New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 72679)

What's the best Pinball convention/ event in the near future?

By MK6PIN

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mrjamma
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

My Brother and I decided our Christmas present to each other was hopping on a Plane and attending the next badass Pinball Expo, show, etc., whenever, wherever that might be. Can anyone point us in the right direction, give some ideas? I've never been to one, and I'm stoked........thanks all.......mark

#2 6 years ago

Pin-a-go-go. Northern CA, in May. It's kinda in the middle of nowhere, but save some money, fly into Sacramento, and rent a car. Then you can add visits to Pacific Pinball Museum, Playland-not-at-the-Beach, Free Gold Watch, and perhaps any or all of the other Bay Area pinball hot spots.

#3 6 years ago

Both Louisville Expo and Texas Pinfest are in March

#4 6 years ago

Texas Pinball Festival in Dallas!

#5 6 years ago

What could be better than South Florida in February? Tons of games and a great tournament.

http://www.floridaape.org/

#6 6 years ago

http://pinballcircus.com/

http://www.texaspinball.com/ Texas where everything is bigger

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/ Gamers add a level of excitement that is unbelievable

http://pinballexpo.net/ 30th Anniversary next year - you don't want to miss it.

And there was talk of a Expo/JJP show next Summer, keep an eye out for that.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Pin-a-go-go. Northern CA, in May. It's kinda in the middle of nowhere, but save some money, fly into Sacramento, and by Discount Buddy" id="_GPLITA_0" style="background: none !important; margin: 0px !important; padding: 0px !important; border: currentColor !important; border-image: none !important !important; width: auto !important; height: auto !important; text-decoration: underline !important; vertical-align: baseline !important; float: none !important; display: inline !important; min-height: 0px !important; min-width: 0px !important;" href="#" in_rurl="http://i.txtsrving.info/click?v=VVM6MzM5NDA6MTMwNDpyZW50IGEgY2FyOjE3YjhmZjMxMjAyNzk0NGJlMmYzMDg0ODE5MmEyODVjOnotMTQ4NC0xNzQ3Mjc6cGluc2lkZS5jb206MzQxOTU6NGJlMzQ1ZmZlZDRiYzIwMDRjOWM5MTJiNjdiN2M2ZjQ6NjQ2YzFlZWZkMGQ3NDlhZDg3MDZiNGQyN2M2Y2I3MDY">rent a car. Then you can add visits to Pacific Pinball Museum, Playland-not-at-the-Beach, Free Gold Watch, and perhaps any or all of the other Bay Area pinball hot spots.

and the jelly belly factory. see you at pagg.

#8 6 years ago

Man...TPF looking good.....Lloyd, is JJP going to be there?

#9 6 years ago

TPF (Texas Pinball Festival) at the end of March is amazing with over 400 machines.

#10 6 years ago

REALLY REALLY trying to get to TPF this year. that's all I asked for for xmas.

and I may be slightly biased but there's a good one coming down the road not too far from you...

http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com

#11 6 years ago

Pinburgh same dates as tpf. IF you are a player pinburgh hands
    down.

#12 6 years ago

You would be extremely happy with the Texas Pinball Festival. 400 machines! Pure pinball ecstasy! March 28th-30th

http://www.texaspinball.com/

#13 6 years ago

We went to TPF last year and loved it. Huge number of games to play, really nice weather for that time of year (for us). Will totally do that again.

#14 6 years ago

TPF hands down. Of course, I'm a bit biased

Ken

#15 6 years ago

Texas Pinball Festival.

No contest.

#16 6 years ago

Sensing a trend here...and March is oh so close.......

#17 6 years ago

Except, I worry about the auction......may have to bring a truck.....

#18 6 years ago

I vote MGC over anything else but then again, aside from pinball why would anyone ever go to texas voluntarily?

Sorry texas guys, my wife grew up there and the inlaws still live there but WI is where the love is.

TPF sounds like a good time, but due to proximity to MGC each year I will be unlikely to attend.

MK6PIN >> what feature do you look for in a festival? If you are mostly interested in just playing then I suggest you save the most amount of cash and go to Pinburgh instead. More better playing games and am amazing place to see.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote MGC over anything else but then again, aside from pinball why would anyone ever go to texas voluntarily?
    Sorry texas guys, my wife grew up there and the inlaws still live there but WI is where the love is.
    TPF sounds like a good time, but due to proximity to MGC each year I will be unlikely to attend.
    MK6PIN >> what feature do you look for in a festival? If you are mostly interested in just playing then I suggest you save the most amount of cash and go to Pinburgh instead. More better playing games and am amazing place to see.

Whysnow---- I don't know actually......always have to go to damn trade show every year for work ( Infocomm), and just want to play a million pins, and have a great time......

#20 6 years ago

If you're going to compete, Pinburgh is the largest pinball tournament in the world and offers a very unique experience. If you are not going to compete, please keep in mind we use over 200 games in that particular tournament, and so the practice bank at PAPAhq is not nearly as large as in August, when we only use 65.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

If you're going to compete, Pinburgh is the largest pinball tournament in the world and offers a very unique experience. If you are not going to compete, please keep in mind we use over 200 games in that particular tournament, and so the practice bank at PAPAhq is not nearly as large as in August, when we only use 65.

Thanks for chiming in with details. Pinburgh still provides the opportunity to play a good chunk of the games during the competitive rounds, correct?

#22 6 years ago

Pin a Go Go!!!!

#23 6 years ago

Pin a go go is a first
    Then Texas Pinball Festival

#24 6 years ago

Pin a Go Go is a great show.
    Texas Pinball Festival = HUGE
    I would still fly in just for this show if I ever moved out of Texas. Allentown show seems more to my liking because they seem to have more EM machines at their shows.

#25 6 years ago

Texas Pinball Festival then Rocky Mountain Showdown

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from joelreeves:

REALLY REALLY trying to get to TPF this year. that's all I asked for for xmas.
    and I may be slightly biased but there's a good one coming down the road not too far from you...
    http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com

You should definitely come to the Southern Fried Gameroom expo. Ill even buy you some beers.

#27 6 years ago

I want them all!

Texas this year. Rooms booked!

#28 6 years ago

We are very lucky in Texas to have such a large collector's base. TPF is truly a community show. "It takes a village to put on a great pinball show" (I think that's what Hillary meant to say). When you hear TPF regulars and exhibitors talking to others, they will refer to TPF as "our show". Of course Texan's are some of the nicest people there are... unless you upset us, then we'll just drag you out back for a good 'ol fashioned ass kickin, dust you off, and bring you back inside for a beer
    But seriously, a pinball show can only be as good as it's local pinball community allows. Texas and it's surrounding states have an incredible group of collectors and volunteers that make TPF happen. So THANK YOU!
    TPF 2014 is shaping up to be the best one yet!
    http://www.texaspinball.com

#30 6 years ago

TPF. I've been to the last two. Amazing number of games to play.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Pin a Go Go!!!!

looking forward to you making it to pagg this year kwiki.

#32 6 years ago

I wish I have a private jet and went to every convention and I'm able to give you an answer. The only thing I can tell you is, I never went to a bad one.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tony01:

I wish I have a private jet and went to every convention and I'm able to give you an answer. The only thing I can tell you is, I never went to a bad one.

Awesome response.....TPF is looking very good......

#34 6 years ago

I always wanted to go to TPF but running the 500 mile CHP gauntlet to PAGG is bad enough, I wouldn't want to attempt a run through Texas with Cali plates.
    A man's gotta know his limitations.

#35 6 years ago

So if it comes down to choosing to visit Texas or spending time in Northern California, near the Bay Area, which would you choose? We know Texans like to brag, but we Californians really know which is the bigger, better state.

#36 6 years ago

TPF.....
    Two airports (check)
    Plenty of cheap airlines (check)
    Room Block at the Embassy Suites (very affordable) (check)
    Plenty of places for food and entertainment. There is a HUGE mall across the street with an AMC IMAX movie theater, Cheesecake Factory, Dave and Busters etc. (check)
    Family friendly area of town (check)
    FREE Parking!!! (Yay!) (CHECK)
    Steve Ritchie, John Borg, Roger Sharpe (check)
    A raffle for a brand new Stern pinball (main prize) and other pinball related prizes, with all proceeds this year going to the "Wounded Warrior Project" (I love that they are doing this!)(check)
    40,000 sq ft of convention space!!! (check)
    400+ pinball games!! (check)
    New this year....A Sotheby's type auction on 100 working games!

What more could you want? Seriously? I don't care what state this show was in, I would be buying a cheap ticket, rent a cheap car or get a shuttle from the airport to the show. Need cheap food? They are surrounded by fast food places all the way up to fancy places to eat. I have been going to the TPF since 2008 and all I can say is Ed in TX has really, really, really outdone himself this year! Frisco is Utopia! Perfect, I mean perfect suburb of DFW to pull this off each year. Come on guys you have close to 4 more months to plan ahead and be here.

On a personal note...I lived in San Diego, CA. for 12 years prior to Dallas and I still consider myself a Californian at heart. I am overdue to go too PAGG. I haven't been to PAGG since 2001.

#37 6 years ago

You do need to revisit PAGG. It was quote large last year...yet at the same time it is still small enough to not get overwhelming, and still has very much a mellow vibe. Sure it doesnt have an all star line up of speakers, workshops, etc. Maybe that is because so many people go simply to play, to admire well kept games, and to socialize with each other. Sure there is a tourney too, and you just might get to see a high ranking, recent champ play. The Bay Area has a couple champs in its ranks. And of course its for a good cause.

As for cheap flights, hotels, etc...since it is in Dixon, he has the option of flying into Sacramento, or Oakland, rather than SFO(one of the most expensive airports in the US) There are some cheap local hotels to stay at and use as a base camp.
    As someone mentioned, the Jelly Belly factory is near by, and that is better than a trip to Disney. Not to mention all the pinball destinations in the Bay.

Come on, does Texas have the Pacific? the Golden Gate? the Haight, wherthis ee Gold Watch is? Wine country? Redwoods? Highway 1? a plethora of open minded, democratic-leaning, peace loving beatniks? Heck, even tho Sacramento is a bit of a cow town, its not a bad place for a day visit either.

Of course I am stirring the pot, simply because I can
    Tho, thanks to this thread, I will have to look into the Texas show.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

It also has the distinct advantage of not being in Texas.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

You do need to revisit PAGG. It was quote large last year...yet at the same time it is still small enough to not get overwhelming, and still has very much a mellow vibe. Sure it doesnt have an all star line up of speakers, workshops, etc. Maybe that is because so many people go simply to play, to admire well kept games, and to socialize with each other. Sure there is a tourney too, and you just might get to see a high ranking, recent champ play. The Bay Area has a couple champs in its ranks. And of course its for a good cause.
    As for cheap flights, hotels, etc...since it is in Dixon, he has the option of flying into Sacramento, or Oakland, rather than SFO(one of the most expensive airports in the US) There are some cheap local hotels to stay at and use as a base camp.
    As someone mentioned, the Jelly Belly factory is near by, and that is better than a trip to Disney. Not to mention all the pinball destinations in the Bay.
    Come on, does Texas have the Pacific? the Golden Gate? the Haight, wherthis ee Gold Watch is? Wine country? Redwoods? Highway 1? a plethora of open minded, democratic-leaning, peace loving beatniks? Heck, even tho Sacramento is a bit of a cow town, its not a bad place for a day visit either.
    Of course I am stirring the pot, simply because I can
    Tho, thanks to this thread, I will have to look into the Texas show.

What happened to PPE this year? Was there no alternative venue to be had now that Marin a Civic is out? What about the Cow Palace?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

TPF.....
    Two airports (check)
    Plenty of cheap airlines (check)
    Room Block at the Embassy Suites (very affordable) (check)
    Plenty of places for food and entertainment. There is a HUGE mall across the street with an AMC IMAX movie theater, Cheesecake Factory, Dave and Busters etc. (check)
    Family friendly area of town (check)
    FREE Parking!!! (Yay!) (CHECK)
    Steve Ritchie, John Borg, Roger Sharpe (check)
    A raffle for a brand new Stern pinball (main prize) and other pinball related prizes, with all proceeds this year going to the "Wounded Warrior Project" (I love that they are doing this!)(check)
    40,000 sq ft of convention space!!! (check)
    400+ pinball games!! (check)
    New this year....A Sotheby's type auction on 100 working games!
    What more could you want? Seriously? I don't care what state this show was in, I would be buying a cheap ticket, rent a cheap car or get a shuttle from the airport to the show. Need cheap food? They are surrounded by fast food places all the way up to fancy places to eat. I have been going to the TPF since 2008 and all I can say is Ed in TX has really, really, really outdone himself this year! Frisco is Utopia! Perfect, I mean perfect suburb of DFW to pull this off each year. Come on guys you have close to 4 more months to plan ahead and be here.
    On a personal note...I lived in San Diego, CA. for 12 years prior to Dallas and I still consider myself a Californian at heart. I am overdue to go too PAGG. I haven't been to PAGG since 2001.

You actually talked me into it. But I'm competing at Pinburgh.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

No way I'm competing...just want to see and play as many machines I've never had a chance to play. Want to see all the latest, greatest toys, and man, the Auction should do it for me....I'll be flying, but I'm sure there will be a way to get something I find and can't live without back home.....

#43 6 years ago

Someone else on here might be able to provide a better, more accurate answer to why there was no PPE. I know some folks on here have close ties to PPM. I am sure that the cost of convention space in the Bay Area was a big factor. But it was my understanding the musuem was hoping to be in a much larger, more permanent space where they could show off most of the collection all the time so a show, and its associated costs and headaches of moving the collection wouldn't be needed.

The permanent space they had high hopes on getting into as of last year, when they declared there wouldn't be a PPE this year, seems to have fallen off the radar. They were talking of moving the musuem to SF, but now it seems they are looking to stay in Alameda, and possibly move into an old Carnegie library building.

I have yet to hear any gossip of PPE returning. My guess is the current focus of the musuem is finding a bigger, more permanent home.

#44 6 years ago

I'm very strongly looking at attending the Midwest Gaming Classic as a vendor, so this is great timing for the discussion to pop up.

-Hans

#45 6 years ago

I vote TPF but I'm biased. I've been a vendor there since I think 2008. The show has always been a good show but I've seen it make remarkable improvements since 2011 that have turned it into an exceptional show that really is not to be missed. See everybody in Texas in March 2014!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

looking forward to you making it to pagg this year kwiki.

I hope so too.

#48 6 years ago

The Pacific Pinball Museum, which hosts the Pacific Pinball Expo, has decided that doing shows isn't really helping their effort to find and fund a private museum. The time and energy involved doesn't justify the money they take in from vendors and door entries. They really want a real home, which they have now found. PPM made an agreement with the city to get the Carnegie library for a 30 year no cost lease. So their efforts are now on (getting money to) upgrade that facility so they can move in, opposed to running a pinball show. And since now all the machines have a permanent home, there's no need to have a "show" once a year. So unfortunately the PPE thing in it's old state will never happen again. Details of the new Carnegie facility are on their web site http://pacificpinball.org/articles/carnegie-campaign The down side to this is the building needs serious upgrades, which will cost millions of dollars. And PPM has a limited amount of time (two years i believe) to raise the money for this, or potentially lose their 30 year no cost lease. After the money is raised then of course they have to implement those updates, which will take time too.

#49 6 years ago

Really no need to post this anymore, but the Texas Pinball Festival is the bomb.
    Hundreds of free pins to play, pinball parts everywhere, an awesome tourney area, a chance to win a new Stern, new friends to be made every day and even some great pins to purchase.
    Go ahead and take a chance in the tournament. You never know. My son and I competed last year.
    He ended up third place in "A Division". And I ended up First place in "C Division"
    We had the time of our lives and can't wait to do it all over again.

#50 6 years ago

Arcade, bring your EMs this year. I need something to play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 199.99
    $ 4.95
    $ 9.99
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 7,299.00
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside