(Topic ID: 15844)

What's the next pin were going to lose to outrageousness?

By Slate

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-02-18_17-31-23_802.jpg
    bad-baseball-cards-1.jpg
    tulipss.jpg
    flip-this-house.jpg
    Elvira.jpg
    sgt._shultz.jpg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Talking about the crazy rise of certain machines that pretty much put them out of reach of most of us.

We lost MM a few years ago and this looks to be the year where AFM is a goner also. With AFM fetching 8k and up...

MM and AFM were main stream prodcution so would not want to include Cactus Canyon or BBB.
    And we know MB has been in the high prices despite not low prod #'s.

I am clueless, all have been creeping up slowly but nothing like we have seen AFM this year.

#2 11 years ago

If you talk about it it will rise...thats how it works.

#3 11 years ago

I'm hoping for Rolling stones to go up.. Something I don't like to play, so price increase won't bother me. How about Baywatch? (no offense to you baywatch and stones fans).

#4 11 years ago

Gilligan's Island, it's a very underrated pin IMO. It's steadily gaining a rabid fan base.

#5 11 years ago

I don't consider these lost. If you borrowed money to buy one even (not that I recommend it) you could recoup your costs 6 months later when you sell them. But my guess is monster bash and cirqus Voltaire will be next to explode. Also tron seems to be climbing fast. If stern makes another run or a run of premiums though that may satisfy tron. I predict in a couple years spiderman is outrageous. Demand for that is extra high lately and its value seems to be back over $4k.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

. But my guess is Monster Bash and Cirqus Voltaire will be next to explode.

MB has been ridiculous for quite some time now.

#7 11 years ago

Spiderman is already harder to get than MB or CV.

#8 11 years ago

Yep. Pricing for AFM hit the stratosphere and is now out of reach for many people, including me .
    Anyones guess for the next one. I read in a recent thread that its going to be Gilligan. Joke of course and I wish I could give credit to the original poster because his theory on price-increase still has me smiling. Edit: Dewey-was it you?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Gilligan's Island, it's a very underrated pin IMO. It's steadily gaining a rabid fan base.

Is your master plan working yet?

#10 11 years ago

Starship Troopers!!! (kidding, but not really, I love that game, haha)

#11 11 years ago

I think that sites such as this one are very good for the pinball community, but at the same time contribute to what you are talking about. For people that are just entering the hobby, they will go straight to websites like these and look at what pins are popular and hogging the top ranking spots. Let's be honest, without buying these titles the only way to see/play them is to visit the home of a private collector or go to a pinball convention. I think this has caused many people to buy games just based on ratings of these sites, which in turn has caused the supply of these games to dwindle quite a bit. My best guess going into the future would be to look at the games hogging the top ten that are out of production.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If you borrowed money to buy one even (not that I recommend it) you could recoup your costs 6 months later when you sell them. But my guess is Monster Bash and Cirqus Voltaire will be next to explode.

Agreed... but 6 months would not be a simple recouping of costs, it would be flat out profit. Going forward it's important to note that once collectors items are considered an investment, watch out for the bottom to fall out of the market at some point, sooner than most would like.

For the most part MB is already an $8k pin, it tracks fairly well with AFM pricing. CV is already close behind.

#13 11 years ago

Dewey68 said:Gilligan's Island, it's a very underrated pin IMO. It's steadily gaining a rabid fan base.
    Is your master plan working yet?

"I know nothink"

sgt._shultz.jpgsgt._shultz.jpg

#14 11 years ago

As I just got a TS, I hope that makes a significant rise.

#15 11 years ago

RFM. It gets talked up how it's better than AFM but at a fraction of the price. So it won't be such a small fraction much longer.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

"I know nothink"

Why doesn't your collection show the 25 Gilligan's Island pins that you've got stored in a warehouse?

