DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caucasian2step.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 9 years ago

From my perspective there are three things that make me love EM's

1) I grew up with them. So they take me back to the happy place right quick. The Artwork, the sounds of the game starting up, the hypnotic paths the ball would take across the PF at slower/spinning trajectories. Something you don't see too often in newer and faster games.
2) The skills needed to play them. This is why many pinheads who stick to newer, faster designs will stay away from EMs. You have to be able to adapt and work the game differently than playing a modern SS/DMD deck. Watch the highest level players play both kinds of games, they can do it all and many times will pull a save on a new stern that many SS/DMD players would not even consider as the trick was pulled out of the EM hat.
3) I take a good look at what designers of the past were doing and how their work influenced the games being produced today. For me the big three were Ed Krynski, Steve Kordek and Ted Zale. Ed was the king of his day. The sheer amount of games he produced (and many were heavily borrowed by other designers or were completed in multiple forms, take El Dorado for example). Steve Kordek while not as prolific or as celebrated as Krynski, did some fantastic work in the early 60's and was the overseer of Williams and their stable of talent to the end. I don't know of any designer that worked with him that didn't appreciate the wealth of knowledge that he brought to the second golden age of pinball. But for me... Ted Zale is the MAN! There are others who did it before him, but the asymmetrical designs of the 60's through the early 70's had more interesting shots and "flow" than the works of either Master K or Centurion K. Add zipper flippers and multiball. Absolutely incredible in a gazillion different ways. Talking to Bill Manke over at Boxwood pinball, the name that comes up most often and the one that I see the most in his designs are influenced by... Master Zale!

Ok, there are more than three reasons... but these are three REALLY good ones!

#178 9 years ago

I miss my Card Whiz. I love my Volley.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

You are way wrong! Whoever hits the one dingy thing and makes it ding the loudest then wins some points and also activates the other dingy thing then hit a pop bumper 10 times to light the last dingy thing. Ding that and you roll the score over! From there just continue dinging! Then a secret drop target emerges, drop it for more dinging and be the grand Champion!

This little dingy went to market...
This little dingy went home...
This little dingy had roast beef...
And this little dingy had none...
And this little dingy went weeeee-weeeee-weeeee, all the way home!

(To the sooper-dooper-pooper-scooper-jackpot-dingy, of course.)

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. Flipper strength. I cannot get past the weak flipper strength compared to solid states.
I'm used to powerful flippers in all my games, and that responsiveness is attractive to me -- when you take that away, it's like asking a 16 year old to turn off the car ignition to his dad's V8, and go back to riding a rickety 10-speed. I can't deal with that calibration to "being ok with slower"

I'm most pleased that older folks are ok with the symmetry and speeds of playing in 'grandpa mode.' It's just not something I expect to ever get involved with. If someone was willing to juice up their EM with some stronger flippers and a 6.0' pitched, and cleared playfield, please let me know because I might be interested in giving it a go
-mof

Grandpa says you need to play Strato/Super-Flite! This is the deck I take people to when they complain about EM games being too slow. DC flippers and pops. The game has deadly speed and all the standups mean that this game does not slow down, ever! Most 5 ball games last less than 45 seconds on my setup. Also, in this particular case... a steeper setup may make for a less speedy\dangerous setup. Once the ball gits launched off of the flipper/slings it moves with the quickness. I can't tell you how many times I shoot for the A bank for the ball to then hit the B bank, thread the pops and head straight out the right outlane. FEEL THE PAIN!!! And yes this game is fast. So fast that you will loose the ball from your field of vision only to realize that it has passed through one of the outlanes as the ball bounces off the apron into the outhole.

stratoflite1.jpgstratoflite1.jpg
#280 9 years ago

Wickerman (and denver locals, or heck... anyone passing through town!), you are welcome to stop by any time and play some fast, slow, fast and slow and everything in between... anytime. Just hit me up with a PM and we can coordinate!

Once again my pin-philosophy is: If the game plays great, I want to play it! There are many EM's that I have little or no interest in playing. The same can be said for a minty-ooober-lightning-fast DMD like Champion Pub, Indiana Jones (esp. the Stern version), Rolling Stones (once again, esp the Stern version), Popeye or Gilligan's boat anchor. I don't like the way those games play regardless of era, manufacturer or designer.

And as a side note, yes... manufacturers put in numerous dummy reels to shoot the scores into the millions. Makes ya feel really proud of yer hyooj score!

cue-tee.jpgcue-tee.jpg
#336 9 years ago

Best pin-story I have heard in a LOOOOOONG time.

ritf.jpegritf.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonds, WA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider caucasian2step.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=caucasian2step and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.