Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by thundergod76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

whocares (resized).jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I'm looking for a good deal, meaning a pin that's unloved but cheaper for it.

So for example I was selling my XMLE and had to drop the price to next to nothing in order to get it gone.

Almost to the point that it was a steal-deal

I have only played Kiss premium 1-2 times so no impression except it was ok. Also the right ramp seemed impossible to make.

I have not formed an opinion on the gameplay or rules.

I wanted to ask what is a good price, are the rules going to be fixed? Is it worth considering or better to spend similar on a better game like SM?

I already owned SM so I'm not sure I'd want another but I did love Venom shot.

I'm also looking at Avatar it GOT pro are those any better than Kiss?

I don't really love Kiss music but the pin looks beautiful and if the code gets polished could it become a good pin?

#2 2 years ago

Let's put it this way... you will love the KISS pin a whole lot more if you're a KISS fan. People are pissed there is still no code for the Cities mode, but in general it's still pretty finished. I'm not sure how it compares to Xmen.

I have found it fun but not enough that I'd ever consider buying one. And I'm a KISS fan. Are you set on buying a newer pin? If you're looking at KISS you can't go wrong with a mid 90s B/W pin, but price-wise you'd have to settle for one that's been well-loved.

#3 2 years ago

I think it sucks compared to the regular KISS. Perfect example of a Stern game where the Pro was perfect, and they just stuck a bunch of crap on it to justify asking $1000-2000 more for an LE/Premium. Save the money, you don't need the drop targets, or the underwhelming magnet gimmick, or whatever else is on there. It's also harder to start Lick It Up mb. There is still at least one distributor blowing out KISS LEs for $7000 (or at least $500 under face), so clearly, this game is not - at this time - a good investment over a pro. The KISS Army failed to show up to basic training for this one and aren't buying up the stock.

The game itself is pretty good, and the code feels pretty complete. It's a good pin now. If you are interested in KISS a pro at $4500 used or $5000 (?) new seems like the way to go.

#4 2 years ago

I avoid 'players condition' and older pins (as they may need more frequent repairs) I'm usually looking at low play HUO pins.

I'll probably just wait and see what else comes around for a good price.

What was referring to was an unloved pin that is maybe good.

I once saw a TFLE near mint for $4k once saw a Mustang pro for $3900. So even though those pins are not on par with SM etc, those would probably be good value as SM selling for $5200.

If I didn't own XMLE then saw one with mods for $5K that would be a good deal.

Other pins I don't like like AVLE I wouldn't buy for any price.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it sucks compared to the regular KISS. Perfect example of a Stern game where the Pro was perfect, and they just stuck a bunch of crap on it to justify asking $1000-2000 more for an LE/Premium.

I completely disagree with this. The three color GI makes the game so much cooler with the game completely changing color based upon what mode you're in. Also the magnet floating ball trick is what makes new players ooh and ahh when they play it. Of course it loses it's wow factor after awhile like anything else.

There is a definite risk on picking up a kiss right now as Stern keeps promising a code drop but with no timeframe and constant "stay tuned" posts. It's a fun game as is but could use a little polish. Check the kiss fanclub for tips on changing the settings to make the game more fun. I play the crap out of mine.

#6 2 years ago

What would be a great price? Assuming the prices have dropped now that AS and BM66 are out.

I keep thinking of my XMLE. It was a decent game, it now goes for ~ $5K if you can even get that. So IOW after taking almost a $2K haircut XMLE is certainly a better game now at $4900 than it was at launch price $6600.

If Kiss premium started out as $6600 price, what's a deal price that won't be too painful to sell in the future?

#7 2 years ago

If you're value conscious I think Avatar is a better choice. Both are good but Avatar is a few thousand cheaper.

#8 2 years ago

Mustang Pro is a fun game...

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Mustang Pro is a fun game...

Don't see it for sale a lot and the one deal was a year ago. Likely if it's fun people are not selling them cheap.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you're value conscious I think Avatar is a better choice. Both are good but Avatar is a few thousand cheaper.

guess so, seems like people want $4200 for HUO Avatar when I think of it as $3800.

#11 2 years ago

The problem is you have such a nice variety of games now and only so much time, so how much time can you give to that lower pin? They are priced that way for a reason. There are lower Stern games that I personally enjoy and put time in on though - I own RCT and really like it, I had a TFLE and enjoyed it also. I bought them at fair prices though.

I would go in with a gameplan to buy whatever comes up locally as a deal and play for a while and swap later on. B and C titles sell if the price is fair. So $6200 GOT LE or $4300 GOT pro $4200 Kiss Pro, $3800 Avatar, $4000 TFLE, $3800 Mustang etc.. It is hard to put these above SM though. You already sold SM for a reason though right?

#12 2 years ago

I love my KISS Premium. But I'm also a diehard. I do think it's worth the extra cash for the rgb inserts, drop targets, love gun mb gimmick and physical Gene ball lock (if set up properly). Once the code improves hopefully you'll see more demand for it. Satisfaction for this title is at an all time low. IMO now is the time to pull the trigger if you're considering one.

#13 2 years ago

Sold SM because own STLE, also anticipated the VE would be announced but seemed like the VE was so-so I prefer different Spidy comic art, and the price was high.

I sold my XMLE regretted it but in reality may be just the normal regret of selling anything. I didn't play XMLE all that much towards the end.

I'm probably better served by playing my current pins more. I can go a week plus without turning certain game in.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Don't see it for sale a lot and the one deal was a year ago. Likely if it's fun people are not selling them cheap.

It's a bargain priced game... they come up and sit. The premiums have been selling in the 5's... I've seen pros below 4. The title just isn't that desirable...but the layout is fun and the game is cool.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I love my KISS Premium. But I'm also a diehard. I do think it's worth the extra cash for the rgb inserts, drop targets, love gun mb gimmick and physical Gene ball lock (if set up properly). Once the code improves hopefully you'll see more demand for it. Satisfaction for this title is at an all time low. IMO now is the time to pull the trigger if you're considering one.

This is a great example of why you gotta play the games for yourself. One persons treasure is another persons trash...and that's true no matter how popular a title is.

I guess there's two ways to look at it: They are still working on code... or they've decided to kick it to the back seat. Let's be honest: with Stern, anything is possible. If I were looking at this game, I'd have to love how it shoots AND have a firm understanding of what kind of code holes exist...that would help you make a good educated guess as to whether or not another code drop would get the game to completion. And that's really hard to do with these Stern games. They are so complex to start (rules/code-wise) that you need to have one that you can play a lot.

Lonnie has had some nice code efforts over the years, but no where near the level of the big guns of the industry. That makes me wonder how satisfied folks will ultimately be...

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

This is a great example of why you gotta play the games for yourself. One persons treasure is another persons trash...and that's true no matter how popular a title is.
I guess there's two ways to look at it: They are still working on code... or they've decided to kick it to the back seat. Let's be honest: with Stern, anything is possible. If I were looking at this game, I'd have to love how it shoots AND have a firm understanding of what kind of code holes exist...that would help you make a good educated guess as to whether or not another code drop would get the game to completion. And that's really hard to do with these Stern games. They are so complex to start (rules/code-wise) that you need to have one that you can play a lot.
Lonnie has had some nice code efforts over the years, but no where near the level of the big guns of the industry. That makes me wonder how satisfied folks will ultimately be...

People seem to have forgotten that Lyman, not Lonnie, did the last code update for KISS. It's been a while, so easy to forget that I suppose

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

People seem to have forgotten that Lyman, not Lonnie, did the last code update for KISS. It's been a while, so easy to forget that I suppose

No proof he's going to come back and finish it... not the first time he's helped clean up a mess (ST). One would have to assume that he's wading through high water with BM66.

#18 2 years ago

Dwight helped out ST can still use some bug fixes

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

No proof he's going to come back and finish it... not the first time he's helped clean up a mess (ST). One would have to assume that he's wading through high water with BM66.

Yeah fair enough, and not really what I was implying. My point was, the game code is fairly well rounded and thought out as it sits now with the exception of the "Cities" that is still hanging there like a rotten apple. Heck there are 5 multi-balls on this game! I own and play this game daily, and I don't find it to be the shit show that a lot of people like to say it is. It shoots really smooth with the right amount of tough shots, (Starchild area, right ramp, left orbit), and easier shots, (center ramp, Gene head). It's a fun game! A bit more code, no matter who does it, will make it that much better IMO.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Yeah fair enough, and not really what I was implying. My point was, the game code is fairly well rounded and thought out as it sits now with the exception of the "Cities" that is still hanging there like a rotten apple. Heck there are 5 multi-balls on this game! I own and play this game daily, and I don't find it to be the shit show that a lot of people like to say it is. It shoots really smooth with the right amount of tough shots, (Starchild area, right ramp, left orbit), and easier shots, (center ramp, Gene head). It's a fun game! A bit more code, no matter who does it, will make it that much better IMO.

