(Topic ID: 211572)

What's the benefit of registering your league with IFPA?

By Deez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vengeance
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

No point in rehashing this here when you can spend all day reading about it, and more importantly find out the in-depth summary of what Wisconsin is up to:

The three main takaways:

1. It's only a dollar
    2. No it isn't.
    3. It wasn't an April Fool's joke

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, someone could always start a "Local Flipper Pinball Association" geared towards smaller, local leagues and tournaments that wouldn't necessarily count towards the IFPA or state/national tournaments.

I don't compete anywhere near enough to bother with the IFPA--to me, it seems "too big", and I know I'll never be going to state/national events. I can count the number of tournaments I've participated in in the past 5 years on the fingers of my hands. Partly because I'm in a pinball dead zone, and partially that I'm not too interested in competitive play.

On the downside, a separate organization would probably fracture the competition scene and result in not being ranked on IFPA (not that everyone cares about national rankings in the first place, especially when you're #54212 or such). On the upside, local events could get some of the support/guidance/marketing that they aren't getting from the IFPA, and have players ranked according to similar sized local leagues/tournaments, rather than on the state/national level with big players.

Yeah, they could.

But turns out “creating a Pinball sanctioning body is hard.”

Again, the original ifpa thread goes over this ad naseum. Numerous threats/promises were made about starting local sanctioning and in the end everyone was simply too lazy.

Easier to whine about $1 I guess.

#52 6 years ago

Instead of practicing to get better, or just accepting that they are a B player for life, it's easier for self-identifying scrub types to come up with some imaginary grand conspiracy involving the Free Masons, the mysterious and secretive offspring of D Gottlieb, and a shadowy cabal of former and current champions known as the Shatz/Stetta Alliance - all designed to siphon money from the proletariat and into the pockets of the "elite."

Competitive pinball isn't for everybody, and clearly, given the hysterical reaction by some to this measly nominal fee, it shouldn't be. That's why you can do it WITHOUT the auspices of the IFPA. But if you are gonna stay in the system you really should treat it with a little more respect and fewer histronics. It's hard to take some of this criticism seriously.

(it's a dollar)

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You never chased the WPPR buger anyway - WTF do you keep crying about it? At least Hilton was always a points hound.

Was hoping some Wisconsin dirt would start flying!

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm a disappointment to my state, I actually like/support the thing Josh is trying to do with the dollar. And I'm not an 'elite' player, either.

And yet you are good enough to contend for the SCS in Wisconsin. It'll be a much fatter pot next year, and not just for Josh and his small handful of cronies. This seems to be a point that many are missing.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm a disappointment to my state, I actually like/support the thing Josh is trying to do with the dollar. And I'm not an 'elite' player, either.

this guy gets what whysnow is still is incapable of grasping.

#61 6 years ago

Why are we even discussing this here?

We are breaking precious new ground that should be continued in the epic Wisconsin IFPA thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018

Rehashing the exact same points here - except without the context, and acting as if they haven't been addressed ad naseum - is is pretty disingenuous.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-benefit-of-registering-your-league-with-ifpa?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.