DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plowpusher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

"Stupid" ?? You haven't played many EMs I guess or maybe you just sucked at them because they were hard. When the first SS games came out with ramps and different levels I hated them but I have come around to accept that they just have a different style of play. Compare some of your new Sterns to older ones, you will find that some aren't much more than changing the theme, adding new figurines and translite/backglass ... there is limited space and once a good flow is established there isn't much else you can do (EM, SS or DMD alike).

Wow sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that paying $5-7000 for a modern pin makes sense just because it is newer tech(doesn't mean a better play experience). My Aztec takes skill to hit some of the targets without going straight into the sidedrain and I don't get 2-3 "do overs" like these newer machines. I was very surprised by the number of easily earned extra balls you get these days. IMO an EM was designed first of all for OPs to make money, players enjoyment was secondary and that makes them a bit more challenging.
Technology didn't exist ... duh... but it was the best technology of the time, someday your DMD will be "old school" too. I played pinball in the 70's and drove some of the hottest stuff on wheels back those days ... my Lexus IS is just as fast as any number of big block chevys from those days but I wouldn't want to change the driving experience of a big screaming V-8 just because it isn't the newest tech. You think we should we "gut out" those original muscle cars and modernize them just because they aren't the latest tech?
Top 10 reasons I have EMs
10: Purchase price is low
9: Enjoy that I get to tune them occasionally to keep them going
8: Variety of game play ... you can find a pin with pretty much anything from simple to busy playfields depending on what you want in the line up.
7: Memories of days past
6: Purchase price (did I mention that they are cheap?)
5: Artwork and colors - nothing compares to the older artwork ... it is art, newer machines not so much
4: Sounds and smells (ozone from the arcing) spinning score reels, spinners, chimes, no annoying voice overs
3: Cabinet knocker ... nice and loud so people look and know you won a game
2: Simple easy to understand rule sets, I don't need a YouTube video to understand them
Number 1 reason I like my EMs:
SPECIAL WHEN LIT , where has the good old red special light gone? I REALLY miss that

Don't forget number 11 the Code is Complete

#283 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgem's beat the hell out of studying back in 1976

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 24.98
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plowpusher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=plowpusher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.