DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 9 years ago

Art. history and addictive gameplay.

If you like games like IM, BSD etc then a well set up em should appeal. They can play real quick. And they have bags of 'one more game' appeal.

If you like games like LOTR they may not appeal so much.

#41 9 years ago

And to those who think they are easy, try getting all 7 numbers lit on Buckeroo.
It's the 60's Valinor

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll take your 7 numbers and raise you to 10 on Big Daddy.

Wow, if Big Daddy is harder than getting those 7 numbers, I need to play one

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers in the center on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner. Need another game? Change the artwork a little and call it a totally *different* game. I imagine EM's might work well to gut out for a virtual pinball cabinet. Or maybe you could lay some padding on them and use them for a bed. Who knows.
Of course you get people that claim that they require the ultimate skill etc. I guess people need to convince themselves that there is some reason to like them. EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

Yeah right

Here is Gigi with 14 pop bumpers.

Try getting 5 advances on this game! As hard as any modern day wizard mode.

Playfield.jpgPlayfield.jpg
#264 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm in my mid 40's and I grew up playing vids, and *never* pinball. I found pinball 2 years ago. The nostalgia in pinball for me comes from the art and sounds -- not from a specific title.
I have different views on EMs: As a fan of art history, as a player, and as a restorer.
I. I love the art and sounds of EMs -- the art represents its time, and the sounds are very good at creating a "time-travel" ambience of antiquity. (I'm not holding out hope that modern Sterns will help me time travel back to 2010-2015 when I play them in 20 years -- we'll see.)
II. Having professed my love of EM's from an art and history point of view, I have three big issues with EMs as a player.
1. Flipper strength. I cannot get past the weak flipper strength compared to solid states.
I'm used to powerful flippers in all my games, and that responsiveness is attractive to me -- when you take that away, it's like asking a 16 year old to turn off the car ignition to his dad's V8, and go back to riding a rickety 10-speed. I can't deal with that calibration to "being ok with slower"
2. EMs have a simpler playfield design. One aspect of this design that is difficult for me is the commitment to symmetry. I really appreciate how most solid states from 1980 forward have strong asymmetry. You simply get less predictable action from an asymmetrical table.
3. Playfield pitch and speed. I'm guessing some of you have applied fast clear coats to your EMs... I have never played one with a clear coat (to my knowledge) and so I've never seen an EM that plays fast (regardless of weak flippers.) Having a playfield at 6.5' instead of 4.0' moves the ball to the flippers quicker and creates more action for the player. I call 4.0' pitched tables, "grandpa mode" -- it's so much slower, and the ball travel is much more lateral. ZZZzzz...
III. As someone who is rapidly learning how to restore pinball machines, I see learning EM's as a whole 'nother frontier, that I may not find the time to learn this lifetime.
I'm most pleased that older folks are ok with the symmetry and speeds of playing in 'grandpa mode.' It's just not something I expect to ever get involved with. If someone was willing to juice up their EM with some stronger flippers and a 6.0' pitched, and cleared playfield, please let me know because I might be interested in giving it a go -- the art and sounds are the BEST there is.
-mof

Some games are horribly slow.

A game gone through plays pretty quick. I have a 1960 Spot A Card - regular flipper coils. Man, this game is quick! And I have Iron Man close by which is one of the fastest games of all time, for a good comparison.

I once played a Gigi with yellow dot coils, 6 degree pitch - at times the speed of the ball was unreal. I wouldn't set up a game to play that fast but the point is that you can if you want to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.