DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm 37, didn't grow up with them,

37! After meeting you this weekend I would have sworn up and down you were under 30!

#70 9 years ago

My guests have loved the couple of EMs I have had, I am super eager to get another in my house. IMO if you can have a collection of four games, one should be an EM. Have a collection of ten? then two.

And some actually have deeper "rules" than you would think. Once end of ball bonus, and double bonus on last ball come into play, its a whole new level.

I think each person just has to find the right kind of EM for them.

#71 9 years ago

I am adding more.

I was just telling someone over the weekend how I only saw the light this past year. When I first started the hobby anything that didn't have a DMD was worthless! I need dumb little video for my pinball!

Then I got over that and alpha numeric was ok, as long as I could still read things it was cool.

Then I realized its ok for it to just be numbers, I can get a little board for high scores, who needs letters of any kind AS LONG AS IT STILL HAD MULTIBALL!

Then I borrowed my friends EBD and realized a simple ruleset thats bonus based is actually super challenging and a ton of fun.

Then I realized EMs when set up right and with the right elements for my taste were totally awesome, as long as they have full sized flippers, this is me current day.

I fully expect next year to embrace 2" flippers, year after that woodrails with no score reels, and in two years it will be flipperless bingo games.

Hit me up in five years when I am exclusively into bagatelle games.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now that's not being very practical Steve.

Ha! I meant minimum, you want maximum, then you go balls out maximum!

#77 9 years ago

You know what, I thought better of all this. EMs are dumb everyone. Don't buy them, keep the prices low for the rest of us (although not low enough in the bay area).

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Of course you get people that claim that they require the ultimate skill etc. I guess people need to convince themselves that there is some reason to like them. EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

I would love to see you play against a top of their game EM player.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

someday your DMD will be "old school" too.

I think it already is.

1 week later
#339 9 years ago

Glad no one likes these old things, otherwise someone else may have scooped this boring old thing up I got for a song off of Craigslist.

image-149.jpgimage-149.jpg
#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Oh, you weren't kidding! More photos plz...

I will as soon as I get it unloaded. Have to get up at four so only the head made it into the house.

#348 9 years ago

So far it's cleaning up good

image-825.jpgimage-825.jpg image-756.jpgimage-756.jpg
#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I saw that and wished I was anywhere near CA. I paid way more for my Surf Champ that needed a "little" work. It's turned out to be my favorite EM...and I have or had Gold Strike/Centigrade 37/Abra Ca Dabra/Jacks Open/Atlantis.

Wow, those are some heavy hitters! Can't wait to get mine up and running.

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Same here. How much of a project is yours, Steve?

Hard to say as I have not dug into it yet. But so far it will start a one player game, but not more than that. The score for player one does not reset but will advance. One Pop bumper has the bottom of a Dixie cup cut and taped around it, so something is wrong there.

The good though. All plastics intact and in good shape. Back glass in great shape, only the smallest amount of light damage, totally fine with it. Playfield dirty but should clean up great, touch ups hardly needed and I will probably not do as it's just some light wood grain separation. Needs a new rubber kit. Star posts are going to go through the ultrasonic cleaner and maybe oxi bright process to see if I can avoid replacing.

Owner said it has been in the family ten plus years, was gone through five years ago but hardly played since then. I think I have the schematic too, there was something taped inside the back box but haven't gotten into it yet.

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Does it have the correct spinner? Those are always wrong for some reason. I had some decals made--might have a set left if it's incorrect.

It may, I will need to check if it's correct, I believe it has a girl on a surfboard on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.