New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 115294)

What's the best game for around $1,000

By dmieczko

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Black%20Hole%20-%20%20Ball%20View%20and%20Back%20Glass%203JPG.jpg
loft1.jpg
00F0F_lUnUgaKGwpL_600x450.jpg
alien_poker_pin.jpg

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I have a friend who is ready to enter the pinball hobby with a $1,000 (approx.) budget for his first pin. I have already given him my advice, but looking for other ideas. He does enjoy depth, multi-ball, and multiple flippers. Any advice? Dave

Update with the current list of the best thousand dollar games (in alphabetical order):

Alien Poker
Atlantis
Barracora
Baywatch
Big Guns
Big Hurt
Black Hole
Black Knight
Breakshot
Centaur II
Comet
Escape from the Lost World
F-14
Fire
Fire Power
Flash
Flash Gordon
Gladiators
Grand Lizard
High Speed
Joker Poker
Jokerz
Laser Cue
Lethal Weapon 3
Lights Camera Action
Mars Trek
Meteor
Operation Thunder
Paragon
Pin-Bot
Road Kings
Roller Games
Shaq Attaq
Sorcerer
Space Invaders
Space Shuttle
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter II
Taxi
Tee'd Off
Waterworld
Wipe Out

#2 5 years ago

F-14 gets my vote

#4 5 years ago

F-14
Big Guns
The Gottlieb Stuff (rescue 911/Waterworld/Cue Ball Wizard) - people seem to be trying to get higher prices for these games lately but I'm not sure if they are having any luck.

#5 5 years ago

Sorcerer. Not a lot of depth but fun as heck. You're not going to find a lot of depth for under $1000

#6 5 years ago

seems a solid buy!
PIN*BOT
cleveland.craigslist.org link

#8 5 years ago

He can buy my escapr from the lost world. I know you love that game and I'm thinking of moving mine for more room at the sanctum. Few new things coming in soon.

-Jim

#9 5 years ago

Alien Poker, Meteor.
Firepower, Barracora.

#10 5 years ago

Bally Atlantis!

Still amazed that they sell for under 1k in nice condition often. Really great game with good challenge and fun shots.

#11 5 years ago

Jim, I already tried him on EFTLW, but he wanted a bit more depth. Would love to find a $1K PinBot around here - that might work.

#12 5 years ago

If he wants depth he should go for Gottlieb System 3.

Around that price point that's really his only option for anything close to the "modern" pinball experience.

#13 5 years ago

I would say Tee'd Off is the best bang for the buck that you could still possibly find for 1k. Granted ANY dmd for 1k is pretty lucky currently to find.

#14 5 years ago

Lethal Weapon 3 pretty much fits the bill minus the multiple flippers..... You should be able to find a decent example/plug and play at the 1k mark. The theme is hit or miss for a lot of people, but DE made a ton of them, and the game is pretty much a straight rip of T2, which was very popular for Williams as well.

It is getting harder to find system 3s under 1k, just like anything with a DMD, but just the sheer QTY of LW3 out there keeps the price down.

#15 5 years ago

Tales from the Crypt.
Used to be able to find The Shadow, Who Dunnit, and Dirty Harry for that back in the day.

#16 5 years ago

Black Knight maybe, if lucky.

#18 5 years ago

In the $1000 range, system 11 has the best BFYB. Does "Multiple flippers" mean more than 2?

#19 5 years ago

Rollergames should also be on the list. Typically a bit more than 1k but players can be found in the range.

#20 5 years ago

System 11s, including Bally Atlantis.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

System 11s, including Bally Atlantis.

Technically a 6803 with sys11 sound board I think, but plays like sys11 for sure.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Tales from the Crypt.
Used to be able to find The Shadow, WHO dunnit, and Dirty Harry for that back in the day.

Never seen a TFTC for a grand. A few years ago I saw one for around $1400 out here. It needed a lot of work too, I think it was missing a board.

#23 5 years ago

yep that was the

Quoted from wayout440:Never seen a TFTC for a grand. A few years ago I saw one for around $1400 out here. It needed a lot of work too, I think it was missing a board.

yep best deal I saw on one too in a long time!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Technically a 4083 with sys11 sound board I think, but plays like sys11 for sure.

Actually a 6803, but yes that is what I meant, for a Bally game it has the Sys 11 feel. Great sounds and gameplay that really stays fresh. Out of any in my collection, the F-14 Tomcat is the only one that tends to feel a bit stale at times after you have played the crap out of it. Taxi, Pinbot and Atlantis have a bit more going on, IMO

#25 5 years ago

lol, damn dislexia and cant type. Yes, 6803.

#26 5 years ago

Thanks guys - there were a few games here I had not considered. Adding my thoughts to the "best game for $1,000 list" and taking off the games that cost way more than $1,000 today - here's what we have so far...

List moved to the first post of this thread...

Thanks for the help guys - we'll go through the list, and hopefully be ready to purchase soon - local to CT...

#27 5 years ago

add Tee'd Off and Gladiators and maybe Operation Thnder.

All great Gottliebs that can still be found close to 1k and all have extra flippers.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

add Tee'd Off and Gladiators and maybe Operation Thnder.

All great Gottliebs that can still be found close to 1k and all have extra flippers.

Done, thanks again!

#29 5 years ago

Tron LE if you wait for the remake (joke, and a bad one at that).

For $1000, I'd look for space shuttle or firepower.

#30 5 years ago

I would add Fire to the list but that may fall between $1k-$1500?

#31 5 years ago

Oh yes, Space shuttle is a GREAT 1st timers game for 1kish!

#32 5 years ago

Road kings....you can get a real nice one AND have some money left over.....can't be too picky with only a grand...............Joey

#33 5 years ago

Taxi is a great game in that price range.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

taxi is not a $1000 game.

#35 5 years ago

A restored or nice 1 isn't. I recently purchased a player for 1k.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

A restored or nice 1 isn't. I recently purchased a player for 1k.

i'll take five of them at $1000 each and i have buyers for 4 of the 5 right now. $1000 for a players game is not very easily done nowadays. Your success story does not mean that's the market for a game.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

taxi is not a $1000 game.

it should be

#38 5 years ago

Big Hurt or F-14 would be my picks

#39 5 years ago

These only have two flippers (if that makes a difference):

Atlantis
Pinbot
Jokerz
Firepower
Barracora
LW3

And of the Gottlieb Sys3 pinball games, 16 of 27 came with three or more flippers (not counting redemption games, S&S and CC).

viperrwk

#40 5 years ago

YEah firepower is loaded w fun for the price!

#41 5 years ago

I love Alien Poker....and its a sub $1k game. Great theme, great artwork, speech, and some killer shots.

alien_poker_pin.jpg
#42 5 years ago

you post that in every taxi thread. everyone knows you want one. i spose someone will sell you a $1000 taxi if you're willing to sell them your whitewater for $1800. That was the price on those until a few years ago, so you must be willing to go that low in return, right?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Tales from the Crypt.
Used to be able to find The Shadow, WHO dunnit, and Dirty Harry for that back in the day.

You're on crack.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

You're also on crack.

#45 5 years ago

How about Breakshot? I love mine Three flippers, multi-ball, inexpensive...etc.

#46 5 years ago

The best $1K pin is the $2K to $5K pin listed on CL for $1K. Doesn't happen as often as it used to and got to be quick and willing to put up with a lot of frustration. See Cheap Bastards Club.....

#47 5 years ago

Better take your friend to a nearby pinball show. At least then you two can play a few different games and see what appeals to them.
Also, I wouldn't recommend Alien Poker at all. Just ignore that it's on my wish list

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're on crack.

You should come share some with me.
My pinball finds have been nothing short of amazing.
And you should note I said back in the day. Much harder to find them for that today.

#49 5 years ago

Technically you said: "Used to be able to find The Shadow, WHO dunnit, and Dirty Harry for that back in the day."

You didn't say TFTC.

Regardless, just because someone finds a pin for a couple hundred bucks from some old lady, etc., doesn't mean that's what the going rate is.

$1000 for a TFTC is not happening anytime soon.

#50 5 years ago

Almost all of these games in good condition easily go over $1000.

Advice: have a much as possible more than $1000.00 available for the first pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside