(Topic ID: 172205)

What's the longest you've left a game on for?

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

So I sold a CFTBL - a nice one - to an office building. I sent them a basic maintenance guide which I guess they didn't bother to read.

Game was having a display issue so I went by to check it out.

It sure was hot in that game room. I asked them if they have been turning their games off at night (They also have a new Stern KISS).

Nah. The Creature has been on - 24/7 - for over a week. Like it's a server.

That KISS game has probably been on for about 3 months straight. They said they've never turned it off. Not once.

So what's the longest you've had a game on for? What problems do you see this causing? At the minimum you are looking at unneeded stress on components, and certainly premature aging. But that KISS game - I'm wondering how long you can leave a game on - even a brand new one - without starting to see problems. 6 months? A year?

I've asked the guys to start routine power down at night (it's a 9 to 5 office!) and hopefully they will comply. I think the display board is cooked.

#2 2 years ago

One thing I have noticed with games that are on all the time is that the leds don't look as crisp and bright over time.

#3 2 years ago

I've done 2 days straight for burn in testing

#4 2 years ago

As long as you've done the proper bulletproofing: power board, connectors, ect. your game should have no problem sitting on for several hours a day.
    If the game is on location, this is very common.
    I would expect the staff would power down the games at closing. Or to have some kind of timer to shut them down.
    Leaving them on with nobody playing is wasting energy/money.

#5 2 years ago

Anyone know why my rs makes an ear piercing sound when i turn it on?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

As long as you've done the proper bulletproofing: power board, connectors, ect. your game should have no problem sitting on for several hours a day.

I agree. But 8 days straight? two weeks straight? A year straight? The vast majority of location games don't take that kind of abuse.

Quoted from brenna98:

I would expect the staff would power down the games at closing. Or to have some kind of timer to shut them down..

I would expect that too, but this was not the case. I'm hoping they will listen to me and start doing this.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Common issue. Do a search here and you will find solutions.

#8 2 years ago

I've left a few on for 7 days straight. No problems at all. They were meant to be onsite and were typically on for extended periods.

But, we are playing 20-30 year old machines. It should be expected that as parts heat-up we should see some problems...

#9 2 years ago

I've never left games on overnight. Probably the longest is 16 hours when they've been at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show. Bringing your games to a show and leaving them on that long with hundreds of people playing them seems to be a pretty good test of how they can hold up.

#10 2 years ago

I have personally left my games on for days with no issue. Burn in type testing figuring if something is to break it will.
    I leave computers on 24/7 as well as my refrigerator. I don't see any problem leaving a properly working game on for as long as you want. Although lamp heat would be one of the biggest concerns. I don't know if displays have an On lifespan? I have a plasma lamp that probably has not been turned off in years. I noticed a game room at a camp ground that was locked up but every machine left on. Although mostly all LED style redemption games.

I don't see the point of wasting power when it only takes a couple seconds to turn games off but I am never concerned about leaving them on. Now soldering station on other hand is a no no.

#11 2 years ago

If it was all leds including the dmd I wouldn't worry, but the amount of heat that incandescents and dmd HV sections (even rebuilt and upgraded) generates concerns and amazes me

#12 2 years ago

I know several locations that leave there games on 24/7 for weeks or months. Personally for me it's only been a few hours, but anytime I worry about it I think about those locations.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I agree. But 8 days straight? two weeks straight? A year straight? The vast majority of location games don't take that kind of abuse.

A lot of the games in Europe are in 24 hour truck stops. They are put there, turned on and never turned off. Ever.

At EuroDisney all the surrounding hotels have newer Stern games running around the clock. Truely "plug and play" .. for ever!

I've had some WPC games from Europe that probably ran for 15-20 years constantly. The GI connectors are melted, or the driver boards are often roughly hacked so the GI connectors are hard wired to what's left of the GI tracks. And the displays have burn-in from running the same images for millions of cycles.

Aside from the GI, they stand up well to long periods. That's what they are designed to do.

rd

#14 2 years ago

Here is why you don't leave your games on. I bought a Whitewater and brought it home. My family was out of town so a friend came over an helped me clean it up and we played the game. My buddy brought a reefer with him so I indulged and we also drank a lot of beer. My buddy left and I wound up on the couch watching TV with all the lights turned off still with one hell of a buzz. I got up to pee and Bigfoot screamed as I was walking through the dark house and I just about shit my pants. I turned to go grab a shotgun but then I realized what it actually was and I couldn't stop laughing at myself. Then I changed my clothes. Don't leave your WH20 on at night.

