2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0848 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0847 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

( yes, a little bored before heading to the soccer fields, so came up with a couple topics):

It seems when I joined Pinside 4+ years ago, TZ was somewhat the king of polarity ( loved it or hated it). Over the past few years, there seem to be many titles that people don't get worked up about either way, but a few truly polarize the community. I believe we all love pinball in general, but curious which machine is currently viewed ( by you) as the most love/ hate title, and why?

This is not necessarily one that you in particular like or don't like, but more one that creates the greatest apps in opinion.

My most current guess would be WOZ ( I personally love the machine, but know quite a few that would never touch it). Same migh be said for AC/DC, GB, etc.

Which one do you think lives on " both sides of the fence?"

#2 2 years ago

There's a new pin coming out that will surely take this title - "Santa vs the Penguins"

#3 2 years ago

Dialed in

#4 2 years ago

The day any pinball machine becomes "polarizing" is the day I quit the hobby.

There's nothing polarizing about pinball and hopefully it will stay that way.

#6 2 years ago

In my house, definitely Jumping Jack. I guess those ladies on the backglass are not as universally loved as I had hoped.

#7 2 years ago

Batman. It pulls all players in and won't let go.

#8 2 years ago

Think this would be my current choice, as well

#9 2 years ago

Dialed in

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Think this would be my current choice, as well

+1

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Dialed in

+1

Ya I would agree too. It will probably play awesome and be a fun though. I'm still in in an le but when it first was announced it was disappointing

#11 2 years ago

I might recommend stopping in and catching up with the jpop/mg thread if your looking for polarizing games.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I might recommend stopping in and catching up with the jpop/mg thread if yournlookimg for polarizing games.

Ouch!!!....true, but meant it in the gameplay sense, not the douchebag version. That whole thing just blows my mind....

#13 2 years ago

Ghostbusters. Should have been a game that was universally loved - and for some the theme and art was enough to get them past the horrid design & linear rules. It's definitely a love it or hate it game. I don't see a lot of people in the middle on it.

#14 2 years ago

Hard to think of too many out of current models....seems pretty meh either way....did SMVE ever become a polarizer? Never read the threads, as I just like the original Stern I have, so didn't really notice.....

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hard to think of too many out of current models....seems pretty meh either way....did SMVE ever become a polarizer? Never read the threads, as I just like the original Stern I have, so didn't really notice.....

Maybe a little. Team OG Spidey vs. Team Vault Spidey. But at the end of the day, there's a choice - so everyone can be happy ....and regardless of liking one over the other, it's still the same great game.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ghostbusters. Should have been a game that was universally loved - and for some the theme and art was enough to get them past the horrid design & linear rules. It's definitely a love it or hate it game. I don't see a lot of people in the middle on it.

Your infatuations with Ghostbusters is concerning, kinda like....fatal attraction concerning! I bet you lay in bed at nite dreaming and tossing and turning mumbling things about Ghostbusters in your sleep!

#17 2 years ago

Polarizing.......that would be GB Premium for sure!

#18 2 years ago

Maybe MB... a lot of dudes think of it as a girly pin for some reason. The rest love it.

I hate White Water (I own one) but I might be the only one who hates White Water

#19 2 years ago

MB is for girls? No way, that's one of the most awesome pins ever! Monsters and Pinball go together good!

#20 2 years ago

South Park.

Always popular in barcades, but pinheads hate it.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe a little. Team OG Spidey vs. Team Vault Spidey. But at the end of the day, there's a choice - so everyone can be happy ....and regardless of liking one over the other, it's still the same great game.

Makes sense....

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Your infatuations with Ghostbusters is concerning, kinda like....fatal attraction concerning! I bet you lay in bed at nite dreaming and tossing and turning mumbling things about Ghostbusters in your sleep!

Nope! I sleep great knowing I never have to be frustrated by its horribleness ever again. Yet you love this piece of shit and tout its virtue all day long. See? Polarizing.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Nope! I sleep great knowing I never have to be frustrated by its horribleness ever again. Yet you love this piece of shit and tout its virtue all day long. See? Polarizing.

