(Topic ID: 77541)

What's the longest drive you made to buy a pinball?

By Choggard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ud front.JPG
    UD crate.JPG
    100_6141.JPG
    SooGames2_100_6146.jpg
    32443_126114164083113_8114287_n.jpg
    DSCN0225.JPG
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

getting ready to do a 14 hr round trip..it will be my longest so far

#52 10 years ago

Nothing super special: A Bally Playboy and Voltan. I still have the Playboy. They were bought based on an ad in a magazine so I had my sister, who lives in San Diego, make sure they were complete by counting the number of circuit boards and displays, verify the flippers move easily by hand because I knew neither would power up and play. Make sure the backglasses looked good etc. Pay them and bring them home. She had them in her garage for me. On the way home I drove through Vegas but just stopped to eat and stayed a couple hours and made to Salina, Utah.

#53 10 years ago

my longest was about 6hrs round trip

but I had a guy come from north of QUEBEC to me near DC for a Blackwater100. It wasn't mint or anything, decent and I disclosed all little issues,,,,,,, still he wanted to come!!! Got here right about when he said he would, we loaded it and he drove RIGHT BACK! phew man!!! Made me rethink the "value" of blackwater! HA

He was a great guy, high spirits and all, ehhh!

I FIGURED THIS THREAD WOULD EVOLVE TO A "HOW FAR DID YOU GO TO GET A PIN AND TURN AWAY EMPTY HANDED..... now that would probably be a more humorous to hate filled thread!! HA

#54 10 years ago

I bought my first pin (HS) from a dealer in Baltimore. From north NJ, it was about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way and about 180-200 miles. So, most of you guys have me beat by a mile! (Pun intended!)

#55 10 years ago

I'm about to do 32 hrs from Chicago to Denver and back. I love driving even if you don't stop, you see amazing things!

#56 10 years ago

Uhauled 5 games out of Daytona beach to Chicago. Luckily I made a vacation out of it. So it took a week but totally worth it. Aprx. 1100miles each way.

#57 10 years ago

Anyone else a bit paranoid with your new pin in the car and leaving it unattended to stop for food or bathroom breaks?

#58 10 years ago

Longest was a 4 hour round trip to pick up 4 pins.

Worst: 4 hour round trip to pick up 2 pins but came back empty handed.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

I drove 350 miles to sell one pin in Pennsylvania, then another 350 miles to buy a Pinbot in New Jersey...then turned around and brought it back to Detroit! I'd do it again for the right deal, no problem. Living on the road for a few years has changed my idea of what a "long drive" is.

I will keep a bag of sunflower seeds in my car for the next road trip!

The only regret you'll have is what your seat looks like when you get out? LOL! Don't understand it. I was eating them one at a time and putting them in a cup by hand and still... sunflower seeds EVERYWHERE when I got out of the car. LOL. Wife was pretty sore at me.

#60 10 years ago

Central Virginia to forget the town but 1 mile to one of the great lakes . Met Bill Kurtz played some cool low production games and returned with a Stern Viper .12+ hours each way comes to mind ( been long time ago ) .Last time I will willingly sleep in a truck seat . Have a crew cab but still not much room . My wife went with me . She enjoyed the games but suggested Motel next time . Ride home with stiff neck not much fun . Shane

#61 10 years ago

Portland to San Fransico and Sacramento a few times
    11 hours one way.

Planning to do it again.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

13 hours round trip and not worth it.

There's the rub. I have yet to buy a pin that entirely lived up to its advertised description. I made the mistake of buying a pin out of a car at Allentown last year. It ended up costing me hundreds of dollars to fix up despite supposedly being in great shape. And pictures help only so much. Even when you get to play the pin first (mandatory in my experience) and become aware of every flaw (not likely), the fact that you have driven many hours to see it makes it hard to walk away. That's not to say that I won't ever again drive hundreds of miles to pick up a pin, but I have to factor in the possibility that I will be disappointed.

