(Topic ID: 140506)

What's the Best Way to Haul Pin Down Stairs?

By Scout

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211217-144706_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    AP (resized).png
    thumbnail_IMG_3619 (resized).jpg
    537CE22B-61C5-4C70-A82F-F281185B2309 (resized).jpeg
    22DF2713-4DE3-40BF-BDCE-FD9C473D1444 (resized).jpeg
    C48A7E92-BB31-4E63-9B43-33F8A53BC015 (resized).jpeg
    42F330A6-62D5-4756-A67B-B966189B2EB0 (resized).jpeg
    736C93AE-E72A-43DD-A306-77AA317DCD1B (resized).jpeg
    vM2AE5.gif
    Random-Funny-Stuff-05-1.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

Are pneumatic tires really better than appliance dollies? I've got to move my first NIb game down to the basement tomorrow and was planning on renting a appliance dolly with stair treads. Although I already own a d-handle pneumatic tire like this:
    [quoted image]

Entirely possible I've been using an inappropriate one, but I've always found it FAR more difficult with those big fat pneumatic tires. The appliance dolly is just so much more stable on stairs.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't like the way those tires bounce around all over the place. Unpredictable.
    Appliance mover with treads / ratchet strap far more stable and easier to control.

Ok thanks. I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but should you use a moving blanket on the dolly first, and wrap it around the cabinet before ratcheting the straps? Seems like the decals would be pretty vulnerable where the straps are tightening.

#53 2 years ago

Ok thanks. I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but should you use a moving blanket on the dolly first, and wrap it around the cabinet before ratcheting the straps? Seems like the decals would be pretty vulnerable where the straps are tightening.

I do not find this to be necessary.

My General preference is keep everything as neat and unfussy as possible.

#54 2 years ago

I have wrapped every pin i have moved with stretch wrap. Check out some of the pictures in this thread, most of the machine are wrapped or also incased in a box to protect it. Last time i slid the pin down the stairs in cardboard box it it was a lot easier than using a dolly, but it needs two people below the pin to do it safely. When i was a younger man i could hand truck a pin down and up stairs on my own (big tires)...those days have passed. Depending on your area you can also rent an Escalera. Be safe and go with the method you are most comfortable with.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-haul-pin-down-stairs#post-6600640

#55 2 years ago

I never thought moving a pinball machine was difficult. I guess it boils down to 2 words; weight room

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from SirMachismo:

I have wrapped every pin i have moved with stretch wrap. Check out some of the pictures in this thread, most of the machine are wrapped or also incased in a box to protect it. Last time i slid the pin down the stairs in cardboard box it it was a lot easier than using a dolly, but it needs two people below the pin to do it safely. When i was a younger man i could hand truck a pin down and up stairs on my own (big tires)...those days have passed. Depending on your area you can also rent an Escalera. Be safe and go with the method you are most comfortable with.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-haul-pin-down-stairs#post-6600640

I was contemplating this method but I don't have carpeted stairs, so I wasn't sure how well it would work without.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't like the way those tires bounce around all over the place. Unpredictable.
    Appliance mover with treads / ratchet strap far more stable and easier to control.

Agreed, those are better for going through yards and for longer distances (why I have the big wheel attatchment for the Escalara) but they suck for stairs, especially going up where you have to provide additional lifting power to deal with the added diameter of the tires contacting the stair edges.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anubis330:

I never thought moving a pinball machine was difficult. I guess it boils down to 2 words; weight room

I had a guy who came to my house once to buy a WOZ - he said almost the exact same thing when moving it. Threw his back out trying to put it in his car

#59 2 years ago

Maybe there comes a time to consider just moving into basement ,,,,,,,. Likely most space avaiable main floor for added games to your collection!

Kitchens and bathroom's overrated as matters of convenience anyway .

Shane

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not getting younger and the games oddly getting much heavier I opted to make some cheap tracks for $10 and a Harbor Freight 120v winch ($100 on sale). Winch and rails come off in just a few minutes and I simply watch it travel down and automatically stand up at the bottom. Wish I did this several hundred games ago..... Tracks are sectioned in half with a hinge so they fold up and slide under a pin when I'm not using them.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My stairs are carpeted, so I still do the cardboard surfboard going down the stairs, but I use a Harbor Freight 120v winch for going up. No need for tracks, I attach to top crossbar of the heavy duty UHaul dolly someone left at my house 25 years ago. The back is smooth (dolly lays flat on the floor/stairs) and it slides up the stairs with ease right onto the landing and straight out through the garage door.

#61 2 years ago

Are pneumatic tires really better than appliance dollies? I've got to move my first NIb game down to the basement tomorrow and was planning on renting a appliance dolly with stair treads. Although I already own a d-handle pneumatic tire like this:
    [quoted image]

If you have a friend helping, this dolly is fine.

#62 2 years ago

Had a helper and used the appliance dolly. Worked great. Also used an extra strap at the bottom of the game to keep it from slipping off the foot plate.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-haul-pin-down-stairs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.