Obviously, GB seems to fit the bill.....I've never actually played it, but there is certainly passion on both sides .

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Batman. It pulls all players in and won't let go.

That's not polarizing...rather " magnetizing".....and agree, btw..

4 months later
    #25 2 years ago

Has to be these two:

IMG_0847 (resized).JPGIMG_0848 (resized).JPG

#26 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars. A game that has a theme of massive amounts of opportunities, but fails on it, especially the artwork. However, Steve Ritchie designed games are always great to play.

#27 2 years ago

Answering based on current games - My vote is The Hobbit - WOZ and Dialed In seem to have polarizing themes but TH is an "everybody loves the theme but not sure about gameplay" situation

#28 2 years ago

For this to even be interesting, by polarizing you'd have to mean a game where there are a fairly equal number of lovers and haters (i.e. opposite poles.) So, that's a smaller group of games, and probably doesn't include TZ or MB or Dialed In, even. Probably GB, or maybe BSD, ... or even Tron sometimes gets hugely mixed but passionate reviews.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

For this to even be interesting, by polarizing you'd have to mean a game where there are a fairly equal number of lovers and haters (i.e. opposite poles.) So, that's a smaller group of games, and probably doesn't include TZ or MB or Dialed In, even. Probably GB, or maybe BSD, ... or even Tron sometimes gets hugely mixed but passionate reviews.

I think DI fits pretty good right now....

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think DI fits pretty good right now....

I think di is more neutral than polarizing. Most of the music pins can be polarizing. Di seems like it would be in unexplored territory for people and they might find it fun to explore the unknown.

#31 2 years ago

Dialed in or Star Wars. The battle cornrages on!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Dialed in or Star Wars. The battle cornrages on!

If by polarizing the OP doesn't mean polarizing but means "on the fence over" then, yeah, I'd agree.

#33 2 years ago

woz. some love it and others would like to see them stacked up in a giant pile and set on fire.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

If by polarizing the OP doesn't mean polarizing but means "on the fence over" then, yeah, I'd agree.

Nope....."polarizing".....love it or hate it......

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

woz. some love it and others would like to see them stacked up in a giant pile and set on fire.

Great example...I love it, btw...

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkleinnd:

Ha true but a ton of people Can;t stand the non theme of dialed in, and yet feel betrayed by the "emptiness" of SW.

#37 2 years ago

... Yes!, and the great shots of Dialed In and the great theme of SW pulls those same people back in the opposite direction and puts them, me, and all of us, frustratingly, "on the fence". Ugh.
    Not the case with WOZ, where I agree with the OP that WOZ "is" polarizing.... in that there are 2 firmly opposing camps evolving- the lovers and the haters. (I'm a lover by the way. )

#38 2 years ago

I would have thought it was The Hobbit. I'll be honest I've never really enjoyed any of my time playing that game, but I know lots of people love it... but then again I feel like I've heard lots of other people besides me hate it.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

I would have thought it was The Hobbit. I'll be honest I've never really enjoyed any of my time playing that game, but I know lots of people love it... but then again I feel like I've heard lots of other people besides me hate it.

True....it's been seen more in the " best JJP" thread. Think most newer pins have their share of lovers and haters, for whatever reason. IDK if Hobbit is polarizing, but could be in the discussion.

I'm thinking long haul, DI will have the greatest polarizing effect amongst pinsiders ( fitting to my original comparison of TZ...a game I truly enjoy)

#40 2 years ago

If by polarizing you mean one's brain trying to override the need to spend near $10,000 on some of the turds that have come out lately, then probably most of them.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If by polarizing you mean one's brain trying to override the need to spend near $10,000 on some of the turds that have come out lately, the probably most of them.

Too funny!!! No, I've got other terms for that....won't share, as I've been guilty of a few myself...

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I think di is more neutral than polarizing. Most of the music pins can be polarizing. Di seems like it would be in unexplored territory for people and they might find it fun to explore the unknown.

Ooooo I was thinking polarizing themes, as in you look at the game and don't want to drop in quarters just because of the theme. My bad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 11.95
    $ 40.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside