DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirePower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 9 years ago

I think you have to appreciate each era and what it has to offer. Obviously from my collection you can see it is mostly EM's but I am not old enough to ever played one in the wild. As many others stated the skills used to score high on many an EM have to do with artful nudging and sheer accuracy. It is also fun to curse the scoring errors on EM's due to an over abundance of switches hit in a short period of time that most solid state machines would catch.

Late 70's pins added the solid state scoring and more complex sounds and then we have the speech and start of multilevel play fields and ramps in the 80's. All fun but it started the build up of complexity. The 90's took the show to a higher level (some argue the highest state of perfection in the Bally/Williams era) and added great ramps and stacking modes. Again a great time but a vastly different set of skill is required including memorization of modes and how to "get somewhere". I recall the first time I walked up to Attack from Mars and besides the bash toy didn't quite follow the modes at first.

I think Stern is addressing this in some ways and if you look at The King's interview on Star Trek it is almost like a multi purpose game with straightforward shoot the light shots for beginners and a ton of depth for the more experienced players. A great step in the right direction of giving many different folks both an approachable but also deep game.

Appreciate EM's for the simplicity and downright fun. It is kind of like buying an Xbox or PS4 vs. a Wii U. Sure the first 2 have vastly superior graphics and more depth in gameplay but when you want to play a few games with friends sometimes the Wii U is superior as it is simple, fun and straightforward while occasionally being brutally hard.

Enjoy them all, but if it's not your thing that is okay, more EM's for the rest of us.

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirePower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems?tu=FirePower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.