(Topic ID: 105057)

What's the Best Way to Set the Glass Down?

By Gemini

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Blairally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So I did indeed pick up my very first pinball machine though I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. In the interim though, despite all the useful info and tips I've looked up, I have a simple question that I've been unable to find any decent answers to:

When you take the playfield glass off, where's the best place to put it to avoid the dangers of explosive shattering?

I have a bunch of floor space so I was thinking just lay it flat on a blanket, as it seems from what I've read that its the edges you absolutely do not want to apply point-specific pressure to with tempered glass, such as if you go to lean it up against a wall and accidentally set it on top of a floor protrusion of some sort. When we were out buying the pin, before lifting the playfield to look underneath the tech simply set the glass on top of the glass in another pin that was there, but I only have one pin so that's clearly not an option. : B

If leaning it up against the wall is better than laying it flat on a blanket, is it safer to lean it up lengthwise or widthwise? It seems to me lengthwise would be less likely to produce a deadly pressure point by accident. Should I still use the blanket too for the bottom to rest on?

#2 9 years ago

I typically put it down vertical leaned up against another game or secure object, on carpet flooring. You want to Avoid hard surfaces that are much colder than actual room temp; i.e concrete or tile flooring. I will never put it all the way lying down, just lean it against something and just avoid surfaces that can have a dramatic difference in temperature vs room temp.

#3 9 years ago

Simply put something soft on the floor a piece of carpet is ideal. And stand the glass upwards and lean it against a wall vertically. If the wall is plaster it should be fine otherwise put a rag or cloth behind it the top.

Trick is not to put it down on something hard. It is not that fragile.

Obviously don't put it where there is wind.

Dont lay it flat, awkward to lift.

#4 9 years ago

Very carefully on carpet, making sure not to bang the corners.

#5 9 years ago

I work as a glazier, on site we rest glass on offcuts of timber and for big panels , say 100kg + in weight, we use carpet sample books at each end as it allows us to rest the glass and gives room to put your hand under to lift.

#6 9 years ago

I put mine down on a stool that has a semi-hard rubber top that has some give. I NEVER put glass down on a hard floor.

Never had a piece of glass set down break, but I've had three pieces of glass break on me - two that turned out to be simple plate glass (very dangerous) that broke as I was taking them out of the machine and one sheet of safety glass that probably got the corners hit as it was being taken out. A mess to clean up, but a safe mess.

If you have any glass that you are unsure of, replace it with tempered glass. The risk of injury from broken plate glass isn't worth saving a few dollars.

#7 9 years ago

Like others have said, put it down vertically, leaning against a wall. If you have tile or cement floor then get yourself a carpet square or carpet sample to put it on to protect the edges. I haven't broken one in a game yet (knock on wood) but did have one break on me when putting it out to the curb (it was super scratched). I was carrying it, turned to put it down, the wind blew, and it disintegrated in my hands. Scary, but not a scratch on me.

Dave

#8 9 years ago

To me it isnt so much about putting it on wood or concrete, its that sometimes we dont realize how fast we are setting it down, and too much force while lowering it will cause it to explode. When lowering it I catch it with the tip of my shoe to dampen the impact

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-set-the-glass-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.