#19 11 years ago

Theatre of Magic (biased)

#20 11 years ago

I think TOTAN, SM, and LOTR will gradually rise. The reasons are numerous. One reason is there really are not that many of them when you compare them to TZ and TAF. Another reason is that the gameplay is fairly good and they have themes that are generally appealing to many. Additionally, there are a lot of new people filtering into the hobby and demand is rising in general, and if you are going to spend thousands of dollars on something you might as well get as good of a game as you can.

#21 11 years ago

BSD.

DRAC ATTACK!

BUUUUT....you never really lose a pin. Thems things is outs theres.

#22 11 years ago

Scared Stiff is schd next! I checked!!

#23 11 years ago

Pretty sure it will be Raven.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

spiderman is already harder to get than MB or CV.

Huh? BOTH are difficult to find, period!!

#25 11 years ago

CV will rise when playfields are available. Also expecting to see SC start to rise.
    I don't see BSD rising too high, too difficult to play.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Hwawonyu said:spiderman is already harder to get than MB or CV.

Agreed. I'm leaving a spot open in my collection for a CV but, with other major pin purchases I already made this year, I can't even consider it for a while. I fear it's already getting out of reach; not just due to price, but also due to the numbers produced.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Well I ran in to both with no problem but it took a while to find SM. Guess its mostly luck and timing. Either way most people seem to prefer playing SM to these two. For me SM #1, MB #2 and CV is OK.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Pretty sure it will be Raven.

lol You never know I guess.

I think a majority of the Bally/WMS 90s titles are going up. WH2O, Shadow seem to be going up. JD maybe next, who knows.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

How about Baywatch? (no offense to you Baywatch and stones fans).

I wouldn't trade my Baywatch for a No Fear... Just saying.

#30 11 years ago

Still very affordable, but FT has to be one that is going to rise. Fun game, lots of them made, but most are in rough shape due to worn PFs and being prone to fade.
    I doubt it will ever be out of reach, but it's definitely already gone from a $1500 pin to upwards of $2500 in just a few months.

#31 11 years ago

Indiana Jones (Stern), Nascar, and hurricane are hot hot hot! Got to agree with jarjar Raven is on it's way to legendary status as well.

#32 11 years ago

Skateball, Shadow, Fishtales, TSPP, and BSD...

How about any new LE pin? 7000 for acdc with a stupid mini playfield, and crap rules, and clipart designed artwork? No thx haha

#33 11 years ago

I think you guys are forgetting Hardbody

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Indiana Jones (Stern), Nascar, and Hurricane are hot hot hot!

I know you are kidding...but Stern Indy IS friggin' hot. They didn't make many, the theme kicks butt, and it has a fantastic, accessible toy that makes people grab their friends and say: "Look at this!"

Sure, hardcore pin folk hate it...mainly because of how you have to play it to get a good score. (Plow-fest!)

There is a reason that a ROUTED IJ4 just sold on eBay for nearly $5k...with only a couple of really bad pictures (and no shots of the cab). Make fun...but that title isn't going down in price.

I'd also pick:
    Safecracker
    ToTAN
    Predator
    Cirqus Voltaire

...as games that will be on the rise.

Pete
    --
    Here's my Arcade: http://i.imgur.com/cyCng.jpg

#35 11 years ago

I think there is a Popeye bid up at about $3000 on Rbay right now...

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Every time I see that back glass it makes something else on my body hard

#37 11 years ago

Tron LE is already there I think.

#38 11 years ago

Had CV and it got boring fast for such a beautiful game. I'd guess that SM, TOTAN and LOTR are next to go up the hill. FG might be up there too since there were so few made and the entire game is so unique with its layout and so bizarre with the call outs.

#39 11 years ago

Already saw a TSPP on CL for $8K. Maybe that or WH20.

#40 11 years ago

Waterworld?

#41 11 years ago

Please keep talking up all these Sterns. I am sticking with the early to mid 90's DE and B/W, so just talk those Sterns up to kingdom come. Keep the ones I want affordable.

