(Topic ID: 161759)

What's the price on a very nice Roadshow?

By BrooklynDrug

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by T7
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

eac8e62c5fefbecb005939bacbf34a1e93e60c48_(resized).jpg
IMG_0401_(resized).JPG
IMG_0405_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0533_(resized).JPG

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

RoadShow is the perfect example of a game that will be going up in price sharply. It's the exact thing seen with Scared Stiff about 3-4 years ago - a thread just like this with everyone saying SS is a sub 3K game. Are you kidding? Then the price shot through the roof. RS won't go as high, but it will jump to be a 4K+ game. Congo is another example, but of an inferior game - sorry but it's true - Congo went up in spite of itself, due to rarity more than quality. The only reason RS is still hanging onto a low price point is the large number produced - as they become scarce, the price will rise. If they made the same limited # as Congos it would be a 5K game already.

Hmmm... No, no, and no. None of this makes any sense. Besides, Scared Stiff is among the most overrated machines to ever exist. RS has been around a $2500 machine for nearly 10 years now. It's one of the most stable pricing examples in all of pinball!

Anyone paying 3k+ for a nice example of this game is simply paying too much. Same with Demo Man and JD. I've seen them all sell in similar price ranges recently (all much less than 3k).

#52 3 years ago

Games like Congo and Shadow have risen in price because they are fun and sought after. Call it what you want but price reflects demand. Roadshow is a decent game but that's all. The theme is lacking and sometimes annoying. I enjoy playing it but nothing makes me want to own one unless I find one cheap.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Comparing RS to Scared Stiff is laughable. The theme / humor is what carried SS to sky high prices. Elviria appeals to the average pinhead like Red and Ted could never do.

Second of all SS BLOWS compared to RS as a pinball machine that is fun to play and with deep rules and awesome layout.

After 5 games of SS I want to blow my brains out.

If I ever wanted to watch that ugly skank again I'd turn on fright night reruns or something.

SS is by FAR the most overrated pin I've ever played.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I could see the restored one from the Ohio show a couple years ago going over $4k, but that's one in a few hundred.

I believe it was around $6K

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-full-restoration-all-chrome-no-expense-spared

#55 3 years ago

The naysayers to my comment most likely haven't been around long enough to know what they are talking about. RS was considered better than Congo, Shadow, and WH20 with a slightly higher price tag for many years (10-15) until the tide turned and those games prices started rising. Looking at historic trends and the history of game preferences, the same thing will eventually happen to RS. The recent increase in RS pricing discussions is an indicator that it is going to happen relatively soon. You can look at the SS threads about pricing in hindsight and see proof of what I'm saying. Also - you will ALWAYS get some number of people saying a game sucks and will never increase - same exact thing happened with SS - just look at the old threads for proof. I'll tell you the main knock repeated on SS -> it's too easy, therefore boring, therefore no good. History is just repeating itself.

If you are smart - buy a really nice RS now while the prices are great compared to 90% of the other Bally/Williams DMDs. As a reference, I bought 2 really nice Scared Stiffs for under 3K each before the jump and it wasn't that long ago. It was obvious then that the naysayers were clueless, and this is the same scenario.

#56 3 years ago

There sure is a lot of price pumping goinng on in this thread....

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

While I won't disagree with this statement, the game does have a lot more value in it than people are giving it credit for. Looking at my collection it will be one of the last to leave if and when it does.

Two people that I've purchased machines from both said they regretted getting rid of RS the most and one of them had already repurchased it and the other was searching for one. It's a challenging game with a lot of replay value. If you can find one for a reasonable price $2300-2500 that's functional, don't hesitate to buy it.

#58 3 years ago

I agree with xblackknightx on pricing. I don't think the price is way out line for a very nice low play example. Fun factor and humor is there on this game too so it is one that will continue to rise over time as more people discover this game. Chances are you won't lose any money buying a very nice example plus you get to enjoy a very nice example Day 1.

As other other posters said, it very hard to find these fully functional and cosmetically nice at this point in time. Shaker motor vibration probably has something to do with the electronic failures. Many of these have fish wear or other Playfield issues that greatly subtract from the value. It is definitely possible to find a cheaper one eventually, but expect to deal with some issues or wear in noticeable areas.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

What have I done?!?!

Yeah, this was to be expected though. I just wanted to gauge what I could get a nice example for, but I'm getting much more info on this thread than i'de thought i'de get. I'm like, ready to buy an RS at a good price too. Just super hard to find one because so many people are price pumping and getting me uninterested in it.

I still want one, but this is ridiculous.

#60 3 years ago

I'd say a nice RS is worth 2 nice JDs so roughly $6K.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

If you can find one for a reasonable price $2300-2500 that's functional, don't hesitate to buy it.

That is my goal here. 2500 or less I will buy but in no hurry.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

That is my goal here. 2500 or less I will buy but in no hurry.

I would love this too. But, usually now that price includes the dreaded fish wear. I can't do fish wear. Ugh. But what can ya do?

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

RS has been around a $2500 machine for nearly 10 years now. It's one of the most stable pricing examples in all of pinball!

Ironically, you just made the perfect comment as to why RS is overdue for a price adjustment.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

I would love this too. But, usually now that price includes the dreaded fish wear. I can't do fish wear. Ugh. But what can ya do?

Not if you shop around. I am not actively looking for a RS, if one pops up I would consider it.

#65 3 years ago

There have been a few players go up for high teens and low twos around the MD in the last year or so... they can be found. Hope the OP can buy one and make it nice enough...play the daylights out of it!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Ironically, you just made the perfect comment as to why RS is overdue for a price adjustment.

So it's due "just because". Ok, that makes sense. LOL! Rock on dude.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

So it's due "just because". Ok, that makes sense. LOL! Rock on dude.

No - look at post #55 for an explanation of why.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The naysayers to my comment most likely haven't been around long enough to know what they are talking about. RS was considered better than Congo, Shadow, and WH20 with a slightly higher price tag for many years (10-15) until the tide turned and those games prices started rising. Looking at historic trends and the history of game preferences, the same thing will eventually happen to RS. The recent increase in RS pricing discussions is an indicator that it is going to happen relatively soon. You can look at the SS threads about pricing in hindsight and see proof of what I'm saying. Also - you will ALWAYS get some number of people saying a game sucks and will never increase - same exact thing happened with SS - just look at the old threads for proof. I'll tell you the main knock repeated on SS -> it's too easy, therefore boring, therefore no good. History is just repeating itself.
If you are smart - buy a really nice RS now while the prices are great compared to 90% of the other Bally/Williams DMDs. As a reference, I bought 2 really nice Scared Stiffs for under 3K each before the jump and it wasn't that long ago. It was obvious then that the naysayers were clueless, and this is the same scenario.

Same thing was said about DW, FT, JM, and so on.
Actually come to think about it, TZ had the same criticisms in 1993, but that was complaints about buying the game new.
At least I did not make the mistake on that game.
The market shows the trends, if you watch closely.

#69 3 years ago

Supply and demand in action. Nice Roadshow are coming around less and less as collectors "in the know" pick them up and keep them. It has unique gameplay and broad appeal that make it a great choice for a pinball collection.

#70 3 years ago

The RS layout is a Lawlor masterpiece and great by comparison to any pin out there.

"Price pumping" as a concept is kind of ridiculous. How many pins get purchased at higher amounts because a few guys are pumping the heck out of it?

Never. People aren't that dumb on here. Pins sit in the marketplace for a reason. And they sell for a reason.

We have a very astute group of buyers/sellers on Pinside

Show me a RS with zero fish wear, no cab fade, clean fully functioning mechs, no wear on city start hole for less than $3k and you'd have a dozen buyers lined up in 30 minutes

Sure, you can get beaters all day long for $2200-$2500

#71 3 years ago

I must say Road Show is a blast! I recently picked one up in decent shape.. Has fade, bit of insert wear, needs legs and a lockdown bar. - Paid 2k (plus approx $200 in parts needed/wanted), so $2200. But, after playing the sh!t out of this, I would happily pay more for a minty Road Show.

I even met Pat himself recently and got his autograph on the flyer!

IMG_0533_(resized).JPG
IMG_0405_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0401_(resized).JPG

#72 3 years ago

UH He said "AS TUTE" in my best Beavis and Butt-Head voice

#73 3 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one that agrees RS is grossly undervalued and I hardly feel that I'm price pumping given I have almost 5 into it and selling it at a huge loss. I've seen worse condition without LEDs sell for 3500 at expo and that was 3 years ago! If you can't afford a tz or taf get a RS since it's derived from those two games. Lots of replay and modes and humor plus tons of Easter eggs from earlier lawler games. Yes the maintainance is rough given the shaker motor could destroy a small home but it's so much damn fun and a great theme for the whole family! 3500 all day is fair for a great example that's got some bling.

#74 3 years ago

Owned rs for over a year along with jd and dm . I think all are good pins for 3k and under (3500 in amazing condition with mods ) but once you get over that price point there are many better pins with better theme and gameplay/rules. Also many newer huo mint stern pros with mods for 4-4500 .

#75 3 years ago

I paid $3300 with a color dmd fully functional and minimal if any fish wear. It sits next to my SS and honestly SS was my grail pin yet I find myself playing RS more...

