Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cp1610
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46a7a103eaa58d0893fce642dcc4a659313ccc30 (resized).jpg
    20200517_160143 (resized).jpg
    20200516_143429 (resized).jpg
    20200516_194644 (resized).jpg
    20200516_145852 (resized).jpg
    20200516_184650 (resized).jpg
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I value intact artwork, plastics, and ramps more than mechs and electronics. I can fix mechs and electronics either by repairing or replacing them without spending a whole lot. For me, artwork is much more difficult and expensive to repair or replace.
    I would much rather repair a board than do a playfield swap or re-do a cab.
    But, some people have minimal ability to troubleshoot or repair mechs and electronics, so they value any game that boots over a nicer looking game that doesn't. To each their own.

I don't think the original question is what you've distilled it to though. Everyone has some innate ability to judge things like appearance and whether a game boots, so no one is asking how to value those things against each other. It's about two machines that seem to be approximately the same, one being an import, another domestic, is there a difference in value?

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't think the original question is what you've distilled it to though. Everyone has some innate ability to judge things like appearance and whether a game boots, so no one is asking how to value those things against each other. It's about two machines that seem to be approximately the same, one being an import, another domestic, is there a difference in value?

Yes, all things being equal, there is a difference in value.

It's really just Economics 101. More buyers for item A, higher price.....Less buyers for item B, lower price.

Doesn't mean that you won't get as much for re-import, it just means it's more likely you won't. There is no formula though and as always, it just comes down to what the seller and buyer agree upon.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't really think so.

The value is in the condition, as I indicated in my earlier post.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the condition is equal. The only visible difference might be the coin door and the serial number sticker (and maybe the service outlet in certain game systems).

Like I said earlier, some people might have a preference for a coin door style, but that's trivial to change. And if the door you're removing is in good shape, you can recoup some of your money on it from folks who just need a decent coin door.

Anyway, if you put these two identical games up for sale for the same price, I imagine both would sell just fine. Certain individuals might have a preference for one or the other, just like some people like certain titles and not others, but I can't really see a reason why one should be discounted over the other. There's not a surplus of games where that's really enough to make much of a difference.

Let's say there was a US TZ and a foreign TZ each listed at $7500 in nice condition and fully shopped & working. Which would you pick? If the one you wanted sold, would you pass on the other? Outside of the usual bargaining/haggling that might happen, would you ask for a discount simply because it wasn't the one you wanted?

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can change that with the appropriate jumpers on WPC-89 MPUs and dip switches on WPC-S & WPC-95 MPUs
    https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Jumpers.2C_RAM_and_ROM_size

I wish I'd known this when I had my reimported Whitewater. I got used to navigating the menus in German to reset the language to English. It was a nice game, and I never was bothered by it's reimport status. I bought it and sold it for a "normal" price.

#55 2 years ago

I honestly don't remember the last time a buyer asked me if my game was a re-import. It's probably been a decade.

Nobody cares.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I honestly don't remember the last time a buyer asked me if my game was a re-import. It's probably been a decade.
    Nobody cares.

Exactly. Import games are made on the same production lines as domestic games and are identical in every way, save a jumper wire to one of the transformer plugs to change voltages and the coin door which is easily replaced if objectionable.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One thing for sure. That re-import got 2 ocean cruises. More than most people here get.
    LTG : )

I had one and came back home with norovirus.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can change that with the appropriate jumpers on WPC-89 MPUs and dip switches on WPC-S & WPC-95 MPUs
    https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Jumpers.2C_RAM_and_ROM_size

My wife likes it when I now talk French to her!

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

I had one and came back home with norovirus.

I'm sorry. I hope you are better now.

LTG : (

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry. I hope you are better now.
    LTG : (

Back in 2012. All good now but it wasn't a pleasant short term experience.

#61 2 years ago

I had a nice Black Rose that had been in Japan at one time. It was jumpered for 100 vac and played fine. Some voltages were a little high, when I noticed I jumpered it correctly and all the electronics survived. It still had cabinet fade but the playfield and cannon were nice.

#62 2 years ago

"Nobody cares" is a curious conclusion. The OP started the thread based on the fact that potential buyers lost interest because they cared. Obviously there are people who care. Never mind asking for a discount, they don't even want anything to do with them.

Given two similar TZ at the same price, one domestic and one import, I'll choose the domestic one. Maybe for a popular title like TZ it won't affect the overall demand or price. But in general, like Tim_Hanian said, less demand means lower value / lower price. I've also experienced this: have been able to pick up some bargains because of it.

This thread could have used a vote, would have been curious to see what percentage care.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

"Nobody cares" is a curious conclusion. The OP started the thread based on the fact that potential buyers lost interest because they cared. Obviously there are people who care. Never mind asking for a discount, they don't even want anything to do with them.
    Given two similar TZ at the same price, one domestic and one import, I'll choose the domestic one. Maybe for a popular title like TZ it won't affect the overall demand or price. But in general, like DryHeat said, less demand means lower value / lower price. I've also experienced this: have been able to pick up some bargains because of it.
    This thread could have used a vote, would have been curious to see what percentage care.

Yeah cause that’s how buying pins works. You go to the local supermarket and there’s always TZs available whenever you want. And of course, there’s always two available at the exact same price in the exact same condition on the rack. Except - get this! - One is a reimport and one isn’t. And of course, being a savvy, educated shopper, you take the domestic!!

Back in the real world, on planet earth, if a game you are looking for is available at the right price in the right condition and the right location you buy it, and you don’t think twice about if it took a couple trips across the ocean 25 years ago.

Thats what I meant by nobody cares. Total non issue in 2021.

#64 2 years ago

Anybody else on Thesamba? This reads like a Brazilian bus thread!

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah cause that’s how buying pins works. You go to the local supermarket and there’s always TZs available whenever you want. And of course, there’s always two available at the exact same price in the exact same condition on the rack. Except - get this! - One is a reimport and one isn’t. And of course, being a savvy, educated shopper, you take the domestic!!
    Back in the real world, on planet earth, if a game you are looking for is available at the right price in the right condition and the right location you buy it, and you don’t think twice about if it took a couple trips across the ocean 25 years ago.
    Thats what I meant by nobody cares. Total non issue in 2021.

Not surprised you don't grasp the value of a hypothetical to illustrate a point.

#66 2 years ago

Someone explain to me exactly the differences between a domestic machine and re-import. Except for the coin door (easily replaced) there AREN'T any! Any talk about hacks and poor maintenance is highly dependent on which operator owned the game previously, just like here in the US. You see nice re-imports and crappy ones, just like with domestic machines. Anybody who turns down a re-import just because its a re-import doesn't really know what they are talking about. Condition is everything, no matter where the game spent its life on location.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Someone explain to me exactly the differences between a domestic machine and re-import. Except for the coin door (easily replaced) there AREN'T any!

Reimport won't have a service outlet. Different main fuse or fuses. Different line filter or thermistor or varistor. Williams DMD era CPU without switches will have the jumpers cut for which country.

LTG

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Not surprised you don't grasp the value of a hypothetical to illustrate a point.

I think you are, too. If you can find a nice TZ in good shape locally and fairly priced you take it. That's it. If you don't buy it someone else will in a minute. Tough to be picky in seller's market.

#69 2 years ago

You may not have noticed, I said a popular title like TZ, it likely wouldn't affect value. TZ wasn't even my hypothetical: I was just playing along.

#70 2 years ago

I have a Dataeast re import from Argentina and yes it has all the things people piss and moan about it was hacked /mismatched parts, water swelling damage on bottom. You can look and see it was played to hell and some bottom playfield screw holes are all the way from the bottom to the top through paint. Took about 2 months to get the smell of the glade plug in out that was in service outlet. Most would have junked it out at some point but hadn't. It was sold local as parts game. They had 2 games in Ad for sale the DE game and a Gottlieb em. By the time i got there the person sold the gottlieb game i was mostly after and not told me but thats for another thread.

Game was complete which surprised me it just looks bad and to my surprise it kinda worked. Bought it for agreed as parts price and learned a lot at and got it working 100%. I will never sell it just because it is so rough. To make it right would be not worth it. New total cabinet faster then fixing that one, playfeild swap, metals would need paint or replated. So yes look with both eyes if you buying any game or even if is a fixed upper. I haven't seen the nice imports that other have got so far. Still play it and still love it so not all bad.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-deal-with-re-imports/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.