Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

There easy to remove with a security torq wrench.

What's the point?

#2 10 years ago

To keep people who don't have security torx bits out?

#3 10 years ago

Security is just perception.
    You can smash the backglass with a rock as well.
    Locks keep the bored honest people out.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the point?

Do you mean the torx screw in the back, or the lock on the back box glass?

#5 10 years ago

I was putting in a lock last night etc and just thinking that any lock could be pulled out with the security wrench.

#6 10 years ago

I can see obvious advantages in a public location... You don't want strangers opening your pin's back box and messing things up right? Or shatter the glass...

#7 10 years ago

Why would someone drill out the lock instead of just picking up the cheap torq wrench?

#8 10 years ago

As you could imagine, if the pin companies didn't lock the glass down, people would be opening the back box to either vandalize or thinking they could somehow trigger a free game. Or even steal the translite.
    Lets face it, the locks on the cash box on most arcade games are cheap junk too. You could probably pop one with a screwdriver, but if they weren't there, people would steal the cash or trigger free games.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Why would someone drill out the lock instead of just picking up the cheap torq wrench?

Few reasons...
    Not everyone has the right security bits. And it's not something you can pick up everywhere. I think I had to mail order mine actually. It's not hard to get, but again, if you just got a machine home and don't have the keys or the bits, drill bit is fast and everybody has one!

But as others have said...security is definitely perception more than anything. Easy enough to smash the glass and get to the boards. Easy enough to smash playfield glass, lift up the playfield, and walk away with the cash box.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the point?

Who do you think you are - Seinfeld?

#11 10 years ago

Boards worth more than the take

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

..security is definitely perception more than anything. Easy enough to smash the glass and get to the boards. .

THis makes the most sense to me.

Someone (non pinhead) sees a lock and thinks it's all locked up.

Anyway, my shadow's head is all "locked-up" now.

#13 10 years ago

once upon a time, the replay unit lived in the backbox... if it hadn't have been locked, it would have been very easy to never have to pay to play a game...

#14 10 years ago

Fancy torx head screws are not on every machine lock. If I look at my late 1970's early 1980's collection of Bally pins I don't see any screw/bolt head by the lock, only the lock face. This is why I drill when I can't get into the backbox, it is the easiest thing to attack.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Easy enough to smash playfield glass, lift up the playfield, and walk away with the cash box.

Um, good luck lifting the pf with the lockdown bar still in place.

#16 10 years ago

The lock also keeps the back glass/speaker grill from falling out while transporting, many older games have the lock on the side of the backbox so security bits do you no good on those.

#17 10 years ago

Prevent theft of the backglass or transpire itself. I imagine these would disappear pretty quick and hung on someone's wall if not. Smashing the glass to get the trans light might be an option but makes noise, causes damage to trans light, could lead to injury.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Prevent theft of the backglass or transpire itself. I imagine these would disappear pretty quick and hung on someone's wall if not. Smashing the glass to get the trans light might be an option but makes noise, causes damage to trans light, could lead to injury.

You're missing my point. Anyone with a security wrench can just unscrew the two screws, pullout the lock, and take the backglass or boards.

#19 10 years ago

unscrewing it takes longer than if its unlocked. more chance to get caught.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're missing my point. Anyone with a security wrench can just unscrew the two screws, pullout the lock, and take the backglass or boards.

Depends upon the game/design of the locking mechanism as not all games have security screws that hold in the backbox lock (System 11 and earlier, Sega Showcase, etc.)

And yes, it's as much perception as anything else.

Also, how many people walk into an arcade with a security bit set?

+1 to this:

Quoted from wiredoug:

Locks keep the bored honest people out.

Though more likely to keep guys like us out!

Finally, security bits used to be hard to get. Now just go down to your local Harbor Freight - $10:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html#.UyMUIfldX7M

viperrwk

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

The lock also keeps the back glass/speaker grill from falling out while transporting, many older games have the lock on the side of the backbox so security bits do you no good on those.

This. Also remember when transporting a game with the head folded, (not newer Sterns), to screw the inner latch for the light insert panel securely in the locked position. These can come unlatched during transport allowing the insert panel to open slightly and scratch the hell out of your backglass or translight. I just use a playfield screw to secure the latch. There will be a hole there already for the screw.

#22 10 years ago

What's the point of locking your house? Anyone with a brick can smash a window...

#23 10 years ago

It keeps the translite/back glass in place during transit. I've had them come out if you dont lock it during transit

#24 10 years ago

Locks just keep honest people honest.....

And stops the glass from falling out on shipping.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

yes that takes time and requires someone to have a tool with them. the point is, its NOT meant to stop a determined individual with a plan. Its meant to keep honest people honest and to prevent someone acting out of impulse if it were not there.

#26 10 years ago

Many crimes are crimes of opportunity. Fewer opportunities = less crime.

#27 10 years ago

It's most often about not being the easiest target. Why are there locks on cars for that matter? All cars have easily breakable windows right? Most car thieves actually target cars that are either already unlocked or at least very easy to unlock and to start without a key... A ton of GM vehicles from the late 80's/early 90's fall into this very category.

#28 10 years ago

*edit* Someone already said it. Nevermind.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Finally, security bits used to be hard to get. Now just go down to your local Harbor Freight - $10:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html#.UyMUIfldX7M

Just picked up a set for $7 at their sidewalk sale, as well as a lot of other stuff I did not realize I needed Place was crazy but there were a ton of great deals. Was like a kid in a candy shop.

#30 10 years ago

What's the point of locking your front door when someone could just pick up a rock and smash the side window and walk into your house....

Looks like someone beat me to this point....

#31 10 years ago

I would think the average joe burglar does not carry a security bit handy in his arsenal. I could be wrong.
    I'm thinking more like a crowbar or flat head screwdriver and/or hammer.

My point: If some wants to steal something they are going to do it as quick as possible. Why F around with a security bit? To keep it clean. Pppppppleaseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 10 years ago

I could see how on location, it would stop a 'spur of the moment' theft of a backglass, but as plenty of said, if someone wants to get inside it, they will -- just like many of us have when buying a machine missing the key.

#33 10 years ago

Barrel locks are only for honest people as are most locks.
    As mentioned above if they want to get in it they would. Wood and glass seems pretty easy if you had intent.

At an arcade as a child without a lock I would have likely played all day for free.

It is just to keep honest people honest it will not stop a motivated thief. IMHO.

I have been robbed on location. Luckily not much damage was done to the machines they just walked off with probably 4 bills or so. Most arcade doors were pried open or locks busted screwdriver style. The pins were safe as the keys were in a desk at that location. So they merely opened them and took the money. Due to alarm and the cops showing up on their pathetic A$$'s nothing was taken but cash. First hit was cash second hit was jail.

6 years later
    #34 3 years ago

I know this is an old post but was wondering if anyone can confirm the size of the torx bit that is normally used. I may have a machine coming that doesn’t have a key for the back box so want to buy the correct bit prior so I can access the back box.

#35 3 years ago

T-20

#36 3 years ago

Great, thanks for the quick response.

#37 3 years ago

Depending on the style of the screw head, a pliers will also do the job.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-point-of-backbox-locks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.