(Topic ID: 148025)

What's the best microfiber for PF glass period!!!

By MK6PIN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by fuseholder
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I was amazed when I bought some new mf cloths from an unnamed auto store, only to find that it left fine " micro fibers" almost embedded in my PDI glass ( it has the optical coating, and you can really tell).....anyway, after getting over being majorly pissed, I went through some of my old cloths, and found a " quilted" version that cleaned awesome, and made the glass disappear again.

It's been covered before ( I'm sure)...but I'm looking for the best brand of microfiber for glass, and where to buy it ( specifically).....all microfiber not created equal, and I want to put a nail in this necessary cleaning cloth, once and for all. Please advise....thanks...Mark ( and if you PDI guys are using something special, please share)....

#2 8 years ago

I normally use 3M products. There are others out there that are cheaper but 3M always puts out a good product.

#3 8 years ago

Bump....any other ideas? I do like 3m stuff!!!

#4 8 years ago

One thing I would recommend is to wash your micro fibers before using them to clean anything. It will help a lot with "lint" your experiencing now. I usually buy the cheap ones from Costco. They do the job well

#5 8 years ago

I just use paper towels. Wipe it with a wet one and then a dry one. But this is invisiglass, not PDI.

#7 8 years ago

I saw an owner at an arcade using restaurant sized coffee filters, ive always meant to try them but havent yet

#8 8 years ago

Griot's Garage has two specific glass cleaning microfiber towels. Both work great and leave nothing behind.

#9 8 years ago

Norwex makes the most amazing microfiber cloth stuff ever.
    It is not cheap, but really, really works. They have microfiber cloth desined just for glass. You dont need any cleaners with them, just a little water and it get completly clean with no streaks. I have never used it on PDI, but their cloths have a very tight weave and feel very different to cheap microfiber cloths.
    PS- never wash you microfiber stuff with dryer/ fabric softner sheets, it ruins them.

#10 8 years ago

Not sure about PDI but I would ask camera enthusiasts what they use whenever they run out of lens paper.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Griot's Garage has two specific glass cleaning microfiber towels. Both work great and leave nothing behind.

Quoted from ryan1234:

It is not cheap, but really, really works. They have microfiber cloth desined just for glass. You dont need any cleaners with them, just a little water and it get completly clean with no streaks. I have never used it on PDI, but their cloths have a very tight weave and feel very different to cheap microfiber cloths.
    PS- never wash you microfiber stuff with dryer/ fabric softner sheets, it ruins them.

Thanks for heads up...I'll find out where to buy these....

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Grnrzr:

One thing I would recommend is to wash your micro fibers before using them to clean anything. It will help a lot with "lint" your experiencing now. I usually buy the cheap ones from Costco. They do the job well

Oddly, I find they end up degrading in caliber after I wash them.

It's hard to describe...not lint per say, but the cheap MF cloth seems to actually create a "smudgy" feel on the PDI ( not smooth, mirror like) and leaves a very tiny layer of "fabric film" which attaches to the coating on the glass (only happens w PDI, not invisiglass)

Used my good cloth and it cleaned up to total transparency (and then some...I really like how the PDI actually seems to enhance colors through my eyes).

#13 8 years ago

Go to Griotsgarage.com

Look at the microfiber cloths. Also note their use & care instructions. Hot water wash with detergent. They sell a special microfiber cleaner which I add to detergent( I use alot of their microfiber towels for various car cleaning tasks ), NO fabric softener or bleach of ANY kind.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

2nd the Norwex. I still give the wife hell about what she paid for the stuff, then she gives me it right back everytime i ask her for it so that i can clean the pin glass. Best stuff i have ever seen and im not one that likes to endorse brands

#15 8 years ago

My wife gave me some e-cloth branded microfiber glass cleaning cloths and I will never go back to Windex and paper towels for cleaning ANY glass. Never noticed any lint but I have regular glass. All you need is hot water to clean glass!

http://www.ecloth.com/

#16 8 years ago

The Griotsgarage and Norwex look very appealing....I'm going to try them both and see what works best for me...I forgot how good the PDI looked until after I was able to clean it properly.....man, if non pin people only realized how much work there is and attention to detail required....oh wait...it wouldn't make them join...probably run away...

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

2nd the Norwex.

I see a few people have mentioned Norwex. Can someone identify which specific Norwex product(s) they use?

I have a WOZ and we just had a fair amount of rehab done in our house. I have mounds of drywall dust everywhere, including my WOZ topglass (even though the room was shut the entire time).

#18 8 years ago

Norwex gets my vote too. More expensive, but they really do work great and don't leave any lint/fibers behind. They won't wear down the coatings on optical glasses such as PDI, and they also do a good job with clear plastic parts like ramps.

These are the ones we use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EG0G06S

These dusting mitts are great too: http://www.amazon.com/Norwex-Microfiber-Dusting-Mitt/dp/B003F8LB8E/ref=pd_sim_201_3

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-microfiber-for-pf-glass-period and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.