The pin market is probably the closest I've seen to the crude oil industry. Lots of talking and speculation followed by a rocketing of prices on certain pins and a gradual and general increase of the product in question. Pretty much none of them lose value; it's like once a pin hits a increase in price, it is NOT falling - reminds me of a zip-tie - stays locked in place once set.

Shame AFM is pretty much off my radar now. Routed machines at 8k = ridiculous and unnecessary. MM is a masterpiece, but when we start talking prices of new cars here - come on. I won't even go into CC and BBB territory - those prices just make me laugh.

Now if I had a job that paid me $3000 a week, I'd be making it rain like a hurricane snatching these pins up. Alas, we live nowhere near perfect .

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Winball_Pizard said:I think you guys are forgetting Hardbody
    Every time I see that back glass it makes something else on my body hard

lol

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Pretty sure it will be Raven

You guys are KILLING ME! I sold both of those this month. LOL

#44 11 years ago

I'm not sure how long the older pins from the 90's are going to keep increasing in value (note I am not saying they will decrease) when all these new manufacturers get their pins out (and Stern continues to improve their pins, I think we all agree Stern is spending more money on their pins now, which is good). Eventually, the older pins will start feeling dated and people will gravitate to the newer pins and their prices will rise while the older pins have little movement up or down.

SM and LOTR are going to have big bumps in prices in my opinion.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Eventually, the older pins will start feeling dated and people will gravitate to the newer pins and their prices will rise while the older pins have little movement up or down.

I have to agree. Always loved pinball and then forgot about it for years. Along came Pinball Arcade and I got all excited. Put a budget together of about 25-30k and started research. Obviously in short time I planned on owning MM, TOTAN and TOM etc.
    Was very fortunate to find two local guys with two different collections. One was the classics and was almost all new Sterns. Both played awesome.
    After that I realized I am not in to restoring, I like themes my kids will also be excited about and I love the new technologies and just buying newer things.
    My money went to a newer collection.
    I bet with LCDs, new makers and Stern ramping it up you will see exactly as stated above happen. Probably will take three years but newer folks coming in will want newer games as they come out and as more tables hit Pinball Arcade more tastes will also diversify.
    Given that If I had a MM, MB, AFM, TOTAN, and TOM I would look to sell soon. meanwhile SM and LOTR are getting hotter by the day. B and C titles are just going to languish.
    Best plan is buy and own what you like, not what speculated on : )

#46 11 years ago

Improvemts to older games, the colour DMD for example, are going
    to help keep certain titles from seeming obsolete. The millennium was the first in several decades where pinball did not see a significant advance in technology. Look at the average value of DMDs vs SS games.

So what will the next advancement be? LCD displays? If so I'd like them to be small on the backbox, like the DMD. If a bigger one is used, maybe right in the playfield.

Pinball 2000 was a failed attempt at pinballs decade driven advancement. It would take something big to make people dump the better DMD games for new stuff.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I know you are kidding

Sorry, to me it is one of the worst pins ever made but as always to each their own. I doubt it will be a pin who's value skyrockets but anything can happen in this crazy world of pinball. There will be a defender for almost every pin out there. I was just throwing out a few I did not care for in good fun. As long as the owner/buyer likes it that is all that really matters.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

I wouldn't trade my Baywatch for a No Fear... Just saying.

hehe.. NF was never my first choice, I'd never say that's the next one to increase.. even though it did increase after I got it.

Besides, everybody poops.. the next big dollars game has to be one with a toilet on it, Austin Powers, South Park, or Junkyard.

#49 11 years ago

Whirlwind . Maybe some other top Sys11s will move up in the ranks as they are half or less of the newer pins. I would conisder Whirlwind a HEP candidate for instance.

#50 11 years ago

CPR has a lot of System 11 playfields in the pipeline (including Whirlwind). I wonder if the availability of these will drive up prices.

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-next-pin-were-going-to-lose-to-outrageousness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.