(Topic ID: 211572)

What's the benefit of registering your league with IFPA?

By fattdirk

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vengeance
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fattdirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I'm curious on everyone's thoughts about registering their leagues with the IFPA. I run a small league at Madcap Brew Co in Kent Ohio. We have around 16 players that play every Tuesday night. We use matchplay to run a swiss style total points league. $5 entry with all proceeds paying out to the first and second player and champion gets their name on a plaque mounted by the games.

Last season I decided to register the league with the IFPA to try and drum up more interest as running the league is more of a hobby than a main thing for me so I struggle finding time to maintain social media. I figured the dollar per player covers marketing and stuff and it would give the league exposure.

Well they gave me a hard time about registering the league because we don't have a website. I alleviated this by talking to the social media manager at the bar and had him add the league dates to their facebook as well as posting an announcement on the gameroom instagram. They finally approved the league which I had pushed back the start date so we could fit into the 30 day window to post a league ahead of a start date.

First day of league and we get zero new players. Not only that but the players in the league do not even know what IFPA is. I reach out to the IFPA and they suggest I talk to the other leagues in the area to try and get them to promote my league?? I talked so some members of other leagues that pointed out the new point structure limits the amount of points a league gets based on the ranking of the members. So basically unless I go out of my way to recruit someone that is high ranked, the league is worth minimal points.

I was under the impression the point of the IFPA was to spread pinball but at this point I don't get the benefit. They don't market your league and they also set up the point structure to discourage new leagues from even being created. I just feel like I'm paying for nothing.

The icing on the cake was when I submitted the league results, they mentioned the winner wasn't posted on the facebook and didn't accept the results. Everything is documented in matchplay and the link was sent. Maybe other people haven't had such a crappy experience. I'd really like to hear your opinions on what I should do.

Next league won't be registered with IFPA since it starts next Tues but I'm trying to figure out what to do for the next session. I appreciate any input.

#5 1 year ago

I don't understand why they wouldn't give new leagues the same weighting as established leagues. You would think that would cause players to go and exploit the weaker field to get more points which would eventually even out the points across leagues since other players would do this as well. They would also teach the other players things about the game they wouldn't realize otherwise.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lots of competitive players like to play in tournaments that are for WPPRs (setup in the IFPA), it feeds the states rankings too. Lots of people love to try and qualify for those events too.

This is what i thought - but we don't qualify for many points (zero when they don't accept your results).

Quoted from Marvin:

It, under the new rules, effectively funnels money from local tournaments to Josh and his elite level friends who play in the nationals. Otherwise, not too much to offer.

This is interesting. Is that what the fees go to?

#21 1 year ago

So after sifting thru some of the anger towards the IFPA I think there probably is no benefit to my league. Just because my players don't care about the points at the current time and it doesn't actually promote my league. I guess I'll just invest more effort into promoting my events and not worry about the IFPA for the future.

Quoted from timtim:

Good luck growing the league and if I'm in Kent I'll stop by and drop in some quarters.

We're having a knockout at 7 tonight - come rock some TNA!

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vengeance:

I didn't do that
    His results are waiting for him to pay the $1 fee, I was looking for information about his league on the website he provided so I could verify the TGP, I couldn't find anything. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and moved the results through our system awaiting his payment. Then I sent him an email letting him know that if he wants to submit his league again I'm going to require more information on the actual league, this being his provided URL:
    https://www.facebook.com/MadCapBrewCo/
    I found lots of information on Corn-hole tournaments and chill cook-offs but nothing about his league.

I appreciate you reaching out. I think I had a bit of a misunderstanding as to what the IFPA provides. I'm going to work on promoting my league for better visibility and then will revisit the IFPA options later as I do think it could attract players.

#63 1 year ago

I wish I wouldn't have ever created this thread. Can't we all just get along. It's supposed to be fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.99
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.50
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fattdirk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside