DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Serious question, and I know "to each his own", but what is everyone's draw to EMs?
Personally I feel they're slow and boring to play. Just too old school compared to modern solid state pins.
What do people who collect EMs find so cool about them? (this isn't a smart-ass thread either)

For me, I was only about the new stuff when I first got into collecting. Wanted to play DMD only. Over time after you played nearly every DMD on the planet. Then you expand to alpha numeric. Then early SS. Start to appreciate the rules for earlier games. Then EM's. Many EM's are a lot more fun than one would expect. Rules are a lot of fun on a lot of them. When people are over, the EM's are usually the games where, everyone wants to "play just one more" because the scores are usually very close and you usually lose by just a hair. Drives people to want to keep playing together. You have to play a lot of EM's, and you have to play them enough to really understand the rules. Over time and years of collecting/playing, you will appreciate them more.

My favorites are

Super Soccer- Has backbox bonus balls that you build up and max out, but can cash in on the playfield so you can reload. Very fun rules and one of my top 20 favorite games

Sinbad- Has an ordered drop target system, that not only increases your multipliers but lights your top lanes. While trying to build bonus. Fun layout and fun rules.

travel time- Game is has a timer (no set balls to play). You play to try and build up time. many things on the playfield stop the clock, but lots also start it again. Unique setup which I like.

#118 9 years ago

yup, EM's will play forever as long as you keep playing them at least every 3 months.

#123 9 years ago

royal guard is a good time. I wish there was a 4 player version out there. If there was, i'd be looking for it.

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers in the center on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner. Need another game? Change the artwork a little and call it a totally *different* game. I imagine EM's might work well to gut out for a virtual pinball cabinet. Or maybe you could lay some padding on them and use them for a bed. Who knows.
Of course you get people that claim that they require the ultimate skill etc. I guess people need to convince themselves that there is some reason to like them. EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

What's ironic is that you bag on em's for being repetitive, yet you own, AFM, MM and MB. Talk about repetitive. Same shit, same boring fan pattern, same rules. Apparently your not that opposed to owning games that are copies of others.

#226 9 years ago

and what about all the advancements we see on modern games thanks to EM technology. Like the disappearing Pop bumper as seen on CV. that idea is from an EM. Spinning lamp on TOTAN, also done on 2 different EM's.

#228 9 years ago

I was wondering where my quote came from. Because I don't remember ever saying that, nor is it something that I would say.

#243 9 years ago

should I do a poll on how many of us were DMD only guys, and slowly went the way of early SS and EM? and what ages. I have a feeling those of us that started out DMD are around similar ages. True EM guys are ones who played them as a kid and bring back fond memories. Usually have minimal like for DMD's at all.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

More like Spicoli waiting for his buddies to come play pinball

Fast-Times-At-Ridgemont-High-Spi... 42 KB

You hear that? That was my skull!!!!!!!!!!!!

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And you can't do this with a modern game.

128165-i.jpg 35 KB

What the hell is going on in this pic? Is that made like that or a custom add on?

#287 9 years ago

I like how the flyer mentions nothing about the tray, like it's common place to have it.

Btw, is this a time based game like my Travel time is?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.