Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pintard version 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3644 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0315 (resized).PNG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Pay pal... cashiers check....google wallet? What do you recommend

#4 6 years ago

Got somebody trying to scam me says he is off shore buying for his cousin will only pay pal me offered 550$ more to seal the deal..... is pay pal safe?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

Got somebody trying to scam me says he is off shore buying for his cousin will only pay pal me offered 550$ more to seal the deal..... is pay pal safe?

PayPal is never safe for the seller.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#8 6 years ago

Wire transfer confirmed with your bank. Absolutely do not do PayPal with an offshore buyer.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from lmo:

Wire transfer confirmed with your bank.

Even wire transfer can be faked.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#10 6 years ago

I just sold a phone on ebay with paypal.

He took the phone, used it for a month.

Then he said "I don't want it"

He lied and said "Not as advertized" to paypal.

Paypal fully refunded him his money without question, and I get a well used phone in worse condition than I sold it sent back to me, with zero ability to fight it.

Do not use paypal for high dollar purchases. Ever.

#11 6 years ago

PayPal isn't worth the headache. Too many variables and ways to take your machine AND your money for the buyer.

#12 6 years ago

I actually haven't had to sell anything yet, but if I were to sell a game it would be in person, cash only. I probably wouldn't ship a game, or anything else like that. Buyer has to show up in person, load the game in their vehicle, and hand over the cash.

Also, depending on the price of the game (if it's in the thousands) you can buy a marker that can detect counterfeit bills. A guy actually had one of these when I picked a game a few years ago. Made me want to get one just in case. Can't be too careful when scammers will try anything, including giving you fake bills.

#13 6 years ago

In God we trust all others pay ca$h

#14 6 years ago

Yeah total scam sounds exactly like the link from vid..... damn scammers. Wish I could press a button on my phone that would make theirs explode in there hands so they can't type scams anymore....... told him he's a scammer and he is still trying lol.very persistent

#15 6 years ago

IMG_0315 (resized).PNGIMG_0315 (resized).PNG

#16 6 years ago

I feel stupid almost went for it lol

#17 6 years ago

Block the number and don't waste your time.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

I feel stupid almost went for it lol

Don't feel stupid.

I've got about 40 emails from people who took the bait, but were kind enough to detail the scam to me so that others would not get taken.

I've also been at the Post Office when the person ahead of me had 4 PMOs, all fake.

-

"Keep your eyes open and your legs shut" - Grandpaw Vid

#19 6 years ago

Vid1900, I know people keep saying this all the time, but you are an absolute treasure to the hobby of pinball. It's amazing how anytime I'm looking for something on Pinside you've already answered it or are just in general always helping people. Keep up the good work man you are one of the good ones.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Vid1900, I know people keep saying this all the time, but you are an absolute treasure to the hobby of pinball. It's amazing how anytime I'm looking for something on Pinside you've already answered it or are just in general always helping people. Keep up the good work man you are one of the good ones.

I couldn't agree more thanx vid

#22 6 years ago

Escrow.com

#23 6 years ago

Paypal friends and family and they cant get the money back, right?

#24 6 years ago

Straight cash, homie.

IMG_3644 (resized).JPGIMG_3644 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

When I ship a game, I only accept a bank to bank wire transfer. Once it's in my account and the bank confirms receipt, it can't be reversed. Local sales cash, or Paypal gift if I know the buyer well enough.

#26 6 years ago

Cash on the glass. You count it. I count it. We load the machine. Wish each other a nice day and off you go.

Close friends are of course, different. But the preference is still cash. That way we all remain close friends

#27 6 years ago

Just be happy you didn't go through with it..... Lesson learned.

Every pin purchase and sale I've ever done has always been, as Dave says, "Cash on the glass."

That's funny. Gonna steal that phrase.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

That's funny

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

But paypal my account was hacked! I never sent that money, it was the hacker! They get their money back, and you no longer have a pinball machine.

#30 6 years ago

Even if they send the Paypal money as a gift, they can do a chargeback.

#31 6 years ago

Personal checks from long lost Nigerian cousins. Only way to go.

#32 6 years ago

Extend left hand, palm up, to receive cash. This leaves right hand free for handshake and wave goodbye.

#33 6 years ago

How are the state to state sales here on pinside being handled? people aren't mailing cash. I was referred to paypal friend and family. i realize there is a risk to seller, but the buyers end is bank wire, which has more risk.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even if they send the Paypal money as a gift, they can do a chargeback.

Are you saying they would issue a chargeback on their credit card and then that card would come after the paypal account holder, i.e. sue them for the cash (it's easy enough to keep your paypal accountat zero balance and any associated bank accounts)? I guess that makes some sense... but who is going to start that and risk going to court when they are the ones doing the scamming? In all seriousness, has anyone actually been screwed over by the gifting option or is this all hypothetical?

As for hacking, that's a different deal and carries the same risk as any banking with online ability.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

But paypal my account was hacked! I never sent that money, it was the hacker! They get their money back, and you no longer have a pinball machine.

Dang, i should change my password to something other than password.

#36 6 years ago

Cash on personal collection, after an inspection of the machine. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

In all seriousness, has anyone actually been screwed over by the gifting option or is this all hypothetical?

OMG yes.

Remember, most scams require you to have confidence that some stupid thing is true.

"I heard on the internet that Paypal Gifts can't be disputed. I thought it must be safe!" - Guy who lost $6K.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

How are the state to state sales here on pinside being handled? people aren't mailing cash. I was referred to paypal friend and family. i realize there is a risk to seller, but the buyers end is bank wire, which has more risk.

IES is the ONLY safe way:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813455

#39 6 years ago

"Cash and carry" if conducting sales with private owners.
    Wire transfers for reputable dealers only.
    I don't want to discuss credit cards, as I don't believe in their use for buying pinball machines, new or used.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Cash on the glass. You count it. I count it. We load the machine. Wish each other a nice day and off you go.
    Close friends are of course, different. But the preference is still cash. That way we all remain close friends

I've done all my purchases this way except for one. I bought that from a store and had it shipped, so I just gave them a credit card number over the phone.

#41 6 years ago

I sold/shipped 2 pins with personal/business checks. I made it clear we could not set up shipping until the check had cleared, which was about 10 business days after deposit. No issues there, but would 1000% prefer cash.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

They're the ones that screw you the worst.

F 'em...I still charge them the going rate and try to upsell the crap I have lying around.

#43 6 years ago

For the sale of a pinball machine, a wire transfer is the best way to receive payment. Period.

But this thread is silly, not because the OP almost fell for the easiest scam in the book (sorry OP ), but because it doesn't consider the buying end. On Pinside especially, so many are quick to say they only want a wire or cash when selling but when they go to buy it's always "wellll I want to use my credit card/Paypal for protection" when cash on pickup isn't an option.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Are you saying they would issue a chargeback on their credit card and then that card would come after the paypal account holder, i.e. sue them for the cash (it's easy enough to keep your paypal accountat zero balance and any associated bank accounts)? I guess that makes some sense... but who is going to start that and risk going to court when they are the ones doing the scamming? In all seriousness, has anyone actually been screwed over by the gifting option or is this all hypothetical?
    As for hacking, that's a different deal and carries the same risk as any banking with online ability.

PayPus is the LEAST safe payment method ever devised.

Do yourself a favor and spend 10 minutes Googling "paypal scam" or "paypal ripped me off" or any other combo you like with PayPal in it and you might be gobsmacked at just how shifty and dodgy PayPus is.

EDIT:

Better still, please send me your machine air freight to Hong Kong. I will pay all of your costs and add $200 for the extra trouble. PayPus is the "only safe way to pay (just ask THEM)" so you are SWEET! Please send me your PayPus details and I will pay any way you like, even "friends" if it helps you.

FORGET PAYPUS for anything over $20 - it will end in tears.

#45 6 years ago

Tough question.I don't know how to answer....

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Tough question.I don't know how to answer....

Didn't you just pick up a MMR by the side of the road in the middle of the night for cash? You know the answer lol.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

PayPus is the LEAST safe payment method ever devised.
    Do yourself a favor and spend 10 minutes Googling "paypal scam" or "paypal ripped me off" or any other combo you like with PayPal in it and you might be gobsmacked at just how shifty and dodgy PayPus is.
    EDIT:
    Better still, please send me your machine air freight to Hong Kong. I will pay all of your costs and add $200 for the extra trouble. PayPus is the "only safe way to pay (just ask THEM)" so you are SWEET! Please send me your PayPus details and I will pay any way you like, even "friends" if it helps you.
    FORGET PAYPUS for anything over $20 - it will end in tears.

Paypal is great! Not so much for electronics & scammer type things like jewelry and pins....

The key to paypal or ebay success is to do enough volume so that a chargeback/return here or there is easily absorbed...

Think costco...10 check out lines selling....1 line doing returns

#48 6 years ago

This scenario worked for me: I had the buyer get a bank/cashier check at his bank. That bank had a branch were I lived and I DIDN'T have an account with them. Got the check then went to the branch near me and after endless verification in their system and a call to the issueing bank I left with cash in hand. If this did fail I would have only been out the time at the the local branch and would know instantly if it was a bad check. Please someone tell me how I would ever be out anything going this route again.

Mike V

#49 6 years ago

Overall I've been fortunate on long distance deals. Any purchases in following methods:
    1. Cash
    2. bank wire transfer (possible paypal deposit, 10% usually).
    3. bank draft in registered mail

In last 2 cases I've always requested additional photos of specific areas to make sure they have the machine, and as they have been pinside members, also a couple references from other members. Always err on the side of caution. Having said that, again I consider not getting burned on any of these long distance deals fortunate. Many people on here have not been so lucky. If it feels wrong let the machine go, another will come along.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Didn't you just pick up a MMR by the side of the road in the middle of the night for cash? You know the answer lol.

LOL...Yes I did!
    I was being sarcastic...i just edited my response with a brick to the head...lol

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-accept-payment-for-a-machine?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.