#64 10 years ago

3.5 each way, but overnight at a family member, so doesn't really count. Otherwise, not too far, I guess about 2.5 each way to 9th mile Detroit, where my GPS did not want to work. That was a nervous 20 min until it could find a signal again...

#65 10 years ago

not far. 200 miles round trip (total road time of under 4 hours).

#66 10 years ago

17 hours round trip to pick up restored AFM. Only stopped for gas.

#67 10 years ago

5 1/2 hors each way from Fredericksburg VA to Manhattan for CV. Ended up being a great experience. Would do again for the right pin. Not much further though I think...

#68 10 years ago

14 hr round trip for my Diamond-plated BOP Would do it again for that game.

#69 10 years ago

6 hours each way to pick up 4 pins. It was a long & tough haul (on the bum) but well worth it & enjoyed my dads company/conversation the whole time.

#70 10 years ago

7 hours round trip for two pins, would go twice that far for the right deal!

#71 10 years ago

20 hours roundtrip but it was well worth it. 10 hour drive then it took us 5 hours to pack and load all 21 pins. Five hours sleep and it was 10 more hours then 2 more to unload them when we got home.

DSCN0225.JPGDSCN0225.JPG
    #72 10 years ago

13 hours round trip...long day

#73 10 years ago

Almost 12 hours each way from Sacramento, CA to Chandler, AZ

#74 10 years ago

It's 10 hours round trip from my place to Eabundy's

#75 10 years ago

8 hours round trip.

#76 10 years ago

Tucson to L.A. and back in one day to pick up a Shadow. Worth the trip

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

So glad I live further away from Eabundy....bank account would be flattened

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

I made a 11 hour roundtrip to eabundy's in CT in a damn snowstorm 4 weeks ago. I couldn't drive more than 40mph the entire time. They don't know how to plow in CT. I had food, water and a down sleeping bag in my car incase I got stuck and had to spend the night. It was well worth the trip for a minty SM.

#79 10 years ago

thinking about a 4 hour trip. 8 hours round trip. Hard to think about when the deal is just average at best. We shall see

#80 10 years ago

I drove 600 miles round trip from Indianapolis to East Moline, IL for a perfect Evel Knievel backglass ($100). When I showed up, I also bought the bottom box (no head) for another $100 and got it home in the back seat of a Ford Focus. If it had been another inch longer, it wouldn't have fit. The guy also had a Captain Fantastic and a Rolling Stones I went back and bought a month later.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from erozens:

I drove 600 miles round trip from Indianapolis to East Moline, IL

Off topic, but it was fun to see East Moline mentioned. I was born and lived there until I was six. I can't recall ever having seen the town mentioned anywhere else in all of my years of Internet surfing.

#82 10 years ago

I kind of feel crazy for saying this, but considering that almost all of my pin purchases have been accompanied by doing something else I wanted to do in the same area, the max is probably an hour.

I mean, I drove four or so hours one way to Gene's to get my NIB SWE1 kit, but I would have done that even without the game just to see the place. That's generally how it works - I figure out I'm going somewhere, and then if I see a deal along the way, I try to work it out.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from Choggard:

Thinking about jumping in my truck and driving 12-14hrs round trip to go get a pinball..

I did a 12 hr same day from wa state to lower oregon for a xmen le-afm trade. Unfortunately had to sell the afm. Miss that machine.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I kind of feel crazy for saying this, but considering that almost all of my pin purchases have been accompanied by doing something else I wanted to do in the same area, the max is probably an hour.
    I mean, I drove four or so hours one way to Gene's to get my NIB SWE1 kit, but I would have done that even without the game just to see the place. That's generally how it works - I figure out I'm going somewhere, and then if I see a deal along the way, I try to work it out.

Ha agreed! Every time me and my girl take a road trip she always asks "So what pin are you picking up this time?"

