(Topic ID: 232664)

What’s the average life expectancy of a lithium button cell?

By Phat_Jay

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What’s the average life expectancy of a lithium button cell?”

• Less than 5 yrs 4 votes
      25%
    • 5-10 yrs 8 votes
      50%
    • 10- holy cow 4 votes
      25%

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4900 (resized).JPG
    sys3-coincell-leak (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phat_Jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Ok so I just pulled what I assumed to be an original lithium button cell from a system 3 gottleib board. I wanted to install a holder and replace the cell. I completed the work and wanted to check the voltage for giggles. It tested 3.34 volts yet! 20 yr old cell still good? It looked original, it was soldered in. Still holding memory without a problem, but I hate the unknown. Maybe it had been replaced, but it would’ve had to be done with original replacement parts then. Just blew me away. Wondering if anybody else has had unexpected life results with their batteries.

#3 5 years ago

Just blows me away that lithium’s last so long, and alkalines take a crap after a relatively quick period of time. Maybe it’s because I was dealing with a more modern architecture and it’s power load is less.

#5 5 years ago

Maybe I’ll go nvram route next. For now it has a new onboard button cell holder and battery. So how often should I replace a lithium, every 5 yrs? Also I have lithium aa’s in my bsd. Are those similar or more frequent. I know alkalines are annual, but what about the aa format lithium’s?

#13 5 years ago

The game I changed the battery on is my strikes n spares, which is from 1995, at the end of the run for system 3. This machine was on route when I bought it. Assuming it spent most of its life on route, possibly powered on most of its life, that may account for the long battery life. It just wasn’t draining enough.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phat_Jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-average-life-expectancy-of-a-lithium-button-cell?tu=Phat_Jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.