DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#165 9 years ago

EM's are what it's all about! You don't have to put up with the distracting sound and light show, unnecessary ramps and boring shot repetition of the newer games. With an EM you get basic rules and a well designed table with virtually the same dimensions of the newer stuff. They certainly must have offered plenty of challenge, we're still playing them!

#224 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers in the center on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner.

Show me a DMD Game without view obstructing ramps constantly returning the ball to the flipper in-lanes, only to have to shoot for some other ramp. Sorry, not into the mindless 15-20 minute back-and-forth volleys the DMD Games draw you into. To me, it's not about the sound and lite show and LED's.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

If you think today's pinball is doing better with the same playfield dimensions than the EM 5-minute-per-game challenge that kept 3 major manufacturers busy for decades years ago, well, you're not thinking straight. IMO, all today's technology is doing is adding bling via liting and sound-voice, etc, to much of yesterday's technology.

#265 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If someone was willing to juice up their EM with some stronger flippers and a 6.0' pitched, and cleared playfield, please let me know because I might be interested in giving it a go

IMO, you just described the DC voltage period, the main difference between EM's and everything thereafter. Since dimensions never changed, DC power did alot to dwarf the playfield, compromising player interest, (at least until the design teams creativity rose to the challenge).

The real interest in pinball to the average collector IMO, is the challenge of defeating the game, not the blinking lites, soundtracks, speech modes, or speed of the ball. If you enjoy this challenge, a properly dialed in EM Game can piss you off quicker than any other. It's 5-7 minute game times keeping you coming back for, "Just one more" always there despite the ball speed, or simple rules. No one wants one more DMD 20+ minute marathon game shooting ramp shots over and over again, "Just to get to the next mode," no matter how peppy it plays.

If you really think EM's are too slow or too weak, I'd have to say the game really wasn't dialed in properly to sustain your interest.

#266 9 years ago

Sorry..............I keep forgetting that pasting quotes from previous pastes gives the wrong author.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I juiced my woodrail up with a DC bridge under each pop because they bored me and I could not resist the temptation to see what would happen as an experiment. It's fairly easy to remove the bridges if I want to reverse the mod. The pops are WILD fast.

I did the same to my Wms. Paddock, (5 pops), years ago. The difference was flat out entertaining! With 5 pops, the ball was kicked around so hard and so much it could barely make it down to the flipper-sling area. I had to make it a 3-ball game to keep it from getting rolled over so often. Try doing it on a game with 5 pops that is NOT a keeper.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Each have their place, and either variety may not appeal to everyone... But there is room for all!

+1

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Meh, no clue on the titles. They all look the same to me. They ding and chime, you drink beer, ball floats to the bottom , you walk away. The end

Sounds like my experiences with DMD Games.......Oh, wait, I forgot......"Shoot the ball up the ramp 5X in a row to get 10 million".................... Snorefest!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 24.98
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=boatcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.