(Topic ID: 298191)

What’s the normal frustration level for a newbie re: EM repair?

By Redcloud

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20210809_015752 (resized).jpg
5d6739df9cd97558c817c6a73f3abc694b03b9d3 (resized).jpg
552454060442cd464e7e242a6c7279973a4c7712 (resized).jpg
A913B4F7-EE9F-428A-BCA6-6FE038785919 (resized).jpeg
complex wiring (resized).png
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Just wondering if everyone has this much trouble? I’m a woodworker and clock repairman but learning this EM, Gottlieb, Spin A Card repair, is kicking my butt! I’ve read until I’m dreaming switches and coils and I still can’t make heads or tails out of this schematic!! I can’t figure out why this thing resets the score after every ball. Sure wish there was a repairman in the South Texas area to guide a rookie

#2 2 years ago

The first one is hard! They get easier….

#3 2 years ago

The 2 non working EMs in my basement are telling me it csn be very frustrating

#4 2 years ago

It can be daunting when you start. I honestly still do t get the logic but an very fortunate to have a local pinsider who gets me up and running when I ask for his help. Don’t feel bad. Many have been and still are where you are. I am one of them. Try and maybe find a local enthusiast and ask them if you can PAY THEM fir their time to try and troubleshoot your game. I have up trying to learn the logic. I try and do what I do well and let others do what they do well. You are amongst great company

#5 2 years ago

I would be delighted to pay someone for their expertise. It is always much easier for me to have hands on instead of reading how to do a certain task. At this point, if I get this thing running properly….it may be my one and only……I’ve got enough obsessive hobbies, already…lol. Who, in South Texas, wants to help a brother, out? $$

#6 2 years ago

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Fixing these machines is a lot like looking at those Magic Eye 3D pictures. Some people look at them and immediately they “see it”. Others stare for a long time and one day it just happens and they can “see it”. From there on out, it gets easier each time. A very small minority never “see it” and those people get help from others.

Keep on studying and trying and testing. You can’t hurt anything and when you fix your problem you’ll build confidence to fix the next one.

All of us are still learning.

#7 2 years ago

I’m actually quite proud of disassembling the score reels and cleaning, cleaning and reassembling my pop bumpers, finding and soldering a couple of loose wires and repairing a broken arm on the switch bank….but troubleshooting the resetting issues has got me really scratching my head. I think an hour or two with someone with experience would do me wonders. I’m willing to pay

#8 2 years ago

Start there. Very good info on fixing em machines. Check the older em videos too.

#9 2 years ago

Frustration begins bending over looking into tight spaces.
Remove the bottom board.
Concentrate on one board at a time.

I never got frustrated because I was on a mission and pepared mentally before beginning.
Half measure don't work in the long term.

#11 2 years ago

Maybe of some help.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Maybe of some help.

Yes it will be, thank you #cash_Riprock!

#13 2 years ago

Here is an animation of the typical Gottlieb start up sequence.

Pinrepair.com is the bible, but its a lot to digest..

#14 2 years ago

I'm a EE by training / vocation and have seem my share of ladder-logic schematics, but EM schematics are breed unto themselves. It's not always easy or intuitive, so don't beat yourself up. I got pretty good at working through Gottlieb schematics and then got a Chicago Coin game - whole different scheme.

The things that took me time to understand:

* Latching relays vs. regular relays
* Stepper units (player control, bonus units, etc.)
* Score motor

I've had really good luck with the Pinside community - if I have an issue, I try to describe it as best I can, posit some theories, scan the pertinent bits of the schematic, and post. Usually someone hops in with the answer, corrections (if my theories are way off track), some trouble-shooting ideas or some advice (cleaning or tweaking contacts, etc.)

I also find reading through the EM troubleshooting threads (even if they are not related to my games) useful.

One of the things I love about working on these older games - the creativity of the designers and engineers. My first design projects were TTL circuits - you came up with a design, you bought the chips, you put it together and tested it. These folks were finding creative ways to design digital logic with motors, relays, ratchets - I guess the "mechanical" part of "electro-mechanical" still fascinates (and challenges) me.

#15 2 years ago

After awhile it starts to make sense. (a long while) Good luck

complex wiring (resized).pngcomplex wiring (resized).png
#16 2 years ago

Hi,

If you check in my posts about 8 months ago, I did a post that starts “EM Nubie” where I listed my progress on a Gottlieb Bank Shot I got up and working. At the end of the thread I posted my lessons learned for going thru the progress of totally not working to up and running. It may help.

#17 2 years ago

Hi Redcloud . If you work on something as complex as clocks, then I have high confidence that you can figure out an EM. I treat them as a bunch of little puzzles to solve.

I am an electronics geek, but here are things that helped me:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top

Search pinside for your game and look at the forum posts tab — you might find your exact problem. You can also use google to search.

Post your problem on pinside and tag your game. There are lots of folks who can give you suggestions.

Use jumper cables with alligator clips to eliminate or “force” conditions in the circuit to narrow down the potential switches/relays.

Build a test lamp with 2 12 volt bulbs in series and clip leads wired to the other bulb terminals. This helps to visually show you what parts of the circuit are energized in a gottlieb or Williams 24 volt machine. Bally uses 50 volts so this tool doesn’t work there.

A pinball machine is a big state machine. It starts in one state, switches and relays then cause it to move to a new state. That doesn’t get shown on the schematic and it takes a while to get the gist of that.

A schematic is a logical representation of the circuit, not a physical one, so that can lead to a bit of confusion when you’re looking at the physical wires.

A short circuit won’t be shown on the schematic. Sometimes weird behavior is because of a connection that isn’t supposed to be there. 2 solder tabs touching, a bare wire touching, or a make-break switch that is touching both terminals at once can screw stuff up.

If it’s a machine that’s new to you, odds are that a fix or hack made by a previous owner needs to be done properly.

I hope this helps. It is a fun and rewarding hobby.

Dave

#18 2 years ago

A wealth of info in this thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic

Not sure the frustration ever goes away. I recently solved a long term problem on Hearts and Spades (sister machine to Spin a Card). Someone had attached a wire to the wrong tab, throwing off the entire reset cycle. So there's always that possibility.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

A pinball machine is a big state machine. It starts in one state, switches and relays then cause it to move to a new state. That doesn’t get shown on the schematic and it takes a while to get the gist of that.

That makes so much sense, thanks.

I've been looking at things like relay ladder logic but between the various steppers and the score motor - well, things get overly complicated quickly.

#20 2 years ago

#21 2 years ago

Ok, many thanks to all for the positive feedback and repair links and videos! I’m thinking this EM pinball repair is way over my head. I’m primarily a woodworker and always kept my distance on electrical related issues. Whew!! There is a lot going on under that playfield!! I’m having a tough time comprehending the simplest videos re:schematics. I may HAVE to employ a tech/repairman. I can’t see myself having more than one of these machines as I’m just trying to get this one going for my Daughters, my grandchildren and myself. I’ve got enough obsessive/excessive hobbies, already…lol
Any tech or repairmen in South Texas that you folks are aware, of?
Thanks very much for everyone’s help.

#22 2 years ago

Have you gone through and cleaned every single switch in the machine? That is step one. Do all of the steppers step each way? Some only step up, others up and down (i.e. credit unit). If they do not move freely, it wont work correctly. Have you cleaned the male and female ends of the “jones plugs”? The connections between base cab and head. It sounds like you cleaned the score reels already. After cleaning, make sure each switch that is open, closes, and vise versa. Can you post a pic/pics of the schematics? I am no expert, but if starting with everything clean, you have a better shot at finding the issue.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

I may HAVE to employ a tech/repairman. I can’t see myself having more than one of these machines as

"Call the Man Aunt Bea" (Andy Griffith.)

#24 2 years ago

@phil-lee, Andy Griffith? Could you elaborate?

#25 2 years ago

@SpyroFTW, those are some good pointers. I have not cleaned a lot of the switches,….I was a little paranoid. It seemed that every time I did some “repair” it made matters worse. I can tell the credit unit does not move freely as well as the ball counter. I cleaned the Jones plug but not the female side…so, I can certainly do a lot more,….just don’t want to screw it up any more than it is.

#26 2 years ago

My local printshop enlarged and laminated the schematics…..I couldn’t read that small print, ( too many birthdays!) Enlarging didn’t help me understand it any better…lol

A913B4F7-EE9F-428A-BCA6-6FE038785919 (resized).jpegA913B4F7-EE9F-428A-BCA6-6FE038785919 (resized).jpeg
#27 2 years ago

I would try reaching out to some pinball related businesses in your area. For example:
- Corpus Christi: Third Coast Pinball & Graphics https://www.thirdcoastpinballandgraphics.com
- Houston: Joysitx - Classic Games & Pinballs https://www.joystixgames.com

Maybe they could, at least, put you in touch with someone who could look at your machine.

#28 2 years ago

Thanks, Rampton!

#29 2 years ago

I didn't see much coming up for Corpus Christi, but try a web-search for "Pinball Repair Houston TX", or similar for San Antonio. There are a few hits that you may be able to work with or leap off from.

#30 2 years ago

My best advise is to break the machine down into individual devices, do i have the right voltage out of the transformer, are the fuses blown, do the score reels reset to 0, is the ball return switch open most em games will not reset if the ball switch is open, stepper units cleaned dielectric grease on the finger side of the board, is the jumpers from the factory installed in the correct places, look for missing or dirty contacts. check make and break contacts with an ohm meter, get your self a set of circuit breakers easily purchased at auto parts stores, saves on the cost of fuse replacement, Remember most of these schematics are one line diagrams and control multiple devices, invest in a couples sets of alligator jumper wires of different colors. If checking gi light use all the same color wires to jump from place to place

#31 2 years ago

your ball count stepper is not counting down check the unit for grime sounds like it resets score wheels after ball goes in hole check game over relay contacts.

#32 2 years ago

If you have a ball or player advance unit under the playfield. Don't ever rest it on the front of the machine. It will twist slightly from the weight and throw everything off on the advance switch unit. Check that it is not askew a bit from the weight of the playfield resting on it. If someone has...it can Throw off the ball or player advance. If that's where it's located. It Could be an easy fix. Just loosen it straighten it and tighten it back up.
So it's making full contact. Not in between
If it's in the head it's probably just sticking, dirty and gummed up and needs cleaning.
Never spray anything in the solenoids to clean them. And NEVER lube them with wd40.

552454060442cd464e7e242a6c7279973a4c7712 (resized).jpg552454060442cd464e7e242a6c7279973a4c7712 (resized).jpg5d6739df9cd97558c817c6a73f3abc694b03b9d3 (resized).jpg5d6739df9cd97558c817c6a73f3abc694b03b9d3 (resized).jpgIMG_20210809_015752 (resized).jpgIMG_20210809_015752 (resized).jpg
#33 2 years ago

While it probably wont make you feel any better, let me say that the single player EM's are the most easiest to troubleshoot. No player unit, no multiple player replays or matches.

You have a schematic - thats very good. Try to isolate the problems, locate the misbehaving circuits at the schematic. If your game resets after each ball, check that the ball count unit moves freely and resets. They are often sprayed with WD40 tens of years ago, and now the magic stuff has dried out and makes the unit stuck.

Before trying to clean or adjust any switches, make sure that the switch stack screws on all units, relays, score reels and score motor are tight. Bakelite spacers tend to shrink over the years, loosening the switches. Then clean only those switches that you suspect are causing problems. Normally the switches have slight follow-up movement of the stationary leaf so they clean themselves automatically.

Read the instructions at pinrepair.com, and try locating a technician with EM knowledge who could lead you through the mechanics and schematic. Dont forget to compensate him/her for the trouble.

Once you get this game working, next one will be much easier!

As for the Spin-A-Card, make sure that the spinner unit is working properly and spinner rotates freely. Otherwise the spin randomizing card selection will not work. If I recall correctly back from over 40 years ago, the is a delay relay that is pulled in while the spinner rotates. There might be a capacitor across that relay coil, which probably needs to be replaced.

#34 2 years ago

Start a thread in the EM tech forum here on pinside with your specific issue. I’ve found that learning as you have issues is much easier than trying to learn everything at once. Instead of learning everything about reading the schematic, try to understand the pieces that relate to the current issue you have.

#35 2 years ago

Do not clean every switch! That's the best way to really go into the weeds. You have a mostly working machine just with a glitch. FWIW it sounds like a switch adjustment is needed on the start relay, specifically the switch that tells the reset sequence to activate.

Cleaning every switch is a recipe for making other things wrong.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Start a thread in the EM tech forum here on pinside with your specific issue

Here's his pinside thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spin-a-card-keeps-buzzing

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

phil-lee, Andy Griffith? Could you elaborate?

Episode of Andy Griffith where Goober or Gomer couldn't fix the freezer. Andy kept telling her to "Call the man". She didn't and lost all the food.

Translation, you seem to be leaning toward calling a Tech, which may be the best direction if you feel you can't properly do the repair yourself.
Personally I think you can do it.

#38 2 years ago

Im a fan of Andy Griffith but don’t recall that episode. It’s possible that I may need to “call the man” but my conscience tells me to keep on trying. Thanks for the moral booster!

Quoted from phil-lee:

Episode of Andy Griffith where Goober or Gomer couldn't fix the freezer. Andy kept telling her to "Call the man". She didn't and lost all the food.
Translation, you seem to be leaning toward calling a Tech, which may be the best direction if you feel you can't properly do the repair yourself.
Personally I think you can do it.

#39 2 years ago

If you can fix clocks, you can fix an EM.

Read all the links shared here, especially Clay Harrell’s series of electromechanical repair articles on PinRepair.com and the long EM article on PinWiki.

Ask questions here and you will get good advice.

If you really want to understand these games, however, resign yourself to endless hours of puzzlement and frustration. My first breakthrough came after 18 solid hours of troubleshooting a problem in a 4-player game. After that, it gradually became easier. But it only happened with curiosity, patience, and tenacity.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Do not clean every switch! That's the best way to really go into the weeds. You have a mostly working machine just with a glitch. FWIW it sounds like a switch adjustment is needed on the start relay, specifically the switch that tells the reset sequence to activate.
Cleaning every switch is a recipe for making other things wrong.

@slochar…..I haven’t cleaned every switch and don’t feel comfortable, doing so. I’m trying to work in just a single area at a time so I can go back and “fix it some more”, if I have to……and I’ve had to! lol Thank you for your input.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

If you can fix clocks, you can fix an EM.
Read all the links shared here, especially Clay Harrell’s series of electromechanical repair articles on PinRepair.com and the long EM article on PinWiki.
Ask questions here and you will get good advice.
If you really want to understand these games, however, resign yourself to endless hours of puzzlement and frustration. My first breakthrough came after 18 solid hours of troubleshooting a problem in a 4-player game. After that, it gradually became easier. But it only happened with curiosity, patience, and tenacity.

@leckmeck…..thank you for the confidence booster! PinWiki has been very helpful but I’m not sure if I’m hip to Clay Harrell? Believe me, clock repair is just as puzzling, at times.

#42 2 years ago

@tuukka…..excellent advice! Thank you. I’m questioning whether the ball count resets after the fifth ball. I’ll check that when I get home from work.

Quoted from Tuukka:While it probably wont make you feel any better, let me say that the single player EM's are the most easiest to troubleshoot. No player unit, no multiple player replays or matches.
You have a schematic - thats very good. Try to isolate the problems, locate the misbehaving circuits at the schematic. If your game resets after each ball, check that the ball count unit moves freely and resets. They are often sprayed with WD40 tens of years ago, and now the magic stuff has dried out and makes the unit stuck.
Before trying to clean or adjust any switches, make sure that the switch stack screws on all units, relays, score reels and score motor are tight. Bakelite spacers tend to shrink over the years, loosening the switches. Then clean only those switches that you suspect are causing problems. Normally the switches have slight follow-up movement of the stationary leaf so they clean themselves automatically.
Read the instructions at pinrepair.com, and try locating a technician with EM knowledge who could lead you through the mechanics and schematic. Dont forget to compensate him/her for the trouble.
Once you get this game working, next one will be much easier!
As for the Spin-A-Card, make sure that the spinner unit is working properly and spinner rotates freely. Otherwise the spin randomizing card selection will not work. If I recall correctly back from over 40 years ago, the is a delay relay that is pulled in while the spinner rotates. There might be a capacitor across that relay coil, which probably needs to be replaced.

#43 2 years ago

^^^ This.

About as close to 'hands-on' as you can get and usually with a happy errrr outcome!

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Redcloud:

I’m not sure if I’m hip to Clay Harrell? Believe me, clock repair is just as puzzling, at times.

Clay’s site is pinrepair.com. Lots of information.

#45 2 years ago

Don't give up! Its a learning experience and once you figure out a few things, like how
to read the schematic and understanding how the reset sequence works, you'll
soon become an expert.

Be patient and don't depend too much on the internet 'experts' for anything but the basics.
You'll figure it out.
Steve

#46 2 years ago

For the issue of the score reels resetting you may want to see if the DB relay is resetting when all the score reels reach zero.

around here on the schematic. Sorry your image was a little blurry.

The DB is normally on the relay bank and fires once the game resets. Each reel has a "run out" switch that closes when at zero. I recommend cleaning and making sure they have the correct gap.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Here are a couple of links for the score reel switches.
http://pinballaustralia.com/gotreel1.htm
http://pinballaustralia.com/gotreel.htm

#47 2 years ago

Hang in there and take it slow. Lots of good advice above. Good luck!

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Rampton:

I would try reaching out to some pinball related businesses in your area. For example:
- Corpus Christi: Third Coast Pinball & Graphics https://www.thirdcoastpinballandgraphics.com
- Houston: Joysitx - Classic Games & Pinballs https://www.joystixgames.com
Maybe they could, at least, put you in touch with someone who could look at your machine.

Hey Rampton! Got a response from Third Coast Pinball and I’m sure he’s going to be helpful. Thanks for hookup!

#49 2 years ago

I am very happy to hear that you were able to begin talking to a possible source that can assist. That is great. Last thing you want is to get so frustrated that you just move on to something else as these machines are quite fun when they are working. I say this as I routinely have my local tech come out fir misc problems that just occur. Machine has not been moved, cleaned or even played and yet when I go to turn it on that next time, something is not right and the machine does not work. The old adage is true. If it’s not broken it’s not pinball.

While I completely appreciate all those that have been very encouraging and offering of great information, for some, like myself, I would just prefer to have someone with the right skill set come over and handle the issue. Pinball stays fun for me this way. I loathe having a machine that is not working properly even though mine get precious little use. They have to be right.

Do what you do well and let others do what they do well. Just because you may not have an affinity or desire to learn every aspect of pinball maintenance does not mean anything other than you don’t want to do it all. For those that can I admire you. You can do something I cannot or will not devote the time for do to other commitments or plans. I can do some basic stuff and that is where I knowing it is more involved call “the guy”!! I take pride in what I can do and admire what others can do. Put them both together and my machines are always up to snuff!!

#50 2 years ago

Hey mate ,don’t give up on searching for a repairman ,that’s how I first started understanding how e.m,s work .I found one years ago in a phonebook ,I know phonebooks etc are obsolete now but you might find an old guy still fixing pins & have old ads .

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-normal-frustration-level-for-a-newbie-re-em-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.