(Topic ID: 42528)

What's the best way to remove Mylar glue?

By Sharon

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mylar2.jpg
    mylar1.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I just removed the large section of mylar from my DW. It was really nasty; bubbles, peeling up at the edges, etc. The smaller sections seems okay for now, so I will be leaving them. I used a can of inverted dusting gas (well, several cans, some areas seemed like they had a lot more glue than other areas) and it came off in one big sheet...or would have if I hadn't cut parts of the peeled off parts off to make it easier. But BLEAH! Even the blowback into my face made my lips taste like bitterant! Defintely a good idea to keep something sweet on hand in case you taste it!

So now I have a sticky playfield. Goo Gone isn't really cutting it, it's just making it an oily sticky playfield. I'm afraid to use mineral oil - I don't want to take the graphics off too....

So what's the best (or even the easiest) for removing the sticky leftovers?

#2 7 years ago

I'm doing it right at the moment and agree that goo gone is not cutting it. I may try some naphtha.

#3 7 years ago

Brake cleaner worked for me on Judge Dredd

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from rodfone:

Brake cleaner worked for me on Judge Dredd

I never thought about that! That is good stuff. Did it harm your playfield at all?

#5 7 years ago

brake cleaner

#6 7 years ago

Magic eraser & alcohol works very well for me, just don't overdo it.

#7 7 years ago

No harm to playfield

#8 7 years ago

Goo Gone (NOT Goo Off) and flour is supposed to work good. Sprinkle flour to absorb the glue and cause it to crystalize/ball up as you rub it.

#9 7 years ago

I just finished doing the same thing to a SI. Several magic erasers, rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. Goo Gone just didn't cut it.

#10 7 years ago

Just got done cleaning a whole playfield off with brake cleaner. Super fast and super easy! Beats the heck out of goo gone!

Thanks for the tip!

#11 7 years ago

Thanks so much! I'm going out to get brake cleaner first thing tomorrow

#12 7 years ago

I just did a Bally Atlantis, successfully used the freeze method to remove the Mylar. But that left such a thick layer of glue on the playfield, and the flour/Goo Gone trick did not work for me.

Straight Goo Gone was also getting no where. Especially where the Mylar had lifted in areas (causing a diagonal speed bump across the playfield)... the lifted Mylar had caused dried glue ridges.

I eventually went with Magic Erasers and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Still went through about 5 ME's and 1/2 the alcohol.

This was my first attempt at removing Mylar, and I guess it turned out OK. I lost a little paint and a few inserts, that I will eventually fix. But for now, the game is going back together (maybe for MGC).

A couple of before & after pics. You can see the massive bubbled Mylar. (oh, and the huge scratch across her lovely thigh... not my doing. Some previous owner must have taken a razor to the Mylar in front of the flipper area, and went too deep, causing the eventual worse damage.)

Greg

IMG_2335.jpg IMG_2450.jpg

#13 7 years ago

Scroll down to the "909" Orange power cleaner. Turns glue into jelly in about 60 seconds, wipe off PF...

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

#14 7 years ago

FINALLY got all the ick off - I do believe there was two layers of glue, like someone took off the old mylar and then stuck new on without removing the old glue first.

The Brake cleaner also did not work on it's own, neither did a few other things. Should I ever have to [shudder] do this again, I'll be trying out the 909 orange. I ended up using four different chemicals in rotation: goo gone, brake cleaner, rubbing alcohol, and plain old Fantastic cleaner. This seemed to work best. Only spent 12 hours or so on it. And wouldn't you know *D'Oh!* there's some planking that the icky mylar was hiding.

I'm going to check out some mylar alternatives. I hear that the stealth protectors are pretty good, anyone try those?

#15 7 years ago

I tried to use Goo Gone and good old fashioned elbow grease for an hour on a small section on my I500 playfield. I tried the flour and isopropyl alcohol trick and removed more glue in 1/10 of the time and efford compared to using Goo Gone and I even let the puddle of Goo Gone sit for an hour too.

mylar1.jpg mylar2.jpg

6 years later
    #17 10 months ago

I heard these guys switched to round up like 4 years ago

For the record alcohol on a paper towel, leave on PF for a couple minutes, ball up/rub off

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sharon:

.... mylar from my DW. So what's the best (or even the easiest) for removing the sticky leftovers?

This method changes depending on the type of playfield: Newer factory clear coated (like a Diamond Plate playfield), Williams System 11 playfields, older lacquered playfields, etc. Your DW (Dr Who) is a factory Diamond Plate clear coated playfield. So use Naphtha on a soaked paper towel. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and the mylar glue will be easy to remove.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 18.95
    $ 30.40
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 8,999.00
    $ 64.95
    $ 49.00
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside