Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pintard version 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3644 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0315 (resized).PNG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Straight cash homie

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

I feel stupid almost went for it lol

I rented out a condo I own up in Breck on CL and got the same emails or a variation a couple times a week.

#53 6 years ago

Cash...or gold?! Lol

I would be fine with PayPal direct bank transfer as well, it's instant.

#54 6 years ago

Only CA$H

#55 6 years ago

I've a side question, what if you were buying or selling a car? That could be 10x the cost of a pinball machine.

I've never bought a car private sale because I was not sure how to protect in case it was a fake title or if the car was not paid off or some other detail.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I've a side question, what if you were buying or selling a car? That could be 10x the cost of a pinball machine.
    I've never bought a car private sale because I was not sure how to protect in case it was a fake title or if the car was not paid off or some other detail.

I was curious about this too. When you are buying a $60K car in person from a private party, do you just bring cash or a cashier's check? The few times that I have sold or bought a car, I just met the other party at my bank where there is a county Sherriff.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Cashier's check or wire transfer. Paypal to hold a deposit of a couple hundred.

Cash works if it's a smaller amount (<$10k), otherwise you draw flags trying to pull that much cash out of a bank unless you already have it, and it is risky for obvious reasons. I once bought a car for $35k cash from a private seller because the seller requested it (later found out why, tax reasons) and while we were there counting the money I couldn't help but think how easy it would be for them to rob me, even though everything checked out.

#58 6 years ago

Wow. I'm glad that a few pinside members trusted me to do PayPal when I had no feedback yet. I live so far from all of you and don't have time to travel. I guess I was nervous that I'd send them the money and never receive the machine but that never happened. I have even offered to use escrow.com and split the cost but nobody wants to do that.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Maybe meet buyer at their bank with car so the bank can issue you a certified check in person. That way you don't end up with large sum of cash and get robbed by the buyer's friends after you give him the car...

#60 6 years ago

Benjamins while brandishing a sidearm. Or just take your posse along with you.

Actually meeting at the bank is a good idea. If you use same bank then perfect. Otherwise possibly an interbank transfer?

I've only bought one and seller requested 20's. I had multiple phone calls to make sure everything was legit before I made arrangements I did take a risk, but given nice part of town I did feel safe. Also was very observant and drove around house before actually pulled in. Left money locked in car, and felt okay once in house and met guy with toddler their (although this could have been to make me feel safe). Was late afternoon, so plenty of light. I think you should always be careful when exchanging cash with strangers, and whatever you can do to mitigate risk is worth it even if it cost you something in money and convenience.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Maybe meet buyer at their bank with car so the bank can issue you a certified check in person. That way you don't end up with large sum of cash and get robbed by the buyer's friends after you give him the car...

This.

#62 6 years ago

My last 4 pinball purchases (not machines) were from Pinsiders, with PayPal. Before that I sent Iceman a personal check for ACDC. Give it a few years, let people get to know you, and then don't ever do anything to damage that trust or yer reputation. People can bitch about Pinside all they want, but there are some truly GREAT peoples here that 4 years ago I never knew existed.
    But cashk. Only.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

OMG yes.
    Remember, most scams require you to have confidence that some stupid thing is true.
    "I heard on the internet that Paypal Gifts can't be disputed. I thought it must be safe!" - Guy who lost $6K.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

I have bought and sold many games using Paypal gift as method of transfer.

For purchases intending on shipping:
    Paypal Gift or Cashiers or Personal Check - All risk on Buyer
    Regular Paypal purchase - All risk on Seller

Escrow.com works but is a pain in the ass. Money must be sent in by check then after the transaction is takes like a week for the seller to get his money. Safe but sucks

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

Got somebody trying to scam me says he is off shore buying for his cousin will only pay pal me offered 550$ more to seal the deal..... is pay pal safe?

I wouldn't hesitate to accept paypal from an offshore scammer. Go for it!

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Walleyefisher:

I have bought and sold many games using Paypal gift as method of transfer.
    Regular Paypal purchase - All risk on Seller
    Escrow.com works but is a pain in the ass. Money must be sent in by check then after the transaction is takes like a week for the seller to get his money. Safe but sucks

Don't kid yourself - PayPus "gift" DOES NOT protect you as a seller at all.

Again, do a Google and see for yourself the people who have fallen for this scammers favorite loophole.

#66 6 years ago

My bank told me that if I am transferring money inside the US using Fedwire or CHIPS once the receiving bank accepts the wire transfer it cannot be reversed unless the receiving party agrees.

The sender can cancel up until the receiving bank accepts it. also the bank can tell you if it is a wire transfer or something else which isn't as safe.

So I am curious how the seller could be ripped off with a true wire transfer. Now as a buyer that may not be acceptable and you have to find some other way such as escrow.

#67 6 years ago

I did not buy anything cash since a while and I screwed nobody... Are you also checking the bills with a detector ? Because otherwise it is not safe. I guess it is more a question of feeling between 2 people than the payment method.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cashier's check or wire transfer. Paypal to hold a deposit of a couple hundred.
    Cash works if it's a smaller amount (<$10k), otherwise you draw flags trying to pull that much cash out of a bank unless you already have it, and it is risky for obvious reasons. I once bought a car for $35k cash from a private seller because the seller requested it (later found out why, tax reasons) and while we were there counting the money I couldn't help but think how easy it would be for them to rob me, even though everything checked out.

I was thinking about this, I have my mind to maybe buy a used Porsche 911 (maybe) and it could be more than twice that ammount. Of course the dealer is a safe alternate plus with CPO you get a long warranty, but I hear you pay an extra $6-8K more than a private seller transaction.

I think maybe the dealer could be worth the peace of mind to buy from, though I am loathe to give the dealer such extra money, but the peace of mind is worth something.

My concern is not so much getting robbed with cash, because obviously it would be a check, but being sure the seller is legit and has clean title etc.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I was thinking about this, I have my mind to maybe buy a used Porsche 911 (maybe) and it could be more than twice that ammount. Of course the dealer is a safe alternate plus with CPO you get a long warranty, but I hear you pay an extra $6-8K more than a private seller transaction.
    I think maybe the dealer could be worth the peace of mind to buy from, though I am loathe to give the dealer such extra money, but the peace of mind is worth something.
    My concern is not so much getting robbed with cash, because obviously it would be a check, but being sure the seller is legit and has clean title etc.

Just ask seller for VIN and run a Car Fax and even police report. I understand MD is not Indiana...but from my experience, scammers don't really deal in Porsches.

#70 6 years ago

Although with a Porsche you're definitely gonna need that extended warranty.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Walleyefisher:

100% not true.

But go ahead and have CONfidence in your beliefs.....

#72 6 years ago

Pintard version 2 (resized).jpgPintard version 2 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Cars are MUCH different than pinball machines. There is no "Grand Theft Pinball". VINs are tracked via any number of services. There are titles that need to be transferred etc.

Above all, the if you are the buyer, your chances of getting ripped off with a bad check are nil. Your chances of getting a lemon etc. are still there. Buy Carfax or something similar. Do homework on forums. Don't get greedy and take the $5000 Porsche with 20000 miles on it. Pick it up in person. Get it looked at.

#74 6 years ago

I always ask for cash first. If that's not possible I'll settle for hookers and/or blow. PayPal is always the last option.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

If that's not possible I'll settle for hookers and/or blow.

I always try to get a blowjob from the actual guy buying the machine.

Just seems more personal that way.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I just sold a phone on ebay with paypal.
    Paypal fully refunded him his money without question, and I get a well used phone in worse condition than I sold it sent back to me, with zero ability to fight it.

So did PayPal withdraw the amount from your account? If so, I'd never use PayPal again knowing a customer can lie and still get their money back.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I always try to get a blowjob from the actual guy buying the machine.
    Just seems more personal that way.

I'll be right over.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from daveyb98126:

So did PayPal withdraw the amount from your account? If so, I'd never use PayPal again knowing a customer can lie and still get their money back.

It's been like this for more than 5 years. Luckily most buyers are honest but I still refuse to sell anything for more than a couple hundred in Paypal.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from daveyb98126:

Yep.

And if the your Paypal account is empty, they take it right out of your bank account.

...ask me why I don't have Paypal.

#80 6 years ago

Cash all day.

#81 6 years ago

Accepted paypal for a few games, no issues. These are all known pinside members...I wouldn't do it for some random person.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from daveyb98126:

No, what they do is put your account into negative balance. Then you have to manually add funds to your account in order to be able to use it again. Paypal is still very useful for small things, so I had to add money in order to make my paypal account useable again. Yeah they can lie and they do, it doesn't matter because paypal always sides with the buyer, in my case within 6 hours.

#83 6 years ago

I've done cash, escrow.com and PayPal. PayPal worked good and was all pinsider to pinsider and agree with the above wouldn't do it for eBay or a Craigslist deal.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep.
    And if the your Paypal account is empty, they take it right out of your bank account.
    ...ask me why I don't have Paypal.

What if you have no bank account tied to your paypal account or any attached bank account is at zero? How are they going to get the money then? Sue you? I suppose paypal can come back and screw with your credit...

#85 6 years ago

Cash on the glass, checks between friends.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

What if you have no bank account tied to your paypal account or any attached bank account is at zero? How are they going to get the money then? Sue you? I suppose paypal can come back and screw with your credit...

That's exactly what they do. They give you 30 days to pay then sell your debt to a collection agency. When you don't pay them (plus their fees) they destroy your credit rating.

SCUM is what PayPus are - just SCUM!

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-way-to-accept-payment-for-a-machine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.