That's exactly why I said:

"This is a great example of why you gotta play the games for yourself. One persons treasure is another persons trash...and that's true no matter how popular a title is."

I think it's fantastic that you're digging' the game that much. Ultimately, that's all that matters...

#21 2 years ago

I would get a GOT Pro or a SM personally. KISS Premium isn't bad and is probably a better game than people give it credit for but due to the software it will never be a great game. I like the artwork and the layout and how it shoots but the theme and rules just aren't that good to me. I think the best value right now in newer games is GOT Prem/LE. While I prefer the Pro gameplay the LE values are approaching the $6K price point which is damn tempting! The rules and theme are great on that game and I love the full playfield RGB inserts.

#22 2 years ago

What's a nice Avatar pro go for?

I'm not convinced I'll like the rules of Avatar that well either.

Never played GOT pro, was NOT a fan of the upper PF on the premium that was a deal breaker.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's a nice Avatar pro go for?
I'm not convinced I'll like the rules of Avatar that well either.
Never played GOT pro, was NOT a fan of the upper PF though.

I think Avatar's rules are pretty comparable to both IM and Tron but the game as a whole is not as good as either of those. the rules aren't all that deep but challenging and geared towards shorter games. I'm not a big fan of the theme but the layout has some nice tight shots and I like how the captive ball is integrated into the rules. The playfield does feel a bit barren only having a single ramp though. It's a decent game but between that and GOT Pro I'd definitely opt for GOT especially since they are priced fairly similar.

#24 2 years ago

RAI - definitely play Avatar before going after it... it's not for everybody.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I don't think anybody on this board knows what Stern programmers are working on day to day.

Lyman could be working on a REO Speedwagon pin today for all we know....

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I don't think anybody on this board knows what Stern programmers are working on day to day.
Lyman could be working on a REO Speedwagon pin today for all we know....

That's true.

Let's hope not

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think Avatar's rules are pretty comparable to both IM and Tron but the game as a whole is not as good as either of those. the rules aren't all that deep but challenging and geared towards shorter games. I'm not a big fan of the theme but the layout has some nice tight shots and I like how the captive ball is integrated into the rules. The playfield does feel a bit barren only having a single ramp though. It's a decent game but between that and GOT Pro I'd definitely opt for GOT especially since they are priced fairly similar.

Good rundown of Avatar. It's definitely from the IM/Tron era of simple rules with some stacking nuance. The captive ball is awesome, and destroying the AMP suit with the narrow target shot is very satisfying. Like IM it has an excellent cinematic sound package. It gets a slightly lower score from IM and Tron due to it's one way orbit and single ramp....but I found it very fun and satisfying to play while I had it.

#28 2 years ago

Buy the KISS premium, the KISS LE is a waste of money. And I AM a KISS LE owner!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Buy the KISS premium, the KISS LE is a waste of money. And I AM a KISS LE owner!

I also own KISS LE. The metallic art is pretty sweet, but I don't think its worth the money.

I honestly think KISS has the best artwork of any of the modern Stern machines. GB is pretty nice as well.

#30 2 years ago

I honestly think KISS has the best artwork of any of the modern Stern machines. GB is pretty nice as well.

I agree with this. Kevin O'Connor did a great job with the art on this game, and whether you like the game/band or not, it's hard to argue with that.

#31 2 years ago

I also own KISS LE. The metallic art is pretty sweet, but I don't think its worth the money.

It's OK...there's some bad forced perspective that makes the characters look like they have stubby arms. Overall it's pretty flat. I think it gets the "great art" pass due to it being hand drawn and not Photoshopped....but at the end of the day, it's pretty mediocre hand drawn art. Dirty Donny & Zombie Yeti are bringing a real energy and fun to hand drawn pinball art that's leagues beyond Kiss. Metallica, Ghostbusters, and Aerosmith are far superior art packages, IMO.

#32 2 years ago

I also think KISS is the best art package. I know I'm in the minority but I think the GB playfield is a mess.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have not formed an opinion on the gameplay or rules.

There is no perfect machine for everyone but I liked KISS gameplay best out of the current batch of Sterns. And I play them all ALOT before deciding on KISS. Seriously high fun factor for me and my friends.

Quoted from rai:

are the rules going to be fixed?