I tell her none but If I see one I won't hesitate to load it up

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Dayton to Chicago for TFTC. Started the the drive at somewhere around 9:30am - got home at 5:30am. Why did it take me nearly 20 hours to make the trip? Well, long story short, I was picking up a DM for the seller of TFTC, and that DM was way, way, way.........way out in BFE of Indianapolis. Like, it was so far out there that the seller of DM had a literal creek of water less than 100 ft from the foundation of his house - all roads were red dirt, and 7+1 in the chamber wouldn't have been heard by a single soul out that far.
    Seller of DM was a pretty awesome guy though - had a Marilyn Taxi sitting right next to it. Played both a bit, loaded up DM, drove to Chicago, dropped off DM, hung out with John at his place for a while. His family and he were extremely nice, and we had a great time talking pin, shop, and life. Loaded TFTC up at 2300, and off I went back to Dayton, OH.
    So yeah, some of the trip was simply BSing around, talking shop, having a good time. Definitely would have been nice to had a passenger in the van that day though =/....

You left out all the fun we had moving TFTC up my basement stairs!

#86 10 years ago

I'm not sure whether Detroit is closer to Atlanta or Chicago. I've been to Ohio as well (from Atlanta). All of them are between 12 and 14 hours each way I think (600-800 miles each way).

The craziest one was the following phone call:

Friend: Didn't you want a Ball Bowler?
    Me: Yeah!
    Friend: Come pick it up this weekend.
    Me: What?
    Friend: It's at a friends house and he's moving - I need it out.
    Me: How much is it?
    Friend: I don't know, we'll work it out later. Are you coming?
    Me: OK - I'll drive to Detroit this weekend. Do you think it'll fit in my truck?
    Friend: We'll make it fit.
    Me: OK - I don't think it'll fit, but I'll try.

32443_126114164083113_8114287_n.jpg32443_126114164083113_8114287_n.jpg

#87 10 years ago

Close to 900 miles, round-trip, with a 12' trailer to get 7 games, but mainly for TX-Sector, Catacomb and a NIB Williams Upper Deck backglass from '74!

Stayed overnight in a cheap motel and ate a bag of pepperonis on the long drive back from the Soo. Stomach wasn't impressed.

SooGames2_100_6146.jpgSooGames2_100_6146.jpg

100_6141.JPG100_6141.JPG

UD crate.JPGUD crate.JPG ud front.JPGud front.JPG
    #88 10 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Close to 900 miles, round-trip, with a 12' trailer to get 7 games, but mainly for TX-Sector, Catacomb and a NIB Williams Upper Deck backglass from '74!
    Stayed overnight in a cheap motel and ate a bag of pepperonis on the long drive back from the Soo. Stomach wasn't impressed.

Cool that the BG was in an Empire Distributing box.

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Ha agreed! Every time me and my girl take a road trip she always asks "So what pin are you picking up this time?"
    I tell her none but If I see one I won't hesitate to load it up

Yeah that's funny! Just over the summer my wife and I drove out to Virginia beach for vacation and as we were coming home I picked up a D&D.

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

SooGames2_100_6146.jpg 333 KB

100_6141.JPG 203 KB

UD crate.JPG 232 KB

ud front.JPG 311 KB

Brampton to the Soo...man that's a long one ..headed to Sudbury on sat to pu a pin...

#91 10 years ago

7 hours road trip for a Twilight Zone, faded cabinet, filthy but perfect playfield and perfectly working for half the price they are selling now in europe (that was two years ago). I saw the ad, the seller was asking to make him an offer, i sent one and some hours later, my wife told me that the seller did answer and that i just bought a tz. I couldn't believe it !

#92 10 years ago

I drove from New Orleans to somewhere in West Virginia because some lazy STI driver couldn't find the place on Google maps after four months of runaround.

THANKS NAVL!!!

#93 10 years ago

At least 500 miles one way on several occasions. Last one was SE Michigan to Toronto, Ontario for Medusa. Had to get a passport for that one. Before that was Peoria IL for Alladins Castle. I used to work for an air charter company and had one of our planes grab a CFTBL in Dallas for me. Drove right out onto the tarmac and went straight from the plane to the back of my truck. THAT was cool.

Don

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-longest-drive-you-made-to-buy-a-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.