(Topic ID: 9208)

What's the toughest, deepest game you own/play.......

By iceman44

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by AbacusMan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

220px-Catherine_winning.jpg
    twins.jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm in a love/hate relationship with my LOTR LE, mostly love.....the problem is that for me to hit the shots I need to hit consistently I need to have a six pack and Toby Keith banging out Red Solo Cup on the Dre Beats Box.......(just hit my top three score)

Either it's me or it's one of the hardest damn games out there ....SM is so much easier by comparison, if you don't nudge just right and hit those lanes just right it's over! And all in the grand scheme of conquering all the different modes....and then there is Valinor which I'll never see and I have a need to complete things

Oh well, what other tough games do you guys like...

#2 7 years ago

It's funny you compare those two games, because I also have them side by side and have had the opposite experience. I am very consistent with LOTR, sometimes having a great game, sometimes not, but generally turning in a respectable game. On SM, on the other hand, I am completely volatile -- I can faceplant a number of times in a row, then dominate one game, then go right back to ignominy.

#3 7 years ago

That's crazy isn't it!.....I will have those side by side with WOZ as well....maybe it's hand eye/visual....LOTR is a darker game and SM is easier to see....I should put my readers on!

#4 7 years ago

LOTR is my toughest game as well. It can be downright cruel at times. Getting all the MB modes primed and then drains my last ball. I use more foul language when playing it than any other I have owned.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

LOTR is my toughest game as well. It can be downright cruel at times. Getting all the MB modes primed and then drains my last ball. I use more foul language when playing it than any other I have owned.

Know the feeling, it's just loud screams when the kids are around though!

#6 7 years ago

I had LOTR for three months, then got rid of it. The ball times were just way to long. So I actually found it to be the easier game to play. Horrible game to play with friends. IMHO

#7 7 years ago

LOTR is second to me in depth. First, by about double that is TSPP, the most complicated machine ever made.

#9 7 years ago

TSPP is another one on my list! I wish Stern would make an LE......

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snowdale:

I had LOTR for three months, then got rid of it. The ball times were just way to long. So I actually found it to be the easier game to play. Horrible game to play with friends. IMHO

I must suck at it, I usually have short times with this one. However I am even worse at Williams Indiana Jones. I can't seem to make a shot to save my life, everything seems so narrow. But it is a blast to keep trying!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

I must suck at it, I usually have short times with this one. However I am even worse at Williams Indiana Jones. I can't seem to make a shot to save my life, everything seems so narrow. But it is a blast to keep trying!

Have you rebuilt the flippers? IJ plays like total shit, more so than any other game IMO, without a proper rebuild and shopping.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm in a love/hate relationship with my LOTR LE, mostly love.....the problem is that for me to hit the shots I need to hit consistently I need to have a six pack and Toby Keith banging out Red Solo Cup on the Dre Beats Box.......(just hit my top three score)
    Either it's me or it's one of the hardest damn games out there ....SM is so much easier by comparison, if you don't nudge just right and hit those lanes just right it's over! And all in the grand scheme of conquering all the different modes....and then there is Valinor which I'll never see and I have a need to complete things
    Oh well, what other tough games do you guys like...

Funny, when I read the thread topic, first thing that I thought of was LOTR!

Really, I don't think of it as being that difficult though because the ball times can be pretty long. But if by difficult you mean things like getting to Valinor, then yes, it is pretty damn hard!

#13 7 years ago

LOTR for deepest. IM is most difficult, for me anyway.

#14 7 years ago

Toughest: CFTBL.

Deepest: TSPP.

#15 7 years ago

I no longer own them, but BSD and ST:TNG were both brutal to play at times. BSD would kill you if you weren't accurate with your shots. ST:TNG's outlanes would make you cry.

I've never owned a 'deep' game like the recent vintage Sterns so can't comment on that.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Have you rebuilt the flippers? IJ plays like total shit, more so than any other game IMO, without a proper rebuild and shopping.