There are some bugs but nothing serious. I would love to see another code drop with cities doing something cool but the game feels great as is. There's a bunch of stuff to do in the game and it will take some time to get through it all. I've had my machine for months and I'm a long, long ways from mastering all of the song modes let alone the multiballs.

Quoted from rai:

I don't really love Kiss music but the pin looks beautiful and if the code gets polished could it become a good pin?

Don't like KISS? Replace the tunes! I'm a big hard rock fan but I'm not a big KISS fan. In fact I once hated them as much as disco! I left the KISS hits I do like in but replaced the other songs with Sammy Hagar, Boston, Ratt, Ted Nugent, etc. It's cool because the game uses the new band names in the DMD so they feel very integrated.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I completely disagree with this. The three color GI makes the game so much cooler with the game completely changing color based upon what mode you're in.

fatdirk, you make a good point about the RGB GI lighting but with a little clarification. The pro has RGBs in the major shots inserts so you can easily see which mode you're in. I believe the big difference is that the grid uses RGB color inserts to tell when you're stacking completed grid items. In the pro, you have no clue how many times you've spelled KISS ARMY. Plus the light show is way cooler on the Prem/LE if I remember correctly.

#35 2 years ago

KISS 1978 has a superior art package to any of them.

Which is probably why KISS 1978 is still sought after by the KISS Army and the Stern model is not.

#36 2 years ago

I am VERY close to purchasing a premium. The distributor I am talking to has basically told me that production has ceased. I feel the premium cabinet looks best as I just can't get behind the red on the LE. What got me sold was the ability to upload the songs as they were recorded by the real band and having found a place in NYC where I played a pro for a few hours, great game as it stands IMHO.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

What got me sold was the ability to upload the songs as they were recorded by the real band and having found a place in NYC where I played a pro for a few hours, great game as it stands IMHO.

Do it!!

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

fatdirk, you make a good point about the RGB GI lighting but with a little clarification. The pro has RGBs in the major shots inserts so you can easily see which mode you're in. I believe the big difference is that the grid uses RGB color inserts to tell when you're stacking completed grid items. In the pro, you have no clue how many times you've spelled KISS ARMY. Plus the light show is way cooler on the Prem/LE if I remember correctly.

That's not what I'm referring to. The premium has three colors of LEDs in the general illumination and the entire game changes color based on different modes. When you're in demon multiball the whole game it lit in red. This lighting alone blows away the gameplay experience in the pro.

#39 2 years ago

The prices on the LE are way down so you can get a good deal on the LE. Now is the time to pick one up. I love the art/color scheme of the LE. One of my favorite pins. The code is not near as bad as what some make it out to be.

Bottom line is go play some pins and get what you like best.

#40 2 years ago

Do it!!
ยป YouTube video

Just did!!!

#41 2 years ago

Pulled the trigger on the premium, not 100% sure if I should stay with it or switch to the LE. The difference is very little. Opinions anyone???

#42 2 years ago

The LE is really nice but not worth the extra cash IMO. I'm also not crazy about the red trim. The Pre plays the same. Save your money and enjoy your new game!

#43 2 years ago

The LE is really nice but not worth the extra cash IMO. I'm also not crazy about the red trim. The Pre plays the same. Save your money and enjoy your new game!

This, 100%

#44 2 years ago

If you have to ask if Avatar is better than Kiss you might just want to take both those ideas off the table.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

Pulled the trigger on the premium, not 100% sure if I should stay with it or switch to the LE. The difference is very little. Opinions anyone???

You can get the powder coating done yourself for much less than the price difference between the LE and prem. Of course with the LE you also get Borg's signature, a plaque, some differences in cab and trans light art, and a certificate. I think for most the better value is with the premium.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

You can get the powder coating done yourself for much less than the price difference between the LE and prem. Of course with the LE you also get Borg's signature, a plaque, some differences in cab and trans light art, and a certificate. I think for most the better value is with the premium.

The price difference is only $300 between the two. I don't know, I a bit torn. The good news is I AM getting one of the two!!!

#47 2 years ago

For 300 I'd get the le

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Tempest:

The price difference is only $300 between the two. I don't know, I a bit torn. The good news is I AM getting one of the two!!!

Ok, mind is changed. If only $300, get the LE.

#49 2 years ago

Not sure where you are located but there's a nice one on craigslist near Minneapolis for only $6300 with topper.
minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#50 2 years ago

Watch the game with the newest rules and see if it's too difficult for your skill level:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 50.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 21.00
$ 35.00
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside