(Topic ID: 189830)

What's the magic production number that is considered rare?

By CaptainNeo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Colsond3
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What production number is considered rare?”

• Less than 100 46 votes
      27%
    • Less than 500 60 votes
      35%
    • Less than 1000 45 votes
      26%
    • less than 1200 4 votes
      2%
    • less than 1500 9 votes
      5%
    • less than 2000 3 votes
      2%
    • less than 3000 3 votes
      2%
    • less than 4000 1 vote
      1%
    • less than 5000 2 votes
      1%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rare (resized).png
    IMG_20170524_160300514_TOP (resized).jpg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

A game with around 500 made is about the highest that will ever be considered rare, but based on time and life factors it needs to be around 100 or less still in existence to really be 'rare'.

I've been in the hobby about 7 years, and I think it really depends on the title as well. As Whysnow said, truly rare is probably 100 or less, or maybe even 200. But as a person who loves horror things, especially anything vampire, I wanted a Bally Vampire badly when I realized they were out in the world. One of only 3 true U.S. produced vampire pins (BSD, Stern Dracula and Vampire), I thought it wouldn't be that hard to find with a production number of 799 units. 6 or so years into the hobby, I had only come across 3 or 4 of them, including the one I finally bought from out in Louisville last September.

Although a production number of 799 is higher than most on here are considering as "rare", here's what I also consider:

250 or more of them probably found their way into landfills....destroyed, discarded, long forgotten.

100 or more of them were probably parted out or combined with non-working examples so someone had a flippable game.

50 or more of them are probably sitting in a barn, operator's warehouse, shed, garage or basement rotting away.

So that leaves around 399 games (conservatively) in "circulation". However, only 18 Pinsiders have the game in their collection, and 24 have it on their wishlist. On Pinball Owners, only 16 games found. Where the hell are the rest of them? Given the frequency they come up (never), how many people that have them and are willing to sell them (none), I think even with production at 799 it's a pretty rare game, and I would estimate that there is actually less than 100 left in the world.

I think this would hold true for a lot of games with production less than 1,000 or even 1,500 games...so the production numbers themselves cannot be relied upon as showing a game's true rarity. Just my two cents.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-magic-production-number-that-is-considered-rare/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.