(Topic ID: 15844)

What's the next pin were going to lose to outrageousness?

By Slate

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-02-18_17-31-23_802.jpg
    bad-baseball-cards-1.jpg
    tulipss.jpg
    flip-this-house.jpg
    Elvira.jpg
    sgt._shultz.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdg1980.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 11 years ago

CPR has a lot of System 11 playfields in the pipeline (including Whirlwind). I wonder if the availability of these will drive up prices.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I pre-ordered one of those just in case.

I don't have any interest in this particular game, but it's popular enough that I've seriously considered preordering one as an investment. Based on past experience with other repro playfields for high-interest games, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price shoot up to $1000 once the run sells out.

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The two factors that will lower the prices is an increase in supply, or less demand. I don't see either ever happening

I disagree. If demand remains high, sooner or later someone will start making reproductions of the most popular and expensive WPC titles. Just because Wayne Gilliard couldn't get it together doesn't mean no one can. I expect MM and AFM to be the first titles reproduced because of several factors: relatively low bill of materials, very high demand, and no third-party licensing to worry about. Planetary Pinball seems to be pretty good about working with those who are reproducing Bally/Williams parts, so I'm sure a deal could be struck for the reproduction of full machines. Most of the custom plastic molds for WPC games seem to still exist (judging from the existence of reproduction parts) and IPB has already remade the playfields, and presumably still has the needed artwork. The biggest challenge actually might be the boardsets; it would make sense to work with someone like Ed Cheung to create FPGA-based MPU and display/sound boards so it isn't necessary to source obscure and outdated chips.

#128 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Productions of past titles or newer pins with high quality/reasonable cost might effect prices, but you have to remember how difficult it is to make these machines. Jersey Jack is able to do it because he has start up capital AND a passion.

Oh, definitely. Making reproduction machines would be a labor of love. But I am convinced it could turn a decent profit, too, if done right. Someone, probably in the next decade, is going to give it a shot.

Even if productions are made - it won't be a Bally/Williams. I used to collection vintage movie posters - and reproductions are worth next to nothing. They are made with the same materials and the reproductions are printed with better paper, but collectors want the originals.

I have to disagree to an extent. I don't think this is nearly as much the case with pinball as it is with other collectibles. People already don't really care about originality; many of the high-end restorations we see are basically new machines built by hand with reproduction parts and a handful of difficult-to-replicate assemblies (wire harnesses, ball guides, etc.) ported over. If a machine has a new reproduction cabinet, new reproduction playfield, and NOS or reproduction parts for pretty much everything mounted on that playfield, is it really a Bally/Williams "original"? This is without even getting into the mods people routinely do to their machines - not just toys, but stuff like replacing under-spec'd IDC connectors for general illumination with Molex Trifurcon connectors.

If you look at the current pinball market, people want a machine that looks and plays good. Originality is a secondary concern at best.

What made this hobby impossible for the average person is Doctors, Investment Bankers, and other wealthy invididuals got into the market which priced it out for people like me.

Agreed. The big question is whether these people are here to stay, or if they will eventually get bored and leave.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdg1980.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-next-pin-were-going-to-lose-to-outrageousness?tu=jdg1980 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.