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

RS was considered better than Congo, Shadow, and WH20 with a slightly higher price tag for many years (10-15)

No, not really. RS has always been an also-ran, due to the linear software, lack of stacking and repetitive quotes. Shadow has always been considered a better game, even back in the 90s when they both sold for around 1K at auction. Shadow's ass-kicking reputation turned off more casual buyers. Congo was unpopular for a long while, then inexplicably became sought-after despite system-11 era rules and a crappy mini-playfield. Whitewaters were cheap because most were blown out and spare parts were hard to find, but even back in the day it was considered a better game than RS.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, not really. RS has always been an also-ran, due to the linear software, lack of stacking and repetitive quotes. Shadow has always been considered a better game, even back in the 90s when they both sold for around 1K at auction. Shadow's ass-kicking reputation turned off more casual buyers. Congo was unpopular for a long while, then inexplicably became sought-after despite system-11 era rules and a crappy mini-playfield. Whitewaters were cheap because most were blown out and spare parts were hard to find, but even back in the day it was considered a better game than RS.

Opinions varied, but RS was always a little more expensive on average than both Shadow and WH20 - therefore I stay with my assessment. Up until at least 2005, RS was on average $200-$300 more than TS or WH20 (for sale, not necessarily auctions). Alec Baldwin was probably the biggest deterrent to Shadow's popularity. And yes - everyone disliked Congo.

To really discuss the games...
- RS - lots of interesting, different shots - excellent flow and toys - cool modes.
---- Some don't like the Theme/Music, and people complain about the linearity

- WH20 is primarily a 2 shot game: VUK + Upper Flipper, and 5X playfield stacked with Multiball is WAY too valuable
---- The actual play area is just too narrow, leaving limited shots - and the rules focus on the VUK
---- NOTE: I like WH20 and used to have one, but think it is currently overrated --- I prefer Fish Tales

- Shadow is actually pretty awesome, but too difficult for many/most as you said
--- it's only the better game for skilled players, RS is better for less skilled players (which is the majority)
--- difficulty and A. Baldwin kept the price low

- Congo - not the best artwork for 90's B/W, rules not easy to understand, feels like a grind
---- Nobody really seemed to care for Congo before, but it has a following now - maybe Popeye will be next?

I recall being in a tournament (Pinbrawl) with Josh Sharp organizing where we played 1 ball on Congo for seeding. The majority of players all disliked Congo and wanted it changed, and Josh just said "I know, I know but at least it's only 1 ball"

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Opinions varied, but RS was always a little more expensive on average than both Shadow and WH20 - therefore I stay with my assessment. Up until at least 2005, RS was on average $200-$300 more than TS or WH20 (for sale, not necessarily auctions). Alec Baldwin was probably the biggest deterrent to Shadow's popularity. And yes - everyone disliked Congo.
To really discuss the games...
- RS - lots of interesting, different shots - excellent flow and toys - cool modes.
---- Some don't like the Theme/Music, and people complain about the linearity
- WH20 is primarily a 2 shot game: VUK + Upper Flipper, and 5X playfield stacked with Multiball is WAY too valuable
---- The actual play area is just too narrow, leaving limited shots - and the rules focus on the VUK
---- NOTE: I like WH20 and used to have one, but think it is currently overrated --- I prefer Fish Tales
- Shadow is actually pretty awesome, but too difficult for many/most as you said
--- it's only the better game for skilled players, RS is better for less skilled players (which is the majority)
--- difficulty and A. Baldwin kept the price low
- Congo - not the best artwork for 90's B/W, rules not easy to understand, feels like a grind
---- Nobody really seemed to care for Congo before, but it has a following now - maybe Popeye will be next?
I recall being in a tournament (Pinbrawl) with Josh Sharp organizing where we played 1 ball on Congo for seeding. The majority of players all disliked Congo and wanted it changed, and Josh just said "I know, I know but at least it's only 1 ball"

I think congo has very nice art and its very colorful and the rules are very simple and easy to understand.... collect diamonds and hit scoops to start modes and get locks ready. Congo is loaded with ramps,diverters, scoops and lots other stuff and if it was king kong it be a very sought after A title . It's very straightforward and easy for newbies to get when they come over.
Shadow is a great player and has lots neat stuff and great rules.
Wh20 is fun but once i got vacation jackpot iy kinda lost its fun with me.
Rs is fun and has two talking heads with four flippers. After getting to the west coast and the wizard mode multiple times the game also lost its fun factor especially starting new york and Miami over and over no matter if u have a good or bad game. All the pins listed are fun and are great value in the 3-3500 price range but congo is the only one thats keeper in my small collection of pinseac8e62c5fefbecb005939bacbf34a1e93e60c48_(resized).jpg

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I agree RS was more expensive than those back in the day, but I stand by *my* assessment that it was the inferior game RS has lots more "stuff" and is a great beginner game, not to mention attractive in appearance, but it gets old... that's why the price never really rose - high churn. Shadow and WH20 started cheap but eclipsed RS as more people liked the gameplay and wanted one for themselves. Price went up as supply dropped.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I think congo has very nice art and its very colorful

That's a great looking Congo - you did a great job with the LED's and it really makes it pop. The color LEDs look nice on Congo. The part of the art that bugs me is the peoples faces - mostly on the back glass. It's great that you really like Congo, I also like games that others may not and vice-versa, just using it as an example for the discussion really.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside