(Topic ID: 147599)

What's the cost of unboxing a pin?

By Luckydogg420

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I had this chat with a friend the other day and here's my thoughts on it, just wondering what others thought too.

Ive heard many people say that "you can sell it for virtually what you have into it", but I don't think this should be true for new games. Sure people ad modifications to their game to increase their value, but is it enough to keep the price the same? Possibly but I doubt it.

So what's the cost to drive it off the lot?

I figure that anyone buying a second hand game would not expect to pay retail prices or the tax associated with a nib purchase. Here in Ontario, Canada the tax on a nib game is ~$1500

What's the experience of unboxing worth? I suggested to my friend that ripping the cardboard off a game and setting it up for the first time has a value. I ball parked the figure at ~$500

So locally I'd assume that a nib game would loose about $2000 on the resale market, but this doesn't seem to be true.

I'm not taking into consideration games that are out of production and that have increased in value because of demand. I'm only interested in games that come up for sale while their still available new.

What's the cost of unboxing a game?

#11 8 years ago

This thread is totally just a hypothetical question. I'm awaiting delivery of my first nib game and plan to keep it for years and play the shit out of it.

Our discussion was spurred from a comment by someone else on pinside. That person basically said that they had considered selling their game of thrones pin (while so many are still waiting for theirs) because it wasn't enjoyable to them. I think it's ludicrous to sell a game so quickly after purchase, but some titles just don't work for some people.

What about crap games? Lets use WWE or Kiss as an example. If the game is undesirable will the valu drop like a stone once opened, or would you expect to resale it for ~$500 less than retail?

This is just an interesting topic to me.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

I have only bought nib because getting one on the used market would be tough
    So faced with the uncertainty that a used game that I want to show up on the market vs gaurantee of getting the machine I want.

This was my thought too. Several Canadian collectors had mentioned that they were out on GoT because of the low dollar. So do I risk waiting a couple years and hope to find a used one when the usual guys brining new games into the country are not bringing in the game I can't miss out on. I was considering buying a huo TSPP or LOTR but the problem is finding someone willing to sell theirs. A lot of trades/sales are done by word of mouth and if your not in those circles of conversation you miss out. I'm not a league player and don't have any other friends with a pinball machine, if I want to buy one it's from the classified adds along with every other ambulance chaser in the province.

For most of my life the Canadian dollar has been ~30 cents below the American dollar, so I decided to buy right away instead of waiting around for a rebound that might never come. I could wait a couple years for finished code and a (hopefully) cheaper price or I could play pinball and enjoy a game.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

should have held on to the AMH a few more months

Amh and any other very low production game that is good will keep their value over a mass produced stern game. Especially 20 years from now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-cost-of-unboxing-a-pin?tu=luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.