DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago

- they are what i grew up playing...
- they simple, yet hard, at the same time...
- when i was a kid, i dreamed of owning my own machines...
- i can fix them...

i'm an em guy through and through... i have tried to like "modern pinball", and to me, it is a completely different game, and i don't really care for it... i'll feed some money into one if i happen to come across one (it is pinball, after all) but if there was an em sitting next to it, i'd put my money in the em...

#49 9 years ago

oooo.... i want that "tradewinds"... that is downright purty...

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

This looks like a simple case of PINBALL envy. Isn't that a commandment, thou shalt not covet thy neighbours pin.

a commandment that i break all the time...

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Great write ups on EMs.
Are there written rule sets anywhere, even if very short?
What's the up keep on them with all the relays, etc. in comparison to a dmd upkeep?

- usually the rule set is simple enough that the printed card on the apron is more than sufficient...

- i don't know anything about the upkeep on a dmd, but once you have properly shopped an em, it generally will not require any tinkering with relays, etc. AS LONG AS YOU PLAY THE GAME CONSISTENTLY... the number one key to keeping an em "behaving" is to play it often... sure, occasionally things "stop working" and need to be fixed... but not on any kind of regular basis...

a properly shopped and consistently played machine should give you very few, if any, issues...

other than that, it's just "normal" pinball maintenance... rebuilds of wear parts like flippers, cleaning and waxing of the pf, and so on...

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yep! Try to roll over the game with 2 inch flippers.

true dat... i have NEVER rolled my "royal guard"... and i've only gotten close once (and choked like a dirty stinkin dog on the last ball)...

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what I mean! Come take the Big Daddy challenge. It's waiting for you. Aurich put up over 800 pts. Can you do better?

159490-i.jpg 44 KB

i fully plan on making it there someday and taking the rotordave challenge.... i WILL roll that machine, even if it takes me weeks!

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

yep. My dipsy doodle only has bells.

bells rule... i love bells even more than gtb chimes...

some machines have the best of both worlds, a nice big 5" bell and chimes...

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Rolled it? Or lit the "1"?

i'm gonna count lighting the "1" as rolling it for that machine... rolling it to 2000 would be, dare i say, epic...

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've done it twice.

yea, but you've played it about 10,000 times....

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's on three ball play my friend, and that is where we leave it.

you ARE a sadist, aren't you?

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I never really appreciated EMs until I got a chance to play a bunch of beautifully maintained examples during this past Expo Brawl. I forget the name of the collector who brought all those games to the show, but it was really awesome of him. I think his name is John something.

i really think that this is an important point... most who say "slow/boring/etc." have not played a properly set up em... "slowness" is a non-factor...

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

If his daughter can do it you can too Chris. My daughter and neighbor kid lit the star on my Skill Roll way before I could. Drove me crazy.

yea, but i may need odin to prepare my trailer, cuz it will likely take me awhile...

Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, in one hour.

gotta love those short ball times...

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I remember when solid state machines arrived on the scene, and I got a very cold feeling. I said to myself it's over, they will never make them again. The beeping sounds and the electronic scores did nothing for me.

yup i remember too, and i had the same feeling... my quarters starting going into video games right about then...

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

To what degree do you guys think WNBJL can satisfy the lack of an EM in a small collection?
Any guesses as to if it will be a proper substitude?

the magic 8 ball says... "unclear at this time"...

edit: it needs to be produced so "we" can play it... it will definitely lack some of the em charm, but (assuming all goes well) should be fun and straightforward... it's more like a very low scoring early ss machine, with a few em pf tricks mixed in...

imo, ymmv, etc.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There you go, well done, posting that photo of your EM game with wire form ramps!

nice catch...

#203 9 years ago

that first instruction card makes it sound easy... i mean, how hard could that be?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Moving targets hard to hit with 2 inch flippers? naaah......
--jeff

and at the correct angle to not find the slings of death, almost guaranteeing the ball will find an outlane if you don't get it off the slings RIGHT NOW...

piece of cake...

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Simple ≠ easy.

true dat...

one thing is for sure... i NEVER complain about "long ball times"... and i certainly didn't complain about them when i was pumping change into machines...

"keep the ball in play"... for those of us who were teethed on 2" em pinball, that was the most important thing... it's why "we" tend to have pretty good ball/machine control skills (and even with those skills, i still pretty much suck)... otherwise, your dimes went awfully fast...

#282 9 years ago

i LIKE ac flippers... you are rewarded with plenty of "speed" to make the needed shot if your flip is timed correctly... if your flip is timed incorrectly, you are not rewarded...

for those of us who are also stubborn enough to chase the little white ball... it is analogous to old skool equipment (persimmon driver, forged blade irons, wound balata ball)... square up the ball and have good timing, it would go plenty far (and MAN it felt good)... mis-hit it, and it went nowhere (and didn't feel so good, especially on those cold mornings)...

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I love how Williams advertised with the cigarette holder on the wooden shelf. Where do the ashes drop to?

that's what the shelf was for... then they'd get brushed off onto the floor (where the butt was likely crushed as well)...

i can't remember playing one of those "shelf cabinet" designs... by the time i started smoking, those things were long gone, we used to just lay our smoke on the machine up against the lockdown bar, with the lit end hanging over the side of the machine...

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Well I'm convinced. I'm thinking my next game is going to be an EM. I really need to get over and get the Happy Clown out of my brothers barn. When we were younger, one of his shop teachers gave it to him. My dad spent a lot of time getting it going with what parts he had. It didn't play 100% but was fun. I know my brother broke the backglass when moving it once. I'm not really sure what condition its in now after all these years. I'm also a little scared to think what it might look like tho. Its been in his barn unheated for the last 20 years.

two words... tetanus shot...

three more words... appropriate breathing protection...

four more words... go get it now!!!

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Yeah I need to. I guess I shouldn't say barn, its more a detached two car garage that my brother piles junk in. I think I'd like to get it out of there anyway for the memories of my dad when he was alive. Like a part of him can still be around rather then continue to rot away. Even if I can't get it working I'd like to get it in my basement.

get it in your basement and i promise that you will get it running... "we" in the em world are pretty helpful when it comes to "fixin stuff"...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.