(Topic ID: 156440)

What's the best 2 Player 1960's - Pinball - 2" Flipper EM?

By EM-PINMAN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-1_(resized).jpg
DSCN4416_(resized).JPG
DSCN4414_(resized).JPG
12670700_1290180641008738_4974161219787241580_n_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4324_(resized).JPG
DSCN4314_(resized).JPG
DSCN4313_(resized).JPG
DSCN4309_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
DSCN4308_(resized).JPG
DSCN4307_(resized).JPG
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

What's the best 2 Player 1960 - 1969 - 2" Flipper EM Pinball Machine in your opinion and Why?

Thinking about getting one down the road.

Lets stick to the big 3 manufacturers (Bally, Gottlieb, Williams) as I have no interest in Chicago Coin, Woodrails. or AAB at this time.

I Don't think this topic has been covered and I have never owned a 2" - 2 player so I am curious what others have to say.

TIA,

Ken

#2 8 years ago

Gottlieb's "Paradise" for sure.

#3 8 years ago

The only 2-player game from that time I've even played is Paul Bunyan. It is a lot of fun to play head to head, especially when someone lights the 500 point roll under and the other player steals it. I will be interested in hearing of other 2-player games.

#4 8 years ago

My 1967 Gottlieb Surf Side. It got traded to Odin because I couldn't come up with enough money at the time. Do I regret it? Yes and No. I regret that I had to trade off something I liked very much to get something I wanted even more. I don't regret that it went to a good friend like Odin. Will I seek out another one? You bet! Instead of writing a wall of text....You can hear me talk about it in a video I made a year ago.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

My 1967 Gottlieb Surf Side.

Ha! I knew you would say Surf Side you Rat Bastard!

Ken

#6 8 years ago

Why just asking about 2 player pins and not all multi-players from the 60s?
Afraid of too many score reels to adjust?

#7 8 years ago

We all know what O-Dins top 3 picks will likely be, Pit Stop, Magic Clock and Surf Side.

#8 8 years ago

My wife is on me to get out the door now for quick day trip to Silverton, so I will have to come back to this topic after I get back.

#9 8 years ago

Gottlieb's '65 Thoro-Bred is a pretty good game, particularly when competing with a friend.

Williams '64 Oh Boy is a pretty good game too. Again, more so in a friendly competition.

Seems like these 2 player games were 'designed' for exactly that, at least some of them.

#10 8 years ago

San Francisco. It's a great 2-player because you can leave the arrow in a position that can either hurt or help the other guy. Really fun, even with the gobble hole. Great artwork too.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

We all know what O-Dins top 3 picks will likely be, Pit Stop, Magic Clock and Surf Side.

Pit Stop hands down. First one we play every night. And it is not just a great multiplayer, it also gets played as a single player. Often.

#12 8 years ago

My friend Bob got a little frustrated after I beat him twice last night so he put a little magic on it after we were done.

DSCN4307_(resized).JPGDSCN4307_(resized).JPG

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Why just asking about 2 player pins and not all multi-players from the 60s?
Afraid of too many score reels to adjust?

Actually too heavy for me to move around the Heads myself these days due to my arthritis/gout. Eventually moving 2 players around would be hard too but I only plan to have one Two player at any given time so I should be fine for another decade or so.

Also the two players generally have more and better art than the 4 players and yes, cleaning/servicing 8 compared to 16 score wheels does have its advantages as well.

Ken

#14 8 years ago

I'd send my Surf Side and Capersville to Rat and get rid of most of my single players before Pit Stop would ever be moved from it's spot.
Same with Magic Clock, Serenade, Jolly Roger, and El Toro. They aint leaving.

#15 8 years ago

But they've all earned their keep including Dodge City.

DSCN4308_(resized).JPGDSCN4308_(resized).JPG

#16 8 years ago

Saturday night is here, time for some Dodge City!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But they've all earned their keep including Dodge City.

I think that Williams King Pin Needs to go as it does not fit in with your Multiplayer's, let me help you.

Ken

#18 8 years ago

I'm leaning towards these titles so far:

Gottlieb 1969 Wild Wild West*
1967 Paradise
1967 Surf Side

Bally 1963 Star Jet*

Williams 1968 Lady Luck
1963 El Toro*

( * indicate favorites out of the group)

So what do ya think?

Ken

#19 8 years ago

If you have more than two players, a four player game comes in handy.

DSCN4309_(resized).JPGDSCN4309_(resized).JPG

#20 8 years ago

Actually my favorite 2P of this era is Keeney's Arrowhead
great artwork and one of the first games to have drop targets.

#21 8 years ago

Sold my Wild Wild West about 10 years ago. Big mistake, really miss the game and would of looked nice next to Dodge City.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd send my Surf Side and Capersville to Rat and get rid of most of my single players before Pit Stop would ever be moved from it's spot.
Same with Magic Clock, Serenade, Jolly Roger, and El Toro. They aint leaving.

You know my address. Send them on over!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Actually my favorite 2P of this era is Keeney's Arrowhead
great artwork and one of the first games to have drop targets.

Very cool machine indeed and on my radar now!

Ken

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

You know my address. Send them on over!

You wouldn't want to know what I have planned after STI picks them up.

#25 8 years ago

I could suggest Wagon Train and Melody Lane, only because they are the only two I have owned that fit the criteria of 1960's two player. They were not keepers for me, but I don't remember why they are still not in the collection. Its a time and place thing too, I have found in my flavor for pinball fun. In time, two player 1960 pins will be the thing.

#26 8 years ago

My Wagon Train is a one player. But a good one at that.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

I could suggest Wagon Train and Melody Lane,

Thanks for the suggestions but Wagon Train is a single player and Melody Lane is a Woodrail so they don't really fit the criteria I set.

Ken

#28 8 years ago

I just sold my Lucky Hand to fund a Pleasure Isle. Hands down this is not only one of the best 2P pins out there,, it is one of the best pinballs of any player amount. Double backbox animation, 3 bells, progressive scoring, and its's one of 3 known 2P add a balls by Gottlieb. Lancers and BIg Top being the others. New York is NOT a true AAB.

It is my 2nd highest rated EM only behind Cowpoke. I was Lucky Enough to play a Flipper Cowboy today, that is one helluva pin and equal to Cowpoke, basically same game with different backbox animation and smiliar artwork.

#29 8 years ago

He said he's not interested in AAB's at this time

#30 8 years ago

Paradice - my buddy has one and it's a great game (and he said it will never leave his place)

Would like to try Surfside some day too......

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My friend Bob got a little frustrated after I beat him twice last night so he put a little magic on it after we were done.

DSCN4307_(resized).JPG

That's a beautiful sight.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

He said he's not interested in AAB's at this time

yeah good luck finding a 2P AAB. Paradise is the replay version, I bet it is a real nice game and if it's anything like Pleasure Isle, it's a KEEPER

#33 8 years ago

Gotta go with the Williams El Toro... This is the most "physical" machine in my collection. It's like you have to drive this machine without power steering... And with the holdover feature, people go crazy when they see that red extra ball light!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Would like to try Surfside some day too......

Third one from the right.

DSCN4313_(resized).JPGDSCN4313_(resized).JPG

#35 8 years ago

See what we're up against.

DSCN4314_(resized).JPGDSCN4314_(resized).JPG

#36 8 years ago

this is one of my pride and joys..such an awesome game to play and a stunner to look at.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

yeah good luck finding a 2P AAB. Paradise is the replay version, I bet it is a real nice game and if it's anything like Pleasure Isle, it's a KEEPER

I'd like to try out Pleasure Isle too - sounds like a fun game. As long as ruleset is tough to achieve and game times aren't long............

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Thanks for the suggestions but Wagon Train is a single player and Melody Lane is a Woodrail so they don't really fit the criteria I set.
Ken

Yeah you are correct. Memory fades.

#39 8 years ago

I'll send you and rat Surf Side and Capersville and Alex and Hoov King Pin and Classy Bowler. I gotta do something. I think.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

its's one of 3 known 2P add a balls by Gottlieb. Lancers and BIg Top being the others. New York is NOT a true AAB.

"Lariat", not "Lancers". Agree. "Pleasure Isle" is maybe one of the best EM pinball machines ever made. I have a spare body for one. I'd love to Frankenstein a single player wedgehead version out of it one of these years. Wouldn't that be cool?!!!

#41 8 years ago

GTB Big Top is a true AAB 2 player pin, but still very good game IMHO;
as is my BLY Loop the Loop (true AAB model).

Replay pins 2P model favs for each MFR are:
GTB ThoroBred
BLY Star Jet
Midway RaceWay / Flying Turns
CCoin Gunsmoke
But with WMS it is harder to decide
since they had so many more good 2P pins
Like El Toro, Jumpin' Jacks, Pretty Baby, TomTom, Eager Beaver and Pit Stop
But to be honest I have not had a whole lot of time playing most of the above,
Probably less than 20 plays each on most of these pins.
Actually never have played Eager Beaver, even though I own two of them;
so basing some of that on PF layout and play potential.

#42 8 years ago

I'd be interested in that Eager Beaver if you decide to part ways with it.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

GTB Big Top is a true AAB 2 player pin, but still very good game IMHO;

I sold mine 2 days ago. Game times lasted forever and I was just not playing it at all. I think I may have put 50 games on it total in a year period.

#44 8 years ago

Looks like Marshall Dillon was a pretty good shot tonight.

DSCN4324_(resized).JPGDSCN4324_(resized).JPG

#45 8 years ago

I have three favorite 2P's in my collection and can confidently recommend all three.

Gottlieb Pleasure Isle
Bally Star-Jet
Chicago Coin Hula-Hula

These are the most played EM's in house right now.

#46 8 years ago

IMO GTB Scuba, as it tracks player playfield objectives separately. There is a particularly intense final game video on Scuba, I think on the Papa site.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

I have three favorite 2P's in my collection and can confidently recommend all three.
Gottlieb Pleasure Isle
Bally Star-Jet
Chicago Coin Hula-Hula
These are the most played EM's in house right now.

Bally Star Jet looks interesting, would love to find one pop up locally.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Bally Star Jet looks interesting, would love to find one pop up locally.

Yeah. Fat chance, but ya never know!

2 weeks later
#49 8 years ago

Star Jet has AWESOME first-rate genre-defining eye candy artwork, but the gameplay is a little too simplistic for me. Lock/unlock and "not drain" is about all there is to it.

Would advise against Wild Wild West. Has those "lane blocking kickouts" like Zig-Zag/Wing-Ding and Grand Slam which I personally hate. Slows play... not fun.

Paradise is super strong. Beautiful, best game with that side->side->side->kickout mechanism, backbox animation, insert projector roto target (just cool), bells, and the first game designed with return lanes. Hard to beat dat!

Surf Side... well yeah... of course I have some experience with this one after restoring O-Din's machine and adding cabaret lights, new lamp sockets head-to-toe, etc. It is, thus far, the best 2-player EM I have ever played. 100x point theft and potential for extra balls just makes it a nail-biter to the bitter end (with lots of yelling). But... the Achilles Heel is a correspondingly weak 1-player experience. With no one to steal points from, you'll have to "earn and burn" the multipliers yourself. Which isn't as fun.

#50 8 years ago

I get why they added another reel on "Lariat" from "Wild Wild West" but man it just looks ugly to me. Probably because it uses the same art (although I do like the "extended" art), but it just doesn't look right, looks out of place and too plain with the extra reel being accomadated. Not like I'll ever own one anyways, hah! Different head sizes too? Looks like they went up to the next generation of head size, which I believe is different, correct? I do like the looks of Wild Wild West though.

Pit Stop looks cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-best-2-player-1960s-pinball-2-flipper-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.