Thanks for the help Atomicboy, they are indeed completely new and plenty strong, I just suck at Indiana Jones for some reason lol.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Toughest: CFTBL.
    Deepest: TSPP.

CFTBL has the toughest multiball, that's for sure. Most multiball modes are just wail and pray for a jackpot. CFTBL's searching the tunnels, rescuing the girl and completing 'CREATURE' in the whirlpool takes it to the next level.

#18 7 years ago

The great part about not being a very good player is that your games stay fresh longer.

I would imagine if I were a pinball ace, I would be rotating games in and out in 3 month intervals due to boredom/burnout.

On another note, I have all my games set to factory or harder settings, 3 ball, and 6.5 degree playfield pitch. The game setup can make the game times longer or shorter in addition to skill level.

#19 7 years ago

LOTR for deepest. IM is most difficult, for me anyway.

Twinnies!!!

twins.jpg

I have LOTR set at 6.8 and IM at 7 degrees.
    Outlanes wiiiiidddde open.
    I guess I just love punishment.

#20 7 years ago

Toughest - BOP
    Deepest - Batman Data east

As you can tell I really need to add to my collection. LOL!!!! I'm hoping for a good bonus/tax return this year so I can pick up a couple machines. I need a game with modes badly.

#22 7 years ago

Confession time....

As far as LOTR goes, I don't know if I will ever own it again so I had to do it...I played the game with the glass off (hand ball?) to see what it takes to get to Valinor.

With ball in hand...it took me 42 minutes! Who has time for that???

Flak jacket is on, better go for head shots on me!!!

#23 7 years ago

The most merciless pinball I have ever owned was Black Hole. Out of well over 100 plays I was able to get multiball exactly once, and it lasted about 5 seconds until the 3rd ball drained. Currently it is FT. Deepest is a tossup between TZ and TFTC, though those are admittedly shallow compared with something like LOTR.

#24 7 years ago

anonymous or who are they??

#25 7 years ago

BSD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TZ was Hard for the 1st Month,, I've owned it for 1 1/2 yr's now, and I Still Enjoy TZ.. But ,, BSD is my Damit Pin !!!!

#26 7 years ago

williams ij

#27 7 years ago

What about TS?

#28 7 years ago

The hardest games I own are probably RBION in terms of rules, and Tron in terms of playfield difficulty. I don't think I'll ever spell Ripley's name.

#29 7 years ago

My toughest game in regards to keeping the ball in play is by far my 1977 Eight Ball. This game will test a Saint.
    My deepest game so far is TZ. Hopefully someday soon I'll be adding LOTR and that'll prolly take the depth category for a while.

#30 7 years ago

As far as hard, TS yes, as well as DW - drain whore supreme.

I'm surprised TSPP has not been mentioned more for depth. Go to IPBD and read the rules if you are not familiar. The game’s depth could equal the total combined depth of the 90s.

It's not my fav, it's getting up there, but there is no question it is by far the deepest.

#31 7 years ago

NP, I asked you not to circulate that picture of my wife and her sister!

#32 7 years ago

LOTR is my deepest game - but as far as kicking your ass I would say BSD is the most brutal of mine, RBION is a close second as far as barely making it thru the modes let alone collecting all the ripley letters. - Neither of them are leaving my collection anytime soon

#33 7 years ago

Own = FT
    Played = TS

I haven't been able to play too many yet.

#34 7 years ago

My deepest is TZ, but SP for me has been a challenge. Just can't seem to hit the Stan shot up the left side through the bumpers.

#35 7 years ago

CFTBL is the hardest of my pins.
    IJ is the deepest.

But I would like to congratulate all of the winners today:

220px-Catherine_winning.jpg

#36 7 years ago

Batman Forever is my deepest, But my hardest is Black Knight 2K. I just can't break the 7.5mm factory highscore.

#37 7 years ago

TSPP by far....... triple multiball on BSD is easy to get for a good player. LOTR is hard sure, but try locking 5 balls on TSPP along with completing all the other stuff to get to the SWM

#38 7 years ago

I have completed the AI 5 ball once. What a f'ing mother of a MB that is...

