(Topic ID: 179531)

What's the diff between a 30-750 and 23-600 flipper coil?

By goingincirclez

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Rebuilding the flippers on my Pinbot rescue. It's been playing fine, but I like to have the original travel without slop and worn coil stops, etc., and had every reason to think the original parts were still there.

To my surprise it turns out that the coils were different as a result of work done before I got it.

One is a 23-600. The other is a 30-750. Both are OEM Williams blue-label coils.

So in theory, the larger wire with fewer windings (23-600), should have been stronger. But it didn't seem to be noticeably so to me. Apparent response and speed was the same. Can't say I noticed any playability issues. So does it just happen that the smaller wire with more windings (30-750) average out pretty close to identical, performance wise?

~~~~~

Complicating my situation somewhat: the game manual calls for 23-600. But the one in my game overheated at some point and trying to replace the sleeve was very difficult now the new plungers do not fit or operate nicely. But the 30-750 in the game is just fine, AND I happen to have a spare 30-750 as well... although it's a Pincoil "Yellow Label" and supposedly yellow means "weak". So I could have a matched pair by spec, but not by color or conventional wisdom, nor what the manual calls for. Sigh.

At any rate, how much would this affect the game?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

I looked up the Pincoil SFL 19-400/30-750 and the photo shows it rated at 28 volts.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SFL-19-400_30-7
The Williams 23-600/30-2600 coil on Marco's website shows it to be rated at 50 volts.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SFL-23-600_30-2

See, this is what I find fascinating. On paper, you'd expect the 28V coil to be far less powerful and responsive. But it's not! All shots are makeable, and response time is fairly consistent (aside from the slop of worn links) and equal to the stronger 50V coil. I've been playing the game for almost 6 weeks now and there's been no hint that one coil is almost twice as powerful as the other by rating.

Which begs the question as to what's really going on here?

I've even considered the possibility that maybe a coil was re-labeled incorrectly, but that seems to be unlikely.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The big thing to note is that the 28V cool has a much stronger hold winding (to account for the weaker voltage it was designed for), so if you gold your flippers up it's going to get hotter a lot quicker than the correct coil.

Indeed, and yet it's the *correct* coil that melted down to an extent, and is giving me trouble. Go figure! Seems everything I had to fix in this game was sort of the inverse of expectation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-practical-diff-between-a-30-750-and-23-600-flipper-coil?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.