(Topic ID: 102406)

what's the closest substitution for a FL-11722?

By bigehrl

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bigehrl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-424.jpg

#2 9 years ago

You probably don't want to substitute. It depends on the game, but the closest thing is a 11753, which is less powerful and might not work as a replacement as it could be too weak.

A 11630 would be too powerful most likely and do damage. Technically, you could put a 1n4004 or 1n4007 diode on the power wires going to the coil to drop the voltage down and make it weaker, but not recommended. I'd just get a new 11753 though. Coils are like $12-15.

#3 9 years ago

FL-11753 (yellow) weakest
FL-11722 (green)
FL-11630 (red)
FL-15411 (orange)
FL-11629 (blue) strongest

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago

I think it would take a lot of diodes to sufficiently weaken a 11630 to the level of a 11722.

Best solution is to just buy the correct replacement.

If you can't, you always go one level DOWN in power (in this case, the 11753 is the only choice) and just have to accept that it may not have enough power to do the job.

#5 9 years ago

ok. thanks guys.

it's an f-14 upper right flipper. coil was smoking, so I cut it out and unfortunately don't have that one on hand. the lower right flipper is now out. is that expected?

#6 9 years ago

check the fuse under the playfield. Its kinda hidden

#7 9 years ago

thanks. fuse is fine.

I'm wondering if the upper flipper is not connected, would it impact the lower right flipper?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

thanks. fuse is fine.
I'm wondering if the upper flipper is not connected, would it impact the lower right flipper?

Does F-14 use a dual EOS switch or something for the one side?

#9 9 years ago

not in front of the game right now, but I don't believe so

#10 9 years ago

It is the right side, so that probably has the lane change switch stacked with the EOS switch.

What about the cabinet button?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

thanks. fuse is fine.

Without looking at the manual, I would say it depends on how you disconnected it. If any lug had more than one wire on it, those wires need to still be together away from the lug (and taped).

Quoted from thedefog:

A 11630 would be too powerful most likely and do damage.

11630 and the word powerful shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Not a powerful coil. A littler stronger than factory, but not a plastic breaker. Most system 11's have 11630's and you don't hear a lot of complaints about air balls or broken plastics from those folks.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

11630 and the word powerful shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Not a powerful coil. A littler stronger than factory, but not a plastic breaker. Most system 11's have 11630's and you don't hear a lot of complaints about air balls or broken plastics from those folks.

For an upper flipper? Yes, it could absolutely break plastics, depending on the game.

#14 9 years ago

image-424.jpgimage-424.jpg

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

For an upper flipper? Yes, it could absolutely break plastics, depending on the game.

I upgraded the upper flipper on my location Ripley's to a 11630 a couple years ago and haven't had a broken plastic yet. I definitely wouldn't recommend an 11629 for an upper flipper. That's the big jump. 11630 (weak) ---> 11629 (much stronger).

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I upgraded the upper flipper on my location Ripley's to a 11630 a couple years ago and haven't had a broken plastic yet. I definitely wouldn't recommend an 11629 for an upper flipper. That's the big jump. 11630 (weak) ---> 11629 (much stronger).

I guess it is really game dependent. It also changes the gameplay. I think a game like F-14 probably could get away with it, that game is a tank.

#17 9 years ago

If the coil is smoking it could be locked on. You may have a board issue if this recurs.

#18 9 years ago

Not in a system 11 game.

There's no board control whatsoever of flippers in any system 11 game.

The only way to "smoke" a coil on a system 11 game is if the EOS switch is maladjusted and never opens.

If this happens, the power winding is always engaged, and quickly overheats.

If the current flow "welds" the cabinet flipper button contacts together during this process, it'll never release, and will continue to hold until either there's a wire failure, or the fuse blows.

#19 9 years ago

i believe the pawl was binding, causing the EOS to never be actuated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-closest-substitution-for-a-fl-11722 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.