I still love my TAF the best, and TZ is second, but TSPP is the god of rules and depth for pinball. I don't think we will see another game with depth near this.

For example - locking a ball: Hit the garage to open it, then shoot into the garage, left mini flipper shot into the TV, right shot onto the couch. Missing either shot on the mini PF and it draining and the garage is closed, and you have to try it all again.

Given the theme, I'm surpirsed it is as hard to do simple things such as start MB, as this was aimed at kids, and I can't imagine any non-pinheads starting MB in this game.

#39 7 years ago

deepest? DH
    toughest? Tron

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

as this was aimed at kids,

ya, 30-40 y.o. kids who grew up watching the show

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Confession time....
    As far as LOTR goes, I don't know if I will ever own it again so I had to do it...I played the game with the glass off (hand ball?) to see what it takes to get to Valinor.
    With ball in hand...it took me 42 minutes! Who has time for that???
    Flak jacket is on, better go for head shots on me!!!

That's crazy. I understand some people like those long linear games. I much prefer a game like BSD where you can be in the middle of the endgame within 10 minutes if you're skilled/lucky enough to get all 3 multiball modes stacked.

#42 7 years ago

Noooo... That's what we call a DEEP game PBH.
    If you only own/play shallow-ruled games, you never get to truly experience the truly immersive "all-you-can-eat buffet", of gameplay that is just waiting to be enjoyed. It takes playing pinball to the next level for sure. More focus, more stress, deeper satisfaction after completing something new (to you)...
    I am not saying just "go deep" on all your machines, just saying you are missing out if you haven't given a LOTR or TSPP a fair chance in life...

Mixing speed AND depth into a collection is always a good call!
    Variety is the spice of life... Right?

Oops...
    Sorry about the pic Iceman, I totally forgot!

#43 7 years ago

The Shadow is the deepest game I own. Toughest I've played ever........Shadow and SM.

#44 7 years ago

LOTR by far. Have to keep referring back to the book just to figure out what to do next.

#45 7 years ago

lol theres a book on how to play it?? The manual that comes with the game, or a book you can buy in the shops?

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Given the theme, I'm surpirsed it is as hard to do simple things such as start MB, as this was aimed at kids, and I can't imagine any non-pinheads starting MB in this game.

What makes you think the game was aimed at kids? Genuinely curious.

#47 7 years ago

For me TSPP and TZ. TSPP is very tough and deep. TZ isn't as tough but certainly very deep. TSPP is one of those that will just never go - at least not until I can beat it! Both are NOT just jump on and bang around a few balls games. You have to gear yourself up to play them. They became instant classics because of that rare combination of well executed theme, challenging bordering on frustrating yet still fun and rewarding.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

But my hardest is Black Knight 2K. I just can't break the 7.5mm factory highscore.

How are you at getting the Hurry-Up? Consistently getting those at full or near-full value is crucial to building a decent BK2K score.

#49 7 years ago

Ripleys for me, I still haven't got close to all those RIPLEYS letters!

#50 7 years ago

I'll have to put mine in catagories. Most would agree that LOTR & TSPP are extraordinarily deep, many would argue the deepest. But on to the tough part. My ownership experience has found three to be really tough, one a recent addition.

Cruel Machine: Batman Forever. Almost everything that counts is shot from the left flipper and the modes were really hard for me to complete. Worse, it taunts you in your failure.

Love/Hate Machine: STTNG. Great fun, not super deep other than having three major goals you can pursue individually or as a group (Warp 9, Final Frontier, Engage the Borg), what makes it tough are those gigantic outlane holes. Also, because of how open this widebody is, there are times when the ball can sort of bounce around hitting nothing for long periods of time until it's ejected out of one of those side holes.

New Tough Guy in Town: T/F LE: I've only had it about 3 weeks, but I've yet to complete so much as one single mode. Not that I've been really focusing on that, but making 9-11 shots in a short period of time for each robot requires some precision. I don't know how deep it'll turn out to be, but I'll probably never find out the way I'm getting manhandled by it so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 85.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside