Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-9.jpg
    576px-Early_Pinball.jpg
    abe.jpg
    th.jpeg
    image-25.jpg
    gottlieb-slick-chick-playfield.jpg
    bh.jpeg
    gtb-a1218o.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    PM.jpg
    time warp playfield.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Does anyone really like waiting for the ball to come out of a cluster of bumpers? They look great - although less so on modern Sterns than in the past - but what are they there for?

Some ideas here: http://pavlovpinball.com/whats-the-point-of-pop-bumbers/

#2 9 years ago

I like them set up as a trap ala, Tz, TAF, tspp, xmen, etc etc. gives it some risk reward.

#3 9 years ago

So you can drink your beer while you play.

#4 9 years ago

Without pop bumpers the ball would just fall thru the hole in the playfield

#5 9 years ago

Score points, add random movement to the ball when they leave the nest, etc...I do like pops in my games!

#6 9 years ago

To create random ball action, and to increase scoring.

#7 9 years ago

Increase speed and add random action. It enhances the unpredictability of the game. The fact that so many games have them speaks to their popularity. Great items!

#8 9 years ago

I like when games give you "super pops" or one you can level up like Spiderman.

#9 9 years ago

They play with the ball so you don't have to.

#10 9 years ago

It is sad how most game designers have three ganged pop bumpers in a triangle configuration in every game they make. Why not come up with some different locations, configurations, and uses for the pops?

#11 9 years ago

Pops in a triangle of three seem to do well in randomizing where and how the ball will emerge. Four is overkill, and less, or pops not in a triangle don't give as much of that randomizing effect.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It is sad how most game designers have three ganged pop bumpers in a triangle configuration in every game they make. Why not come up with some different locations, configurations, and uses for the pops?

Spooky has on Zombies

#13 9 years ago

Stern Mustang has 4 pop bumpers

image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg
    #14 9 years ago

some have slingshot mechs combo with the popbumpers like demo man and bride of pinbot. very cool.

There is a reason why the experts place them how they do...Best action and fast paced fun. In development they have tried just about everything over the years to make the best 'action'

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Stern Mustang has 4 pop bumpers

image-4.jpg 142 KB

That's about all Stern Mustang has...

#16 9 years ago

Best use of P/F Real Estate is another reason for limiting it at 3 and not just using 2.

I would much rather wait for the ball to finish in a Pop Bumper Corral than to wait for a flying monkey to pick up the ball and drop it. But that's just me......

#17 9 years ago

Play no fear,made me want bumpers on all my games.......

#18 9 years ago

Pop bumpers evolved from the static bumpers of early pins (incl. flipperless games) that scored points and/or lit objectives. They are great for adding ball action/velocity/randomness.

I think what you're questioning is the relatively recent trend (by Stern) of almost always placing the pops (generally 3) in an enclosed area (the "pop corral") with one or 2 entrances and exits. (I know this was done in earlier games too, but now it seems to be their only pop config.) I'm not a fan of this because it is a pretty lame configuration. Ball bounces around the enclosed area (oooh, loud and fast thunks!), scoring little and having negligible effect on the game, annd then dribbles out a corral exit. Pop bumpers are much more fun when they are exposed to the main playfield and flippers. Compare the pop bumper config of pretty much any recent Stern game to games like CV, TZ and many other Pat Lawlor games, WOZ, almost any EM game and many many SS games. When the pops are exposed on the pf, it really adds to the action. When they are confined to a corral, not so much.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

That's about all Stern Mustang has...

touché

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Older games had much more variety, and even 5 pops:

time warp playfield.jpgtime warp playfield.jpg
    #21 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Pop bumpers evolved from the static bumpers of early pins (incl. flipperless games) that scored points and/or lit objectives. They are great for adding ball action/velocity/randomness.
    I think what you're questioning is the relatively recent trend (by Stern) of almost always placing the pops (generally 3) in an enclosed area (the "pop corral") with one or 2 entrances and exits. (I know this was done in earlier games too, but now it seems to be their only pop config.) I'm not a fan of this because it is a pretty lame configuration. Ball bounces around the enclosed area (oooh, loud and fast thunks!), scoring little and having negligible effect on the game, annd then dribbles out a corral exit. Pop bumpers are much more fun when they are exposed to the main playfield and flippers. Compare the pop bumper config of pretty much any recent Stern game to games like CV, TZ and many other Pat Lawlor games, WOZ, almost any EM game and many many SS games. When the pops are exposed on the pf, it really adds to the action. When they are confined to a corral, not so much.

Yes, it is the corral effect that has become the standard that has made them so darn boring/monotonous.
    Plus, as someone else mentioned in another thread, there used to be goals to achieve on the playfield to make the pops light up and be worth bigger points. I know that the pops increase in value in some modern games, but the lighting up of the pop when it is more valuable would add something extra that is missing.

#22 9 years ago

Zombies has some of the best pop action I've ever seen and has some crazy geometry. Whether or not that makes a game is yet to be seen. :-/

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

When they are confined to a corral, not so much.

1 pop in corral can be rough...go get a drink and wait.

PM.jpgPM.jpg
    #24 9 years ago

They don't have a point, they are round!

#25 9 years ago

I still remember playing old EM games when i started playing games, circa 1960, lighting the pop bumper or "jets' to get higher points. Plus the feel of the game shaking, the chimes going off and the energy transmitted through the game to my hands is always a great part of Pinball that I will never forget.

#26 9 years ago

One of the designers said that Stern always required at least 3 pop bumpers in every design.

#27 9 years ago

Don't forget the disappearing one on CV...so it normally just has two!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Don't forget the disappearing one on CV...so it normally just has two!

Or The Shadow that only has....(gulp)....none.

#29 9 years ago

Pop or jet bumpers add to the "feel" of the game and present scoring opportunities. Although some games are just fine without them.

image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg

#30 9 years ago

Stern's pops ARE boring after awhile.

Check out Interflip's "Dragon" for some wild ball action!

#31 9 years ago

Loves me some amp'ed up pop bumpers......

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

They don't have a point, they are round!

gtb-a1218o.jpggtb-a1218o.jpg

#33 9 years ago

Pop bumpers add action to the ball, and do a great job of it. That's kind of why I'm glad to see the return of drop targets, which do the same thing. Spinning disks, slings...anything that provides momentum to the ball helps the game.

#34 9 years ago

With later Bally/Williams pins and pretty much all Stern pins, it's like they felt they had to have some pop bumpers but didn't have a good reason to include them in the design or the rules. Super jets modes are better than nothing but don't do enough to make pops interesting.

Spider-man gets it right by having pop hits build a value elsewhere on the playfield. I wonder why other sterns don't do this; it's a shame for a pin to have mostly good rules like Transformers and then have this useless section of the playfield that doesn't do anything.

On WOZ the disable the flippers for haunted collect rule is incredibly fun. Letting the player control when the pops pop adds a lot of challenge and strategy and justifies the bumpers being there in the first place.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from jiffy:

Stern's pops ARE boring after awhile.
    Check out Interflip's "Dragon" for some wild ball action!

^^^This.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Or The Shadow that only has....(gulp)....none.

Lots of pins with no pops. Shadow, Junkyard, Swords of Fury, Grand Lizard & Jungle Lord, Judge Dredd... games that make a good case that you're not really losing anything by not having them there

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Lots of pins with no pops. Shadow, junkyard, Swords of Fury, Grand Lizard & Jungle Lord, Judge Dredd... games that make a good case that you're not really losing anything by not having them there

That's the variety that makes pins fun.

Some games need them (Comet, BSD) some don't (Shadow, Junkyard) so it's all fun.

#38 9 years ago

On games like Firepower and T2 where you have Lane Change and the pops are situated below the lanes, you get a mini-game of nudging and trying to complete the lanes when the ball rolls upwards.

#39 9 years ago

Yeah BSD with no pops would be really weird. On some games they play the role of, 'miss a shot and the ball will go all over the place' which adds a lot of the challenge.

They have a place, it just seems to have been lost along the way from 90s manufactures to the self-contained Stern style.

#40 9 years ago

Some pops are really well tied in to a game. I think they are great in JP and electric fence mode.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

So you can drink your beer while you play.

Thats why you need this.

bh.jpegbh.jpeg

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Older games had much more variety, and even 5 pops:

time warp playfield.jpg 112 KB

And newer games, like Lost In Space, also has 5 PoP BuMpErS!!!
    Does any pin have 6 pop bumpers out there?

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Pat Lawlor Games

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

And newer games, like Lost In Space, also has 5 PoP BuMpErS!!!

1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick

x9

EDIT: I guess the other 4 are not technically bumpers.

gottlieb-slick-chick-playfield.jpggottlieb-slick-chick-playfield.jpg

#45 9 years ago

Pop bumpers used to be integral to game play:

image-25.jpgimage-25.jpg

#46 9 years ago

I had this happen after my playfield swap just recently.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I had this happen after my playfield swap just recently.
    » YouTube video

Man you get a good groove going like that in an EM and it's points city baby!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

careful what you wish for! play a well-waxed Black Hole and you will be cursing the decendants of what sociopathic demon placed some of the pops on that game! the pop on the upper playfield near the absurdly shallow left return/out lanes ... innovative ... silly ... awesome.

i could not be a bigger fan of 'em, by the way.

#49 9 years ago

I was afraid it would burn up the coil so I nudged it free.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I guess the other 4 are not technically bumpers.

They technically are bumpers, but not pop bumpers.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-point-of-pop-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.