7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

so whats the difference in a HUO pin and a none HUO?

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from Red97:

so whats the difference in a HUO pin and a none HUO?

Home Use Only vs ROuted (put in arcades, bars, etc) Home use only machines are generally in much better condition as they have not been subjected to the rigors of public use.

#3 7 years ago

There have been a few machines released recently that do not have a coin door. Targeting home use trying to make them less expensive.

#4 7 years ago

HUO is home use only and non HUO is typically a machine that has been at bars, pool halls, food establishments, bowling alleys, etc. The HUO is typically taken care of like a baby and a non-HUO (the term "routed" is usually used) is often beaten up by kids and other external influences.

#5 7 years ago

What's the difference between a rental car and and your own car? A rental car alot of times is driven like shit and not taken care of. However, sometimes people don't take care of their own vehicles either.

So HUO could mean jack squat...it could be HUO and a piece of crap....but generally a HUO should be much nicer...

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

What's the difference between a rental car and and your own car? A rental car alot of times is driven like shit and not taken care of. However, sometimes people don't take care of their own vehicles either.
    So HUO could mean jack squat...it could be HUO and a peice of crap....but generally a HUO should be much nicer...

excellent analogy

#7 7 years ago

The basic difference comes down to the care of the machine over its lifetime. Op's who may really care for thier games, at times, do not have enough time/service people to clean/repair the pins as often as they should, so over time they get beat up. Home owners generally take better care of thier pins (more personal) due in part to cost, pride in thier investment and mostly the satisfaction they get from them.

#8 7 years ago

ok i wasent sure if there was any game differences or not. thanks for the answers

#9 7 years ago

Alright there are home games as well that is a totally different thing like absocountry2 said.

So which are you talking about?

A normally routed game only used at home?

Or a home version of a game? (ie Iron Man classic, or Batman or Fireball Home edition) There is a HUGE difference in these games...

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Red97:

ok i wasent sure if there was any game differences or not. thanks for the answers

As one poster mentioned above, there are a few games that are made just for the home. Costco sold some Stern pinballs such as Iron Man that did not have a coin door. If the machine does not have coin slots in the coin door it is often a scaled down version of the regular game. It will likely have some gameplay features missing that may make the game not nearly as fun. They are usually at least $500 to $1000 cheaper than the regular edition game.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Alright there are home games as well that is a totally different thing like absocountry2 said.
    So which are you talking about?
    A normally routed game only used at home?
    Or a home version of a game? (ie Iron Man classic, or Batman or Fireball Home edition) There is a HUGE difference in these games...

not looking at any spacific game, just seem some talk of HUO games and was just curious

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Red97:

just seem some talk of HUO games and was just curious

Most of the talk you see is Home Use Only (HUO). If a pin is in an arcade or smoky bar it will get a lot of use and little care. People sitting drinks on the glass ect.... Even if it gets treated like this in a home with no care there will not be much wear compared to a machine on route. Some of the route machines are worn to the wood. That is bad.

#13 7 years ago

another thing about HUO pins is they will generally have way fewer games played on them since it is just the owner and a handful of friends playing them. When a pin is routed it will have a LOT more plays on it. this usually affects playfield wear and such.

Also a HUO machine will not be turned on all the time, mine for example is only turned on when I am playing it or have guests over so thats maybe 2-3 hours a week, whereas a machine in a bar could be turned on 8+ hours a day 7 days a week. I would venture to guess that having the power on for longer periods of time would affect boards and other electrical aspects over time.

#14 7 years ago

A slightly different question about HUO.

I have a an almost new TSPP that came with a HUO game chip in it. Does anyone know how the game plays differently with that chip vs. the standard game chip in it? I'm hoping it does not effect it where it plays . . . let's say . . . much more simple? Do I want to put the original chip in it to make for better game play. I have the same thing with my TZ.

Thanks,
    Mike

#15 7 years ago

of course on these older machines, maybe the last owner was huo but you really don't know whether the machine was originally routed.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

another thing about HUO pins is they will generally have way fewer games played on them since it is just the owner and a handful of friends playing them. When a pin is routed it will have a LOT more plays on it. this usually affects playfield wear and such.
    Also a HUO machine will not be turned on all the time, mine for example is only turned on when I am playing it or have guests over so thats maybe 2-3 hours a week, whereas a machine in a bar could be turned on 8+ hours a day 7 days a week. I would venture to guess that having the power on for longer periods of time would affect boards and other electrical aspects over time.

Yup. I've had 2 NIB games for over 12 years now, and they both still look and play pretty sweet, like-new. I sometimes forget to change the rubbers because they still look fine even though they get stiff over time. Changed them all in all my games a few months back, good for another couple of years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 9.10
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 16.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4,199.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 16.00
    $ 6.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside