(Topic ID: 203030)

What's the longest it's taken someone to reply to you?

By egyptrus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

This morning I checked my email, as I do every morning, and I see a reply to an inquiry I made about a game on craigslist from 3 MONTHS ago.

It happened to be for an arcade game that I thought looked interesting at the time but the original ad is now gone and I can't remember what game this guy had for sale. In my original inquiry I didn't mention the name of the game so I had to ask the seller to remind me of the name of the game he was selling.

At any rate, this got me to thinking, what's the longest time you've gone from initial inquiry to receiving a response from the seller? For each of the stories, can you tell us whether or not you ended up with the game?

Dave

#2 6 years ago

I’ll let you know in 6 months....

#3 6 years ago

I suck at seeing my FB messages for my restoration page. I've responded back to people like 6-9 months later because I didn't see the messages, as they dont' notify me with my regular page.

#4 6 years ago

i had someone text me about a pin two+ years after it was sold. they refused to tell me who they were, i didnt recognize the number, nor did i even put my phone number on the original for sale post. was very odd.....

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I suck at seeing my FB messages for my restoration page. I've responded back to people like 6-9 months later because I didn't see the messages, as they dont' notify me with my regular page.

I could see that, especially if you're not a regular user of FB.

Quoted from PinsideTroll:

i had someone text me about a pin two+ years after it was sold.

So, two years after you sold a game, someone texted you about it being for sale? You're right, that's very odd.

I just found it odd that I inquired about a game for sale and it took 3 months for them to get back to me. While I know something might have happened (hospital stay, coma, etc.), you typically want to get back to prospective buyers as soon as possible if you really want to sell a game.

Keep the stories coming.

Dave

#6 6 years ago

My warehouse deal last year was either 4 or 5 years after my first (or original & only other) contact with the seller. I called him a "ghost from the past" when talking about the deal. The crazy thing is tens of thousands of dollars later only half of the deal has happened so far and I am still having the same issue with the seller as always "no time to meet up with me". So now we are looking at Spring of 2018 to finalize the rest of the deal and that will be about 18 months after the first contact I had with him last Fall (with no other contact in almost 5 years prior to him reaching out to me last Fall).

I am amazed someone had my contact info after over 4 years let alone had not sold the stuff to someone else.

I know Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) has actively chased sellers for as long as 20+ years before they finally have agreed to sell to him. But he is actually contacting them most of the time as far as I understand things.

As far as normal Craig's List type transactions I think my record is about 6 or 8 weeks from original contact with a seller.

#7 6 years ago

As a buyer my longest was around 8 months since the ad was posted.

My baby pac was listed on an old facebook ad back in febuary. I was scouring all postings of them for sale in general. This one seemed pretty good but the ad was one of the oldest I'd seen and I doubted it was still available... loo 9
    I messaged the seller in july or august and mid-september I was shocked to actually get a response!!
    Not only that but it was still for sale and he was asking even less for it. It seems nobody wanted a Baby Pac way out in the boonies... Except for, of course, my crazy ass.

Now it happily works in my humble gameroom, fascinating all who see and play it!

All in all though, that's 8 months from posting to sale and all except for a few days of that was just dead air. He was sure shocked someone even found that ad and even wanted it still.

#8 6 years ago

I am amazed at how long deals can take. I can understand the "chasing a mega-deal" type thing that too-many-pins was talking about. Sometimes, you have to work and work to convince someone to sell to you. In my case, I'm looking more at stories of contacting a seller about something they have for sale and then how long the wait was before they got back to you. Given that it took 3 months for them to get back to me, I just assumed it was sold. It seems that this is not the case.

Either way, if you end up with the game, then the wait is definitely worth it.

Dave

#9 6 years ago

One bulk deal too me 12 years to actually get my foot in the door, even though the guy would talk about me buying his games every year when I seen him at the local show. But man......it was worth the wait.......LOL.

John

#10 6 years ago

As a buyer:

Made regular yearly contact with the operator since 1998. Actually completed the transaction in 2003 through his son as a deceased estate sale.

The old man just didn't want to sell up even though the machines (29 titles in total with maybe 4-5 double ups from memory) were in storage and the son had no interest in them.

As a seller:

Had contact from a buyer in June 2017 about a TZ I sold to him in April 2014 and wanted to make a complaint as the machine had recently developed a reset problem in the last month. He informed me I would need to repair this at my cost.

I told him sure I can fix it but I had a full schedule and wouldn't be able to look at it until August 2020 at the earliest.

Haven't received a response yet.

#11 6 years ago

don't know still waiting.

#12 6 years ago

Also been waiting for a local guy to get back to me for the last 11 years. Something makes me think he's forgotten about me.

John

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

As a buyer:
    Made regular yearly contact with the operator since 1998. Actually completed the transaction in 2003 through his son as a deceased estate sale.
    The old man just didn't want to sell up even though the machines (29 titles in total with maybe 4-5 double ups from memory) were in storage and the son had no interest in them.
    As a seller:
    Had contact from a buyer in June 2017 about a TZ I sold to him in April 2014 and wanted to make a complaint as the machine had recently developed a reset problem in the last month. He informed me I would need to repair this at my cost.
    I told him sure I can fix it but I had a full schedule and wouldn't be able to look at it until August 2020 at the earliest.
    Haven't received a response yet.

What a dipshit... does he return his cell phone after using it for 3 years and then it breaks??? People like that annoy me endlessly. TZ is over 27 years old can I bring my car back and complain since it's a '96 with over 250k and the head JUST cracked???
    Total idiots. When you buy an object used and it breaks it's your own cost. If it was 3 months then sure, call and complain. 3 years? Delusional.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-longest-its-taken-someone-to-reply-to-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.