(Topic ID: 29926)

Whats the best "rip the spinner" game of all time?

By Winball_Pizard

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

02009500_2901934 (resized).jpg
401689dfa8ce6314c5696ff7d5259e5a (resized).jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

JM's Spinner Millions.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

I also love the two spinners on Sorcerer w/lit 2500, or better yet during multiball...5000 up to 12,500. I think that is THE shot to get the top scores in Sorcerer.

Absolutely! That is the best scoring shot in the game. Hard to achieve that combination (achieve multi-ball, spell SORCERER, and then get to 5X) but when you do and you hit that spinner... it's AWESOME!

#53 7 years ago

I don't know....I always loved nailing the spinner on F-14 Tomcat.

#54 7 years ago

Yup, Paragon. I have the spinner greased with a secret lube. It wont stop...

#55 7 years ago

Nothing is better than ripping the spinner during bonesaw on SM. (Especially wth a kickin subwoofer)

#56 7 years ago

Sm is awesome when you have I jacked up to around 40-50k a spin with the 3X multiplier on it. I've had 1M plus spins.

Future SPA. The in lane drops are the main strategy for big points, but at 1K per, that spinner can rack up nice scores.

#57 7 years ago

Star Gazer. Honorable mention to Big Game and Paragon.

#58 7 years ago

Hokus Pokus. three of them, and the center one, f'ing flies!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Yup, Paragon. I have the spinner greased with a secret lube. It wont stop...

Interesting. So you gonna let that secret out?

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Yea Im thinking games where if you want to play the game competitively, for score, you rip the hell out of the spinner. Aztec is a good example

My friends and I like Voltan when the 1000 points are lit as you can increase score rapidly vs the 100 points regular but you have potential for hitting post and draining down the middle, great risk vs reward. Voltan has the spinners on each side of the playfield and the when lit rotates so more skill to plan your rip the spinner. Thanks for the question/post it brought back nice memories of enjoying pinball before all the money aspects were so important.

#61 7 years ago

For unbalanced scoring, Ice Fever. Lit spinner is worth 10,000. Everything else is ~100.

I also like the three spinners in Iron Man. Hitting the middle spinner for the Ironmonger Jackpot is very satisfying. Also worth 50,000,000 in the wizard mode.

#62 7 years ago

Gotta be Highspeed.

#64 7 years ago

I agree to a certain extent, but I believe normal tourney-use practice is to disable Super Spinner, so that kind of defeats the purpose of the thread. They knew it was so unbalanced scoring-wise BITD that the option to turn it off was added in one of the later code updates LOL.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

All Stern spinners need to be lubed as soon as the game comes out of the box. Once lubed, they scream.

Agree, when I got my AC/DC with the "Greased Lightning" spinners from Stern, the spinner actually was squeaky and grindy till I put some oil on it.

I actually like ripping the spinner on a good Family Guy.
I like a spinner with a good flasher too (when lit), Banzai Run comes to mind.

#66 7 years ago

I'm going to have to go with Gamatron.

Although I don't own the game, when I've played it over at Bill's house (Big12bus) it is a very satisfying shot. Especially when you can max it out.

I'm sure Pappy or Bill will chime agree.

#67 7 years ago

I also like the Krusty spinner on TSPP. Oh, what a day.

#68 7 years ago

I like my JM spinner but I love my Eight Ball spinner. The chimes are such a sweet sound to my ears. The spinner via the left flipper is so satisfying.

#69 7 years ago

Space Mission/Space Odyssey when left spinner is lit. What I like about this is that you have to be careful to make the spinner when you have managed to light it before you hit the center target or make the lit top lanes both of which turn off the lit spinner. Quite satisfying when you make it (especially with game on harder setting which leads to less frequent opportunities to light the spinner).

#70 7 years ago

Double post

#71 7 years ago

I love hitting the spinner on Flash when it's lit. Aztec is also great.

What do people use to lube spinners?

#72 7 years ago

Super lube, the teflon grease from Ace Hardware. Just a tiny amount and it'll spin forever.

#73 7 years ago
#74 7 years ago

Im trying to pick up a Grand Prix but the seller doesn't seem to have liked my offer

#75 7 years ago

The lit spinner shot on Black Knight is my favorite to this day, and has the best sound effect in pinball IMO, especially when you "wrap" the frequency over the top and it drops to the awesome low freq. "wha-wha-wha"! External powered sub rocks the house on that one!

Now I want to go make that shot RIGHT NOW!

#76 7 years ago

So I think we all agree here, that the spinner although very simple in design, and around for decades, is still one of the most satisfying targets to nail in pinball! That said, when the spinner on Gorgar is lit for 1000 pts. it is also an awesome spinner to rip one through

I also lube my spinners very lightly with very thin bicycle chain lube. I put the lube on a Qtip and just touch the axles slightly with the lube. It doesn't attract any dirt at all if applied sparingly. Sometimes the ball has already drained and the spinner is still flying!

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I really enjoy High Speed for the freeway RPM's. Very satisfying. Probably my favorite aspect of that game.

I really missed the spinners on Getaway HSII

#78 7 years ago

+1....great points and warp factor 9 mode

#79 7 years ago

Flash, once you get 3X bonus and 1000 when lit - the sweetest shot in pinball for me!

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I actually enjoy nailing the left loop Spinner on AC/DC during war machine. Great multi-fire gun like sound for each rotation + it drops guitars out of a bomber plane on the dmd. How cool is that?

Yeah, it's pretty damn cool! Great sound effects.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Sometimes the ball has already drained and the spinner is still flying!

Nice. Reminds me of the spinner bug on Spidey that was corrected, then inadvertently reintroduced later.

1. Enable Abort Animations All (a must for long ball games like SM)
2. Nail spinner to start Bonesaw
3. Quickly abort animations (hit both flippers)

If your spinner is properly lubed, it should still be spinning when you abort the animations to start the mode. Any spins while the ball is still in the saucer count towards the 100 switch hits you need to complete the mode. Because each revolution of the spinner counts for two switch hits on a newer Stern (1 open, 1 close), you can get 20 or more switch hits before the ball is even put back into play. Easy money.

Don't recall all the details, but it was 'fixed' at one point, then it came back. Abort animations (priceless) plays a part.

#82 7 years ago

Airborne Avenger - most people haven't played it but light spinner for 1000 , crush it for 30 spins, then repeat - I have mine setup with power ball in it - sot that baby spins forever

#83 7 years ago

I like spinners on EMs Its awesome when you hit the spinner and the score reels crank. Hokus Pokus is a good EM for spinners .

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Hands Down: Blackout

Orbit completed

#85 7 years ago

Glad someone mentioned Family guy, its a really important shot if you want to score big, lights modes, the "peter criss lois" is a must for that spinner too!

#86 7 years ago

Not super scoring but the spinners in NGG during the Hole in one challenge make a hell of a racket if you have a sub hooked up to the machine. Its great.

#88 7 years ago

in addition theres not much that feels better than slamming the STTNG spinner at 10 mill a spin. Star Gazer tho would have to be the ultimate. TX Sector is good fun as well.

#89 7 years ago

I gotta go with the machine I'm best at on this one. On Ship Ahoy / Buccaneer the spinner is the absolute focus of play. Not only does it score big, it also lights up numbers in the 1-11 sequence, and it is the only practical way to get the ball back up to the top of the playfield.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

All Stern spinners need to be lubed as soon as the game comes out of the box. Once lubed, they scream.

Man, thanks for the heads up. My Zeus spinner (R orbit on Tron) always seemed to stop or slow down well hit balls. After lightly oiling, the spinners rock now. I guess 3x spinner value isn't too bad after all. Flow is much improved.

#91 7 years ago

Sorcerer and Gorgar are both pretty satisfiying

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Kaytrox:

I gotta go with the machine I'm best at on this one. On Ship Ahoy / Buccaneer the spinner is the absolute focus of play. Not only does it score big, it also lights up numbers in the 1-11 sequence, and it is the only practical way to get the ball back up to the top of the playfield.

Now I have to take it all back! Actually, since the spinner only spots a number when it has finished spinning, you really don't want to 'rip' it! You want to hit it lightly, so that it stops as soon as possible, EXCEPT when you have the sequence complete, and the 'WOW" lit up! Then you really want to rip it!

#93 7 years ago

After watching the videos for Grand Prix, yep, that game rocks the spinner Far superior than Seawitch and Gorgar...though I could nail Gorgar pretty consistently and when you do manage to hit Seawitch, it's rewarding...but it is not every game.

#94 7 years ago

I just passed on a local Grand Prix....Maybe I should re-look at it

#95 7 years ago

Flight 2000, Cheetah, Meteor, Cannes or Monico, JM, STTNG, Xenon, and Grand Prix.

4 years later
#96 2 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

in addition theres not much that feels better than slamming the STTNG spinner at 10 mill a spin. Star Gazer tho would have to be the ultimate. TX Sector is good fun as well.

Old thread but I'd like to throw my two cents out there...Spinners are underrated. A new game that's mostly spinner based could be a blast.
TX-Sector is all spinner, surprised it wasn't mentioned more in this thread.

#97 2 years ago

Bally's Kiss, nothing like that red tongue flipping back at you

#98 2 years ago

Hobbit loop spinners. Advances to Erebor giving mode bonuses and activates a 60 second super spinner mode with jackpot cashed in at the captive ball.
Also each spin counts as a switch hit, so it can make the shots in certain modes worth a huge value, like increasing the feast frenzy target amounts or pumping up the shot value in Resurgence of Sauron mode.

#99 2 years ago

It's Grand Prix. I don't own the game any longer but I still concede the greatness of it's spinners as the best.

#100 2 years ago

Star Gazer. Especially when you get all 3 spinners humming at the same time if you have your spinners well tweaked and oiled properly. It's a thing of beauty when achieved. =)

Dave (Doc)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 25.00
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Round Rock, TX
$ 9.99
Various Other Swag
Circus Maximus
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 22.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
$ 9.99
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield, MN
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside