(Topic ID: 287369)

Whats the best wax for playfields

By Jamesays

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E5E08F2A-24C6-4E35-BEB1-55B66CC5D86D (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

What Is the best wax product for playfields.I am surprised I havent been doing this

#7 3 years ago

From my experience, a Pinball Buddy mentioned to use Mothers Brazilian Wax.
    So I went to the box store and picked up a can of Mother's Paste Wax.
    I have a vintage metal playground slide which I first tried it on and told him
    that I didn't find it all that great..
    He asked and I told him Mother's Paste Wax. He said No! You have to use the
    liquid. So I applied the liquid, and the Kids left the slide air-born. I've been using
    the Mother's liquid on both the slide and playfields ever since..

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05750-California-Brazilian-Carnauba/dp/B0002U1TX0/ref=pd_di_sccai_6

#8 3 years ago

Don’t use liquid, too much petroleum distillates.

#10 3 years ago

question on all this. do you even need to wax for a clear coat newer game? everything i get told by cointaker, stern, chicago gaming...you don't need to wax. chicago gaming says to use novus 1 on the playfield.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This is what I use (pure carnauba - it smells great too): amazon.com link »

Technically it’s not “Pure”. If it was than it would be harder than concrete.

#13 3 years ago

No residue left over. Results are better if you don’t let it dry completely. Remove with Microfiber cloth.

E5E08F2A-24C6-4E35-BEB1-55B66CC5D86D (resized).jpegE5E08F2A-24C6-4E35-BEB1-55B66CC5D86D (resized).jpeg
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from happyclan:

this is my goto. amazon.com link »

This is what I use. No white junk left behind

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jrotten:

No residue left over. Results are better if you don’t let it dry completely. Remove with Microfiber cloth.

I use this on my cabinets and back boxes I’ve stenciled also. Really keeps them looking good and doesn’t take much time to do since u don’t let it dry.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Don’t use liquid, too much petroleum distillates.

For years I used just Mills Wax, and the past few, the Mothers Liquid.
    The only different effect has been longer lasting ball speed..
    Perhaps paste works better on playfields than on metal slides (haha),
    so might have to try the paste, but not discarding the liquid.
    Have to go with personal experience..

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

For years I used just Mills Wax, and the past few, the Mothers Liquid.
    The only different effect has been longer lasting ball speed..
    Perhaps paste works better on playfields than on metal slides (haha),
    so might have to try the paste, but not discarding the liquid.
    Have to go with personal experience..

Your games do what you want. Just warning as the potential is greater to harm/cloud your playfield and or plastics the more petroleum distillates there are.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

question on all this. do you even need to wax for a clear coat newer game? everything i get told by cointaker, stern, chicago gaming...you don't need to wax. chicago gaming says to use novus 1 on the playfield.

You don’t need to on a new game with a good quality clear coat in home use as long as you keep it clean. A lot of people are fanatical about waxing and will disagree.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

You don’t need to on a new game with a good quality clear coat in home use as long as you keep it clean. A lot of people are fanatical about waxing and will disagree.

that's what i thought. i find mills wax does a nice job cleaning. sometimes it leaves the grey specs you have to wipe off. but i don't see really any speed difference after doing it or other waxes. if there is, it doesn't last long. i've use the cleaner for bands also-that stuff takes off a LOT of direct on the rubber parts. it' surprising how much is one there.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

that's what i thought. i find mills wax does a nice job cleaning. sometimes it leaves the grey specs you have to wipe off. but i don't see really any speed difference after doing it or other waxes. if there is, it doesn't last long. i've use the cleaner for bands also-that stuff takes off a LOT of direct on the rubber parts. it' surprising how much is one there.

It's usually better for cleaning and waxing to be separate steps, so that you're not doing too much of one or the other.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Clearcoated playfields still develop ball trails after a while. The idea is that wax helps to protect the surface from wear.

1 year later
    #22 1 year ago

a topic I'd like to revive, at least for a few...I was doing some late-night research, and found that guitar wax called 'Gerlitz'..just wondering if any of you have used that for playfields..I'm sure some others on this page would work just as nice..I want to find the best bang/buck..and Gerlitz is less than 1/2 the price of some listed here, but it's a small can of it..(which is supposed to stretch pretty far, but still). I will not be using millwax...I'm stuck on carnauba paste wax..it's the best version/approach imo.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

a topic I'd like to revive, at least for a few...I was doing some late-night research, and found that guitar wax called 'Gerlitz'..just wondering if any of you have used that for playfields..I'm sure some others on this page would work just as nice..I want to find the best bang/buck..and Gerlitz is less than 1/2 the price of some listed here, but it's a small can of it..(which is supposed to stretch pretty far, but still). I will not be using millwax...I'm stuck on carnauba paste wax..it's the best version/approach imo.

Did you notice "& polish" in the product name? That usually indicates that it's not just wax.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you notice "& polish" in the product name? That usually indicates that it's not just wax.

most waxes are not pure these days..they either have patroleum disstilates, silicone, or some other synth in it..IDK MAN..if that's good for guitars, i doubt that would hurt a playfiled. But without trying it, I really don't know..just going off of some mates across the pond' that swear by it. Currently using Mcguires, and it's not high end by any means, but better than the formula 1 'Kit' wax I was using..but that wasn't bad either lol.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-wax-for-playfields?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.