Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

010.JPG
009.JPG
013.JPG
images.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

I know this is the wrong Forum list list to post this query, but because it's the first list it does seem to get the biggest crowd, so... anyone know if it's as good as it looks?

I'm very curious because I know someone selling the LE version, and despite being scared to spend so much money on a pin (asking $8k)... I'm very attracted by the game at the same time, but have never seen one in the flesh... so opinions are greatly valued... he may sell it soon, so I have to decide quickly!

Is the rule set good? Is the LE version worth the difference (the seller also has a regular version for sale at about $1500 less).

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I know this is the wrong Forum list list to post this query, but because it's the first list it does seem to get the biggest crowd ...

FYI, most people probably just look at the main forum page and never even bother to check out the individual sub-forums. Any post will appear at the top of this page no matter what sub-forum it was posted in.

#3 12 years ago

8k seems quite high

#4 12 years ago

That's an insanely high price for a Tron LE. You could probably grab a barely played used one for closer to 6K.

#5 12 years ago

both those prices sound high - Tron is still in production, and i'm almost certain the non-LE version is available for less than 6.5k.

LE version has more decorations, and some other stuff that doesn't really effect gameplay, and I think it comes with a shaker motor (which can be added as a kit for less, anyway)

Gameplay is good (was surprised); it's one of Stern's better machines. Not sure how I feel about the increased randomness of Tron (from the spinning disk).

You should not buy it if you havn't played a Tron though - same goes for any machine.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's an insanely high price for a Tron LE. You could probably grab a barely played used one for closer to 6K.

If I was in the USA, probably... but here in Europe we have to pay import tax and shipping, which boosts the price for us

Does anyone have experience of playing the game? If so, is it any good? I'd hate to spend that money and then be dissapointed with the game...

Quoted from DrAzzy:

Not sure how I feel about the increased randomness of Tron (from the spinning disk).

I remember reading about this I think... doesn't it spin at some insane speed and give the ball all sorts of weird spinning dynamics?

#8 12 years ago

If I was in the USA, probably... but here in Europe we have to pay import tax and shipping, which boosts the price for us ...

My apologies. I didn't notice your location. I have no idea what a fair price for those machines would be in the Czech Republic.

I will say that the game is a lot of fun. If you are a big Tron fan, you will probably love it.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have no idea what a fair price for those machines would be in the Czech Republic.

To be honest, I think the seller's price is fair, he's a distributor for the games in Holland and imported 17 of them (the LE version that is)... I don't think his mark-up is that high...

Anyway, my plan is to visit the guy tomorrow and play the std version for a while (the LE ones he has left are still in boxes, so can't expect him to get one out just for me to play with!!), and I can decide for myself

Anyone know if the rule set is deep? (I probably will only spend an hour or so there, so it's quite hard to get a feel for the rules in that time I think...).

#10 12 years ago

Too much$

#11 12 years ago

Anyway, my plan is to visit the guy tomorrow and play the std version for a while (the LE ones he has left are still in boxes, so can't expect him to get one out just for me to play with!!), and I can decide for myself

I would expect, no, DEMAND to put my hands on something before dropping 8k on it.

#12 12 years ago

Yeah, you get some crazy spin on the ball from the disk.

Anyone know if the rule set is deep? (I probably will only spend an hour or so there, so it's quite hard to get a feel for the rules in that time I think...).

Mmm, it's not that deep, from what I saw. I was only banging on one for a few games - the arcade charges 4 tokens (~80 cents if you buy bulk tokens) for Tron! I wasn't really on my game that day and got to Sea of Simulation (played, but not successfully completed, all modes).... I'm sure others could comment more on that.

#13 12 years ago

I agree.....I have it (for a couple more days anyway) and it's a nice game and looks cool but there are better pins out there you can get for that kinda coin!!!

But if your a Tron fan you'll enjoy it.

#14 12 years ago

Pinballslave... Did you happen to look at the forum post yesterday where Best Buy is now selling pins? They have the regular version of Tron for $4,799. Kinda blows away the seller offering it for $1500 off of the $8,000 LE version.

At the very least maybe you can use that as a bargaining point to get a better deal.

#15 12 years ago

Does Best Buy ship to the Czech Republic???

#16 12 years ago

I would say the added $1500 is worth it for the LE. You get the physical upgrades, such as chrome trim, which will cost you money. You also get an additional mode and music. The pf is different so from what I understand you might not be able to get the additional mode with just a software update. The LE will hold its value better as there are people like me who won't buy the pro model since the LE has additional things which affect play.

I would not expect the guy to open up a pin so you can play it first especially when they have a model there for playing. That NIB now becomes a used machine.

I say this, play the Pro model. If you like the way it plays you will like LE version too. If you do not like the pro model you will not like the LE either no matter how much better it looks. A game can have the best lightshow, artwork and music in the industry. If it is a boring chore to play then the game still sucks.

And remember, it costs me about $500 to ship a pin from Cali to Alaska. I can't imagine what the shipping cost is to Europe, then accross Europe to Czech. Then there is the Dollar to Euro exchange rate which is bad since the value of the dollar sucks. Then there are taxes which are a flat 19% in Germany. Not sure what it is in Czech. So $8000 isn't that bad at all.

#17 12 years ago

People, the guy lives in the Czech Republic. "In Czech Republic Best Buys you!" Even if you can get it shipped from a US company, you still have to pay their import taxes.

Tron is a solid title. The spinning disc adds a bit of randomness but it's not nearly as bad as people are saying. It's no worse than the magnets on TAF. It's less pronounced than the AMP suit on Avatar, the Monger on Iron Man and the Buck on Big Buck Hunter (by far the worst of the aforementioned).

The disc is way at the top of the playfield so no matter what it does you have enough time to react.

The rules are fairly simple. You complete the modes to get to Portal Multiball. A couple modes are "throwaway" modes that are super easy to get. A couple are quite difficult, such as Gem and Disc.

Several modes can be stacked, and further stacked with a TRON award and Fast scoring (the most useful is double scoring), and triple stacked if you can work shot combos in. The points can get really incredible, however, the difficult increases as well.

I think at this point in the code, the game is initially fun trying to defeat portal multiball. If you are a fan of stacks and combos, the game has quite a bit of life left afterward. If that's not your thing, you might get bored.

#18 12 years ago

Thanks for all your input and advice... and yes, living out of the US sucks if you want the latest releases at a good price... and it's not just a question of import tax and shipping, the new Sterns that get sold to US customers can't be used out of the US... they have something that prevents the non-US 60Hz mains frequency being usable on the european 50Hz to prevent grey imports (or exports depending where you uare standing!)... I don't know the technical stuff, but basically, if Stern don't set it up for export, then it can't be used out of the US... and apparently they only export 95 of the LE versions of each new title they release... Not sure if Jersy Jack is doing the same 'grey import prevention stuff' to their electronics though...

I'm certainly looking forward to giving the game a blast tomorrow... to be honest I'm kind of hoping to be dissapointed so that I then don't have to decide if I should blow $8k on one!!

#19 12 years ago

Wait, so the LE version has an additional mode + PF changes as well? Has anyone described what they are?

#20 12 years ago

Is that 130K in Koruna's?

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Wait, so the LE version has an additional mode + PF changes as well? Has anyone described what they are?

The LE has everything the Pro does plus the following:

Chrome siderails/lockdown bar/etc.
Drop targets for the TRON target bank
The playfield has silver outlines around all the openings (nothing special but it is different)
Triangular sections on apron are backlit
The light tubes on the ramps
Numbered plate on backbox
A few coats of clear coat
Additional Mode = DAFT PUNK Multiball
Additional Song = Castor
Single slot coin door

I may be forgetting something, but I think this pretty much covers the bases.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

No, I think that pretty well covers it. And if you are wondering if the end product for the LE is good, then I can chime in. I loved it. I don't even care about the TRON title, and the fact that it is a Disney title, made me worry, but playing the LE, it was awesome. No idea if it's worth that much compared to other machines to get to the Czech Republic, but I had a lot of fun and I don't think it would get boring quickly.

#23 12 years ago

My buddy has a dual slot coin door on his LE, but we are in Canada.

Great game, very challenging, lit ramps are awesome, and the spinning disc is great. Not sure it would be my choice for a NIB with all the stuff coming out soon...

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Does Best Buy ship to the Czech Republic???

Doh! Totally missed where he was located... Oh well... I tried to help.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I say this, play the Pro model. If you like the way it plays you will like LE version too. If you do not like the pro model you will not like the LE either no matter how much better it looks. A game can have the best lightshow, artwork and music in the industry. If it is a boring chore to play then the game still sucks.

Good words

#26 12 years ago

You can see a detailed video review of the rules and gameplay at pinballhead.com. This should get you going for your visit tomorrow.

#27 12 years ago

My mistake - not a video review. Link is here: http://pinballnews.com/games/tron/index6b.html

#28 12 years ago

Dr. Who is WAY better!

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Is that 130K in Koruna's?

More like 145000CzK!! It's for sale in Belgium, and the price is 5750euro... Maybe I got my conversion a bit out when I changed roughly to USD...

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The playfield has silver outlines around all the openings (nothing special but it is different)
Additional Song = Castor
Single slot coin door

Aren't you forgetting the animated toy above the spinning disk that tracks the ball... and I believe the playfield has an extra insert that allows this toy to have it's own mode... and I also believe there's also some extra lighting on the playfield to accomodate additional LEDs...?? I've got snippets of info from here and there on this game, but I've no idea if they all made it to production... Doesn't it also have a different lightbox with some 3D stuff in it?? Would be great to get a definitive list of differences... I can't find much on the Stern site!

Can anyone verify if the additional animated levitating ball tracking device made it to production... or if it was part of a weird dream I had last night...?? (I'm not expecting anyone to be able to verify my dreams on here by the way, but if you can, that would be cool too!)

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Dr. Who is WAY better!

To be honest, I hope it is... then my decision to buy or not will be very easy, I'll also have more dough to spend on other pins!!

#31 12 years ago

I wanted to buy a Tron(Pro) and was glad I didn't. Its worth 75cents per play, but I don't think its worth $4,500 for the whole machine.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Dr. Who is WAY better!

That's crazy talk!

Actually, I've never played a Dr. Who so for all I know you could be right...

Aren't you forgetting the animated toy above the spinning disk that tracks the ball... and I believe the playfield has an extra insert that allows this toy to have it's own mode... and I also believe there's also some extra lighting on the playfield to accomodate additional LEDs...?? I've got snippets of info from here and there on this game, but I've no idea if they all made it to production... Doesn't it also have a different lightbox with some 3D stuff in it?? Would be great to get a definitive list of differences... I can't find much on the Stern site!

Can anyone verify if the additional animated levitating ball tracking device made it to production... or if it was part of a weird dream I had last night...?? (I'm not expecting anyone to be able to verify my dreams on here by the way, but if you can, that would be cool too!)

Oops! You're right. I did forget about the motorized toy above the disk. Not sure about the insert being unique to the LE though. All you have to do to light it is get the bank of targets in front of the disk to drop. As far as I know, both the Pro and LE have the lenticular backglass that creates the 3D effect.

I think you may have dreamed/imagined the levitating ball tracking device. I own the LE and there is nothing like that in the machine.

Personally, I love the LE and at this point would rank it as the 3rd best Stern machine behind LOTR and SM. Like others have said, you need to play one for yourself to decide for sure. Of course I say this even though I bought it sight unseen.

If you do decide to jump on the grid you'll definitely want to shell out the extra coin for the LE. I've never played the Pro, but everybody I know who has played one says it is good but that there is something missing. When they play the LE there's nothing missing and it's all awesome.

#33 12 years ago

Here is an in-depth review of the TRON pinball:

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index6b.html

Always...

#34 12 years ago

Wow...
Do I really even need to comment at this point in time?
Well, I will just say this...
Playing the pro model is like having a piece of apple pie. Nothing wrong with it, tastes good, enjoyable.
Playing the LE model- is taking that same apple pie, warming it up, dropping a HUGE scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and drizzling a thin zig-zag ribbon of caramel sauce over the whole thing!

Oh- and did I mention Salma is hand feeding you, wearing this...

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#35 12 years ago

Well said!

4 months later
#36 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Additional Song = Castor
Single slot coin door

Does TRON LE have a factory shaker?

#37 12 years ago

No, but it has the harness pigtail and software ready for one. All you have to do is buy the shaker kit, install, and then enable it in the features menu.

That's all my brother had to do on his.

Later,
EV

#38 12 years ago

Tron LE is the best game in the last 10 years.

Fast and fun.

#39 12 years ago

When does the machine actually run the shaker motor? Must get mechanically very noisy with that and the disc spinning. I'm about to fit a proper plasma display in mine - being European it came with a red LED based one and I don't really like how it looks compared to my proper DMD games.

#40 12 years ago

I have spent a pretty good amount of time on a Tron Pro, and I really just don't like the machine very much. There are some awkward shots on that pin, in my opinion. I really wanted to like it, too, because I wanted to buy an LE just for the light show.

....just my opinion.

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

When does the machine actually run the shaker motor? Must get mechanically very noisy with that and the disc spinning. I'm about to fit a proper plasma display in mine - being European it came with a red LED based one and I don't really like how it looks compared to my proper DMD games.

It depends. You can change it to be very active or less active in the settings.

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tron LE is the best game in the last 10 years.
Fast and fun.

100% agreed. one of the best pins ever made, easily. Stern or not.

Quoted from gambit3113:

There are some awkward shots on that pin

i don't agree, imo. Every shot is pretty easy except for Gem, which is tough, but not too tough. It's the hardest shot in the game, so it's used for Super jackpots and the like.

#43 12 years ago

$ 8K for a Tron LE ,, and $ 6500.00 for a Tron Pro , I Passed on a Tron Pro at The KingsPort Auction for $ 4100.00 , it had 112 games played .. Are you Buy-n from a Retailer ? I Can't believe i didn't Take a better shot of Tron ,, Everytime i wanted to ,, people were on it.. I Played it,, I liked it !! The NIB Transformers sold for $ 3800.00 ..

013.JPG013.JPG 009.JPG009.JPG 010.JPG010.JPG

#44 12 years ago

Tron Le is an awesome game, way better than the pro. Game has serious flow, great speed, awesome sound track, killer light show and four cool multiball modes. Havent been to portal so dont know if that is a multiball. Quorra, identity disc and Daft Punk multiball are amazing multiball modes with killer light show and killer add a ball feature. Lightcycle multiball is ok, but code could make it better. If you disable the upper post it makes it easier to hit the right ramp to start spelling Punk first, then go for the left ramp to spell Daft. When I do this I get to Daft Punk multiball faster. The spinng identity disc puts some srious englsh on the ball, which makes the ball move on the playfild in unheard of ways. There are blue fashers added under the identity disc that light the disc blue,then red. The pro disc is just red. The drop targets make you work for the three modes on the left. The rope lighting around the ramps coupled with the music and the multiball mode makes the experience mind blowing.

I suggest putting some time on a Tron Le and don't rule it out because of the pro.

#45 12 years ago

I love Tron as well, my buddy in town owns it. The lit ramps are sick, sound is great, upper flipper shot is nice. It's also a fairly tough game which is a huge plus in my books. It kicks my ass more often than not. I'd buy one down the road if the price was right....but I have ALOT of Bally/Williams games I want first

#46 12 years ago

Gap, vid 1900 and nimblepin said it all. LE is an awesome pin. No buyers remorse here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-trontron-le-like and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.