#15 2 years ago

8-12 hrs max.

#16 2 years ago

I ve got a CV which was turned on for seven months because the batteries were bad and owner did not like to adjust the settings all over again. It did not occur to him that he could just change the batteries. It did cause the neon ramp transformer to go out.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I've never left games on overnight. Probably the longest is 16 hours when they've been at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show. Bringing your games to a show and leaving them on that long with hundreds of people playing them seems to be a pretty good test of how they can hold up.

at MAGfest, my STTNG and WOZ were played for like 70 hours straight. both got about 900 plays. there were a couple mechanical issues that had to be dealt with due to the sheer number of plays, and they came back quite a bit dirtier than they left, but neither showed any sign of having problems due to being left on Thursday through Sunday.

#18 2 years ago

A couple of years. In the cafeteria at work.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

A lot of the games in Europe are in 24 hour truck stops. They are put there, turned on and never turned off. Ever. At EuroDisney all the surrounding hotels have newer Stern games running around the clock. Truely "plug and play" .. for ever!
    I've had some WPC games from Europe that probably ran for 15-20 years constantly. The GI connectors are melted, or the driver boards are often roughly hacked so the GI connectors are hard wired to what's left of the GI tracks. And the displays have burn-in from running the same images for millions of cycles.

Aha! That explains why every last power and GI connector and on re-imports is always yellow and fried.

#20 2 years ago

These things were built for the wild and are able to handle being left on 24/7.

#21 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb big hurt that has been on location and turned on for over 2 years. They are designed for this. They are games meant to be on location. I use LEDS to cut down on heat.

#22 2 years ago

Had a LoTr in a spot couple years 24/7. Lots of molex plugs were brittle and the cpu board was discolored from the fluorescent tube.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Could be you need to recap the speakers

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm hoping they will listen to me and start doing this.

Well - you are "Crazy Levi" after all.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-makes-loud-screech-on-powerup Happens a lot with WPCs but check this out, it may help dude

#26 2 years ago

Pretty rare nowadays for a game to be left on 24/7 but I expect back in the day it was pretty commonplace.

#27 2 years ago

When those incadencents melt the plastics back in the day

#28 2 years ago

I have games running for 24/7 without it causing many issues. I do have some locations that i install outlet timers because employees don't turn on/off equipment, or install wireless remote outlets and velcro the remote control to the wall next to a light switch to make it easier for them.

#29 2 years ago

Wouldn't heat cycling the boards and components do more damage over time than them being left on?

Obviously the GI is an issue due to the amperage through the connections is too much, and dmd burn are issues though

#30 2 years ago

The games I used to have at locations like a truck stop were on 24/7 for many years.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Wouldn't heat cycling the boards and components do more damage over time than them being left on?

Not in reality.

Electrolytic capacitors have hour ratings - they are physically wearing out while in use.

#32 2 years ago

Yeah, I know of a 24/7 truck stop not too far away that runs three pins 24/7, as well as a dozen or so arcade games. I suppose it wears out the capacitors quicker, as those are rated for life when being used and not off, but realistically it shouldn't be a big deal.

That truck stop seems to always have the games in great condition too.

(...and Vid says the same thing about capacitors as I type, hooray!)

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not in reality.
    Electrolytic capacitors have hour ratings - they are physically wearing out while in use.

Good point, I was thinking more about chip connections and solder joints

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Good point, I was thinking more about chip connections and solder joints

I guess everything electrical has a lifespan, so it would all fatigue at some rate when the game is on, but theoretically the capacitors usually have the shortest life span.

For games, it is really just risk / reward. In the case of the 24/7 truck shop I know of, when I would stop there driving back from where I used to work after a long night at 2 in the morning or whatever, there would often be someone there playing them. So, for them the amount of money they made at those times was worth it.

In the case of them being in a break room that is at a business that I assume is not 24/7, then turning the machines off would be a better choice.

Having said all that, it probably isn't hurting the game too much either way.

#35 2 years ago

I have a few games on route, at one location they are left on 24/7. It's been maybe 4-6 months and the dmd's burned out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 214.99
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside