(Topic ID: 49938)

What's the best freeze spray to use on Mylar?

By Choggard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rs812
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

If you could send me a link I'd appreciate it.. Thanks in advance..

#2 10 years ago

Any canned air that does not have a bitterant added to it.

#3 10 years ago

I used dry ice and I like it better than freeze spray.

#4 10 years ago

Yep, even those buy 2 get 1 few cans of compressed air at Staples will work.

I'm in the heat gun camp. Freeze can be fast to tear the Mylar off but leaves ALL the glue behind and so you make it up on the clean up.

#5 10 years ago

I've had the freeze method pull up chunks of paint with it. Use a hair dryer instead. Never lost paint with a hairdryer

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Yep, even those buy 2 get 1 few cans of compressed air at Staples will work.
    I'm in the heat gun camp. Freeze can be fast to tear the Mylar off but leaves ALL the glue behind and so you make it up on the clean up.

+1 heat gun. Cheaper than buying cans, softens the glue (getting the plastic off is always the easy part regardless if you use freeze or heat)

#7 10 years ago

When using a hair dryer, how hot do you need to get it? Does the mylar just basically slide right off?

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from flashburn:

Does the mylar just basically slide right off?

Hahaha - you wish!!!

#9 10 years ago

Hardest part is getting a corner to lift, then start with needle-nose pliers so you don't melt your hand. Then just pull vertical but not enough to pull the Mylar off while moving the gun back and forth on the face near where its lifting. Top to bottom? Hmm 15 mins?

#10 10 years ago

Saw a video using the heat gun, it still leaves all of the glue behind, so I'm not really sure the benefit (other than not having to buy cans of compressed air, that's nice).

#11 10 years ago

Really a heat gun? I've used a heat gun for decals, but not mylar. I'll have to try that.. What do you guys use to get the glue off?

#12 10 years ago

freeze spray for mylar, then goo-gone and flour trick for the sticky left behind.

Has worked for me on 4 pfs already and no issues but I have only done 90 or later games

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

freeze spray for mylar, then goo-gone and flour trick for the sticky left behind.
    Has worked for me on 4 pfs already and no issues but I have only done 90 or later games

Thanks -Yeah I want to do my FH and put new decals on it.. Do you use a plastic razor blade?

#14 10 years ago

The only use I have had for a plastic razor blade it to maybe help get an edge of the mylar lifted. Freeze spray with them seperate the sticky form the plastic sheet very easy.

Goo-gone goes all over the sticky. Wait a few minutes for it to loosen up, then sprinkle some flour at the edge and start rolling it up/into the sticky with your fingers. If you have let the goo-gone do it job then a little elbow grease and your hands should be all you need. The little flour/sticky worms will be the by product. Then clean up with naptha for any remaining residue (could use high grade rubbing alcohol also).

There are some other threads with pics >> I think search "flour mylar" and you will find them.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The only use I have had for a plastic razor blade it to maybe help get an edge of the mylar lifted. Freeze spray with them seperate the sticky form the plastic sheet very easy.
    Goo-gone goes all over the sticky. Wait a few minutes for it to loosen up, then sprinkle some flour at the edge and start rolling it up/into the sticky with your fingers. If you have let the goo-gone do it job then a little elbow grease and your hands should be all you need. The little flour/sticky worms will be the by product. Then clean up with naptha for any remaining residue (could use high grade rubbing alcohol also).
    There are some other threads with pics >> I think search "flour mylar" and you will find them.

Thanks, I have to say that flour sounds like a mess...

#16 10 years ago

Just use a small amount and start at one spot and work your way forward into the sticky. Add more flour as needed. A whole area wil only use a tablespoon or maybe 2...

You will see how easy it is once you do it. The stiky turns the flour into odd little balls of dried goo and flour as you go and is easy to clean up.

side note> I have never seen goo-gone effect a pf, but like all chemicals you should test in a small spot first

#17 10 years ago

yes... use GOO GONE ( orange oil based), NOT GOOF OFF ( harsher chemical based). 2 completely different products so don't get them mixed up by the similarities in the product NAME. GOOF OFF will dull plastic

#18 10 years ago

I should have took pictures of my last removal. I use a hard guitar pick for initial 'plowing' then a credit card for the second pass.

I use a LOT of flour. It keep the Goo Gone from running and evaporating and provides something for the glue to transfer onto (as opposed to just sliding around the playfield.

I use a shaker to spread the flour and just pile the combined mess toward the center of the field. Then just scoop up the mess and toss in nearby trash.

#19 10 years ago

I videoed this, it has worked on three games I have done.. not a bad option

#20 10 years ago

Believe it or not brake parts cleaner works fantastic for removing the glue. Much cleaner than the flour method.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-freeze-spray-to-use-on-mylar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.