(Topic ID: 36592)

What's the best way to get a pinball up a flight of stairs?

By copperpot

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tracelifter
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

YodaForceLift.jpg
    pindolly_003.jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I'm moving my pins... upstairs! I don't have an escalera, but i do have a nice appliance dolly. The stairs are not straight, there are 2 landings and the stairs are at 90 degree angles.

One person High, one person low, no dolly?
    One person High, one person low, use appliance dolly?
    One person High, 2 people Low, no dolly?

I've never done it before, i need to move 4-5 machines up. What do you suggest?

-Wes

#2 8 years ago

would go with two low when going up, yes use dolly. same thing when moving it down, would have two under machine.... just to be safe

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

One person High, one person low, use appliance dolly

This method works best for me

#4 8 years ago

2 people, 1 dolly. move up a flight, rotate, move up, rotate, already have door off hinge, rotate in front of door drop it down and pick it up move onto milk crates...or whatever method you use for getting the legs on.

If they aren't carpeted it will be tougher

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

would go with two low when going up, yes use dolly. same thing when moving it down, would have two under machine.... just to be safe

This is what I do when possible. Better safe than sorry. All my pins are on the second floor of the my garage.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

One person High, one person low, use appliance dolly?

I agree with sleethering on this one. My feeling is that 2 on the bottom gets crowded, especially on narrow staircases. Be sure to use that strap on the appliance dolly too!

#7 8 years ago

I would also use another strap or wrap to hold the head down seperately from the dolly. Up my stairs, which are tight, we have to take the dolly off, rotate the game and then re-strap it.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

What do you suggest?

Pay someone else.

#9 8 years ago

And have some paint ready to touch up the walls.

#10 8 years ago

If there are no time constraints... tear them completely apart and move piece by piece.
    (heads off, playfields out) Best time for inspections & cleaning when re-assembling.

#11 8 years ago

Rent an Escalera, use two people.

#12 8 years ago

Wolfmarsh, yeah, that's a GREAT option, but I'd rather take that extra cash and put it into my next pin... I'm strong, and manual labor is expensive.

Timerider, also a good idea, but I have 2 kids and an impatient wife, time is my MAIN constraint.

Sounds like I should get a couple guys over, a couple 6 packs of good beer, and take our time...

-Wes

#13 8 years ago

Easiest way: Hire movers, costs about $150.

Otherwise, buy or borrow an escalera.

#14 8 years ago

I find using a dolly cart is a pain and it takes twice as long. My buddy and I man handle them. Quick and dirty.

When I moved into my new house, him and I moved a total of 6 pins and 12 arcade cabinets by hand. No cart. We were tried and had to spend the remainder of the evening with brown bottles.

#15 8 years ago

Best way out of what you named? Use an appliance dolly with two people. It's the safest way. Take it slowly, one stair at a time, and you'll find that it's not too hard.

#16 8 years ago

I've got stairs that are about 10 stairs up, landing, shimmy the machine 3 feet to the right, then 10 stairs up in the opposite direction. The landing is too narrow to use ANY sort of dolly.

I'm young and rent a couple rooms of my house out to guys my age. After 2-3 pins, you'll get a system down and it won't be too difficult. When I have people over, they freak out when they see my stairs. "You need to install an elevator!." "Do you take your games apart?"

In reality, from legs on in the basement to pin secured in the van takes about 15-20 minutes on average now.

You can do it!!

I like the idea of having a couple of friends. Allows someone to take a break every once in a while.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

No cart. We were tried and had to spend the remainder of the evening with brown bottles.

Yeah if you can do it that way for sure it's the quickest, and you get some excersize. I wonder aboot stairs though. Need to get a beater pin I don;t mind roughing up to run some tests.

#18 8 years ago

There are companies which rent out equipment like Escalaras. Google it.

#19 8 years ago

I find carts/dollys to be overrated unless you are doing at least 5 pins. ... and I'm FAR from being physically fit.

Time consuming. Plus, the game feels every bump in the ground ... I've dealt with lots of cracked solder joints thanks to moving games over bumpy terrain with carts and dollys. (Though, a tire with air in it will relieve a lot of that jostling)

#21 8 years ago

I used these with a buddy. He swore by them. Personally, I thought they sucked. I've used the over-the-shoulder ones and the 'forearm forklifts'. I would MUCH rather have my hands on the game then balance them.

Although, I've had lots of people tell me that they love them ... not for me though.

#22 8 years ago

The main reason I prefer a dolly is that if a game gets away from you while carrying it, it's extremely dangerous for the person below. You're also sure to damage the game and the home.

#23 8 years ago

Was that a Canadian joke?

#24 8 years ago

I've used the Shoulder Dolly to move all kinds of things, including refrigerators, couches, dressers, and more up/down stairs. I've never used it to move a pinball machine up stairs, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. As with most tools, there's a technique to using this, and practicing makes it much easier. People who are used to using brute strength to move things usually don't see the point. I'm not a big guy so brute strength is out for me. I have to think about how to move heavy things, and this works great.

Here's the link to the manuf. with a video how-to:
    http://shoulderdolly.com/products-2/consumer-shoulderdolly/

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from rockinganker:

Was that a Canadian joke?

Ha no...just been typing it that way forever. Michigan is close enough

Straps and shoulder dollys are great and all, but as soon as someone makes a video moving a 3 foot long, 300 lbs, pinball machine up multiple landings or turns like the OP asked I'm not buying it.

#26 8 years ago

Rent an electric stair climbing dolly, best $20 you will ever spend.

Once you try it, you will never even think of lugging a machine up the stairs again.

Don't forget to remove the balls, and any loose boards, balls, plastics in the cabinet.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$20 for a rental? Seriously? Geez I'll take that everyday of the week. I just had my Wh20 sitting in the living room for days waiting for help.

#28 8 years ago

For regular pins two people and a dolly works. For widebody's I prefer 3 people and a dolly but have done it with just two.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Once you try it, you will never even think of lugging a machine up the stairs again.
    Don't forget to remove the balls, and any loose boards, balls, plastics in the cabinet.

From where?

#30 8 years ago

I just throw it on my shoulder and take it up i dont see the problem.....I do this all the time with "THE PIN"

#31 8 years ago

I know that the extra cash option is out, but just for the sake of chiming in...

I've made friendly with a local piano store. I pay the guys $50 cash to stop by my place when they are out on their regular run and move a machine up/down my stairs using their piano palette.

Lazy, I know, but it works and they're careful as all hell since they're used to moving grand pianos worth tens of thousands of dollars.

#32 8 years ago

Wrap the head in a moving blanket and then saran wrap. Wrap the cabinet the same way. Then lower the head and wrap it all together nice and tight. I know it seems like a bit much for a move from one room to another, but....... It's amazing how much easier it is to move a pin around tight corners and through narrow landings when you take the worry of damaging walls and the pin off your mind. At that point, I would just carry them by hand with a helper.

Good Luck!

#33 8 years ago

Call any tool rental yard, they have electric and battery operated.

#34 8 years ago

1 person high, 1 person low (2 low is crowded), stair climber appliance dolly, STRAP around pin and secure strap directly to the dolly. I have done this many times and its the BEST way. Going to the gym everyday and getting on the "back" machine doesnt hurt either!

good luck my friend

#35 8 years ago

Rockets!

#36 8 years ago

Lower them with a crane through a pinball shaped "sunroof"!

#37 8 years ago

Escalaras are incredible but very expensive. Appliance dolly with one up top and one on bottom works well. I always do a "1 - 2 - 3 - Step" for each step. The person on the top has the hardest work. I recently brought a Mortal Kombat 27" video game and a TSPP out of a guy's basement. After getting that monster game out, the TSPP felt as light as a feather. I need a lighter hobby.

Worst one I ever did was a Gottlieb Circus up stairs with a turn in them by myself. That was nuts!

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

After getting that monster game out, the TSPP felt as light as a feather.

I had a Hyper Sports arcade in the 90s and I swear that thing was way worse to move than any pin I own.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I know that the extra cash option is out, but just for the sake of chiming in...

I've made friendly with a local piano store. I pay the guys $50 cash to stop by my place when they are out on their regular run and move a machine up/down my stairs using their piano palette.

Lazy, I know, but it works and they're careful as all hell since they're used to moving grand pianos worth tens of thousands of dollars.

That's not lazy, that's smart.

#40 8 years ago

Escalaras are incredible but very expensive. Appliance dolly with one up top and one on bottom works well. I always do a "1 - 2 - 3 - Step" for each step. The person on the top has the hardest work. I recently brought a Mortal Kombat 27" video game and a TSPP out of a guy's basement. After getting that monster game out, the TSPP felt as light as a feather. I need a lighter hobby.
    Worst one I ever did was a Gottlieb Circus up stairs with a turn in them by myself. That was nuts!

Appliance dolly is too heavy, here is one I made up with a longer handle for the guy at the top (me).
    2 guys with this is easy doing the 1-2-3 bump on each tread.

pindolly_003.jpg

#41 8 years ago

Get a dolly. You on top, and mother-in-law on bottom!

#42 8 years ago

Legs off, head down (or off) so you can see. One person at each end. Lift. Go. Use your legs, not your back. Breathe deeply. Four of my five machines are upstairs... 17 steps.

#43 8 years ago

Okay, it starts with lots of cold beer, and a few phone-calls to your buddies ...

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Appliance dolly is too heavy, here is one I made up with a longer handle for the guy at the top (me).
    2 guys with this is easy doing the 1-2-3 bump on each tread.

I have 2 Appliance Dollys. While they both work for steps, I usually use my lighter one for steps. My heavier one works best for heavy games because it has rear fly-out wheels to hold the weight.

#45 8 years ago

I'm an expert on this Second floor gameroom!
    Depends on a few things...but what works for me:

As cheesy as it may sound, forearm forklifts!
    I do take the head off, but that's because of space constraints.

The forearm forklifts enable myself and my wife to move machines up and down as needed. There are some things you need to bear in mind about them, I can elaborate if you want.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

1 person high, 1 person low (2 low is crowded), stair climber appliance dolly, STRAP around pin and secure strap directly to the dolly. I have done this many times and its the BEST way. Going to the gym everyday and getting on the "back" machine doesnt hurt either!
    good luck my friend

Thats methods works good for me to ,just make sure your belts turn freely and the smaller wheels seem to work the best

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

The forearm forklifts enable myself and my wife to move machines up and down as needed. There are some things you need to bear in mind about them, I can elaborate if you want.

I've tried these, but have not had success so please share any tips you have.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

I've used the Shoulder Dolly to move all kinds of things, including refrigerators, couches, dressers, and more up/down stairs. I've never used it to move a pinball machine up stairs, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. As with most tools, there's a technique to using this, and practicing makes it much easier. People who are used to using brute strength to move things usually don't see the point. I'm not a big guy so brute strength is out for me. I have to think about how to move heavy things, and this works great.
    Here's the link to the manuf. with a video how-to:
    http://shoulderdolly.com/products-2/consumer-shoulderdolly/

I do the same thing. Our stairs aren't long, but we've got a small top landing and it's not wide enough to turn a pin on a dolly. With the shoulderdolly, me and a buddy can spin it in place and get it through the doorway. It's still a pain, but much better than trying to lift a pin on a dolly or by hand and spin it 90 degrees. Even though the load gets awkward as you go on the stairs, the weight is still evenly distributed between the two people, and the load is on your major muscles, not just your arms.

#50 8 years ago

The big trick with the forklifts is to bear in mind that they somehow invert the load so the person high winds up with the bulk. Just make sure you cross them in the middle and grab low enough so that you're essentially hugging the machine.

They don't make it feather-light, but they do shift the load just enough to make the difference between my wife and I moving a machine or not.

Used them for close to a dozen machines up a narrow flight of steps (have about 1" of clearance on either side). Tried a dolly twice and just not as comfy for us. We have done it, but I feel it's just a lot of bumping around on the machine and takes longer than just walking it up

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 224.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 11.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 125.00
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside