DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg
There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 9 years ago

It was only a fuse.

DSCN3370.JPGDSCN3370.JPG

#352 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Glad no one likes these old things, otherwise someone else may have scooped this boring old thing up I got for a song off of Craigslist.

I saw that and wished I was anywhere near CA. I paid way more for my Surf Champ that needed a "little" work. It's turned out to be my favorite EM...and I have or had Gold Strike/Centigrade 37/Abra Ca Dabra/Jacks Open/Atlantis.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I saw that and wished I was anywhere near CA. I paid way more for my Surf Champ that needed a "little" work. It's turned out to be my favorite EM...and I have or had Gold Strike/Centigrade 37/Abra Ca Dabra/Jacks Open/Atlantis.

Wow, those are some heavy hitters! Can't wait to get mine up and running.

#354 9 years ago

Same here. How much of a project is yours, Steve?

#355 9 years ago

I'd agree Surf Champ has more to offer than most of the usual EM A-listers.

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It was only a fuse.

DSCN3370.JPG 186 KB

Nice lineup o-din! I'm looking forward to pics of your finished Trade Winds.

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Same here. How much of a project is yours, Steve?

Hard to say as I have not dug into it yet. But so far it will start a one player game, but not more than that. The score for player one does not reset but will advance. One Pop bumper has the bottom of a Dixie cup cut and taped around it, so something is wrong there.

The good though. All plastics intact and in good shape. Back glass in great shape, only the smallest amount of light damage, totally fine with it. Playfield dirty but should clean up great, touch ups hardly needed and I will probably not do as it's just some light wood grain separation. Needs a new rubber kit. Star posts are going to go through the ultrasonic cleaner and maybe oxi bright process to see if I can avoid replacing.

Owner said it has been in the family ten plus years, was gone through five years ago but hardly played since then. I think I have the schematic too, there was something taped inside the back box but haven't gotten into it yet.

#358 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Can't wait to get mine up and running.

Does it have the correct spinner? Those are always wrong for some reason. I had some decals made--might have a set left if it's incorrect.

#359 9 years ago

EMs are so cool, my daughter has one in her apartment at Michigan State! This one is hers.

2014-10-12 11.46.03.jpg2014-10-12 11.46.03.jpg

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Does it have the correct spinner? Those are always wrong for some reason. I had some decals made--might have a set left if it's incorrect.

It may, I will need to check if it's correct, I believe it has a girl on a surfboard on it.

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Meh, no clue on the titles. They all look the same to me. They ding and chime, you drink beer, ball floats to the bottom , you walk away. The end

Sounds like my experiences with DMD Games.......Oh, wait, I forgot......"Shoot the ball up the ramp 5X in a row to get 10 million".................... Snorefest!!

#362 9 years ago

I'm 49 and grew up playing EMs. One of the things I remember loving the most was the sounds; not the chimes, the clicking of the steppers, score reels and such. My favorites were the '70s era Gottliebs; something about the cadence of the steppers just sounded cool to me. It's a topic for another thread, but someday, I'd like to get a Target Alpha or something else in that ilk for a keeper.

In the mean time, I'll keep playing the Star Trek Pro we have at work; it's set on free play, how can I resist?

Brad

#363 9 years ago

What's so good about card games? I mean it's just a stack of bits of paper with a few crappy symbols on them...

What's so good about pool? I mean it's just a table with a few colored balls on it...

What's so good about baseball? I mean it's just a bunch of guys hitting a ball with a stick...

Fact #1: how complex a game is made and designed to be has little to do with it's enjoyment factor.

Fact #2: EM's are more fun to play with friends than 90's/00's solid states.

Fact #3: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If something looks beautiful to you, then it is.

Anyways, I'm 30. I never grew up with EM's or even the early solid states, I only remember the 90's ones. But having recently played a few EM's I now see their charm. They are wonderful mechanical machines and they're pretty to look at. Same as how some people look at old steam trains and classic cars. There is something rather majestic about them.

If you want to learn how to play pinball, how to aim the ball at specific targets, how to keep the ball in play, then get yourself an EM.

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the attraction with EMs?

The non photoshopped art combined with the bells and chimes, the sounds of the stepper motors and scoring reels not to mention all the relays clicking in wonderfully engineered harmony.
Sheer beauty.
005.jpg005.jpg
012.jpg012.jpg
013.jpg013.jpg
014.jpg014.jpg

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What's ironic is that you bag on em's for being repetitive, yet you own, AFM, MM and MB. Talk about repetitive. Same shit, same boring fan pattern, same rules. Apparently your not that opposed to owning games that are copies of others.

This is somewhat fair and I agree to a degree. Monster bash and MM are not on my permanent keeper list while AFM is.

#366 9 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Another reason I like EM's : most have a fairly simple hardware set. Not 17 sizes of each screw, nut and washer, 16 ball guides, 127 nylon washers. Makes em (hehe) easy to take apart, and easy to put back together.

Exactly. The hardest part is figuring out where the short posts go, and where the tall posts go!

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i like the sound of the machine, the clic clic clic, bell, chime, the art, the vintage look.
i used to have one, now i'm looking for another.

Same here...I think it's the sounds that take me back. I'm 50 and was there as ems gave way to SS and then the dmds. I love the sound of the score reels and chimes. I had 3 but now only have 1though I do have a couple rifle games too.

#368 9 years ago

I had a great opportunity over this past summer to play in a all EM tournament at a Pinsiders house. 60 EM's in all. I arrived a little late and the other 38 players were already there practicing. There are truly no words to describe the incredible sounds you hear when you walk into a house with about 38 EM's being played all at once. True music to the ears.

Now on the other side, I have also been to house tournaments with 15 DMD's and about 5 late SS being played all at once. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? I could not wait to lose and get the heck outta there. It was like walking into a Best Buy back in the 2000's with 20 different home theater systems all blasting different movies.

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

EMs are so cool, my daughter has one in her apartment at Michigan State! This one is hers.

2014-10-12 11.46.03.jpg 112 KB

Is that a bong on her coffee table?

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Is that a bong on her coffee table?

??? She's a criminal justice major, so, ummm. No. They're drinking glasses and a vase in the foreground.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

sorry if I've offended you, but anti-EM arguments seem about as intelligent as racist arguments. Generally based on ignorance, coming from people with no idea what they're talking about.

Equating racial disenfranchisement and a person's taste in an entertainment device is weird.

All liquor tastes the same to me, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the nuances and differences from one drink or another.

1 week later
#372 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've owned quite a few of the DMD pins. Thanks largely to Odin and his great collection of EM's, I started to really appreciate how fun they could be. One of the things that I love about any pin is if it has that strong "just one more game" pull to it, that makes you want to play the game again as soon as it's over.
EM's have that in spades. As others have said, the rules are usually pretty simple to understand with easy goals. Simple to understand...difficult to master. I also appreciate the shorter ball times. My Sure Shot, set on 5 ball play, kicks my ass on a regular basis. Those 5 balls won't last as long as a 3 ball game on Iron Man.
Since you don't have music, call outs, a DMD, etc., the games are more pure in terms of concentrating on the silver ball. I do love the sound of the chimes/bells too.
I'm really glad that I've discovered how fun EM's can be. It's like another world of pinball...and the bang for the buck in terms of fun is extremely hard to beat for the price of admission.

To follow up on my statement that those 5 balls on an EM won't last as long as a 3 ball game on IM, it isn't even close.

For the fun of it, the last 30 or so games I've played on my Slick Chick, I decided to time the length of my games with a stop watch.

The *average* game (5 balls) lasted all of 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

I had some games that were less than a minute and a half!

The two longest games I had, where I had real good scores, including my second highest, lasted 3 minutes and 36 seconds and exactly 3 1/2 minutes.

There is something very appealing to me about the fact that I can have a great game, with a high score and getting a few specials, all in 3 1/2 minutes.

Funny thing is that I know that the game times were even shorter on my Sure Shot that I recently sold. Slick Chick isn't easy, but ball times on other EMs will be even shorter, as the ball can stay in the 9 pop bumpers on SC longer than other EMs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-attraction-with-ems/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.