Topic Stats

• 372 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 74 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

014.jpg
013.jpg
012.jpg
005.jpg
2014-10-12 11.46.03.jpg
DSCN3370.JPG
image-756.jpg
image-825.jpg
DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The beat up ones are probably the best ones, they clearly has a ton of play. There was probably a reason for that.

So now its the beat up not playing well ones are the best? Lol you guys are too much!

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

two words... tetanus shot...
three more words... appropriate breathing protection...
four more words... go get it now!!!

Yeah I need to. I guess I shouldn't say barn, its more a detached two car garage that my brother piles junk in. I think I'd like to get it out of there anyway for the memories of my dad when he was alive. Like a part of him can still be around rather then continue to rot away. Even if I can't get it working I'd like to get it in my basement.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Yeah I need to. I guess I shouldn't say barn, its more a detached two car garage that my brother piles junk in. I think I'd like to get it out of there anyway for the memories of my dad when he was alive. Like a part of him can still be around rather then continue to rot away. Even if I can't get it working I'd like to get it in my basement.

get it in your basement and i promise that you will get it running... "we" in the em world are pretty helpful when it comes to "fixin stuff"...

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Comparing them is apples and oranges.

maybe better put saying comparing apples and pears

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

get it in your basement and i promise that you will get it running... "we" in the em world are pretty helpful when it comes to "fixin stuff"...

Thanks. I'll take you up on that. Might be a while, my brother is in the hospital for his appendix.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

So now its the beat up not playing well ones are the best? Lol you guys are too much!

I don't see it that way at all. Some got beat and some didn't depending on how they were maintained. Just like any other era of machine. You would probably be better off arguing why you own the three machines you have as opposed to say Shaq Attack.

#307 4 years ago

double post

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't see it that way at all. Some got beat and some didn't depending on how they were maintained. Just like any other era of machine. You would probably be better off arguing why you own the three machines you have as opposed to say Shaq Attack.

I see you missed my point, no worries. I was saying I played both the nice ones and the beat ones (which are supposedly the fun ones at shows I guess?) and didn't overly enjoy either. Not sure why there is an argument to that? It's just my opinion.

#309 4 years ago

Have you ever played Shaq Attack?

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Have you ever played Shaq Attack?

What does that have to do with EMs?

Read the posts above in the thread to understand my post about CQ vs beater games

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

What does that have to do with EMs?

Nothing. I was just curious if you had ever played one at a show vs. one set up in a home. And how it compared to the DMD machines you currently own. And after that you can elaborate on what EM games you played that you didn't like. Specific titles can be very helpful.

You see I love DMD games as well but can be specific that I think the three you own are kind of meh, but can go on to list others that aren't. Without game titles we can get nowhere.

#312 4 years ago

For example, none of the twelve EMs the way I have them set up ever do this-

Quoted from jrivelli:

when my ball is slowly dinging around at the top and nothing fun is happening

Or this-

Quoted from jrivelli:

Whoever hits the one dingy thing and makes it ding the loudest then wins some points and also activates the other dingy thing then hit a pop bumper 10 times to light the last dingy thing. Ding that and you roll the score over! From there just continue dinging! Then a secret drop target emerges, drop it for more dinging and be the grand Champion!

Kind of wondering what title or titles you are referring to.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nothing. I was just curious if you had ever played one at a show vs. one set up in a home. And how it compared to the DMD machines you currently own. And after that you can elaborate on what EM games you played that you didn't like. Specific titles can be very helpful.
You see I love DMD games as well but can be specific that I think the three you own are kind of meh, but can go on to list others that aren't. Without game titles we can get nowhere.

Meh, no clue on the titles. They all look the same to me. They ding and chime, you drink beer, ball floats to the bottom , you walk away. The end

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Meh, no clue on the titles. They all look the same to me. They ding and chime, you drink beer, ball floats to the bottom , you walk away. The end

LOL...about right. I played a lot of Mati Hari (I think it was called) as "filler" at a show while waiting for a DMD game to free up. It wasn't half bad, but NFW is there any longevity there. No way is it a game to have at home. When a DMD game freed up I'd immediately walk away from the EM I was playing to play the faster, better game.

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...about right. I played a lot of Mati Hari I think it was called as "filler" at a show while waiting for a DMD game to free up. It wasn't half bad, but NFW is there any longevity there. No way is it a game to have at home. When a DMD game freed up I'd immediately walk away from the EM I was playing to play the faster, better game.

I own a Mata Hari. I had it in my arcade last year - an arcade which was primarily EMs and early solid state games. My Mata Hari plays lightning fast - as do all of my games! It had people waiting in line to play it. On league nights, it was almost always played.

I'd you were bored playing Mata Hari, it was set up wrong - period. Mata Hari should be in everyone's top ten all-time list of favorite games. It's tough, fast, and a ton of fun if it's set up right.

I know that everyone has their favorite era of games to play, but EMs are "the great equalizer". You can be number 1 in the IFPA standings, and that doesn't mean anything when you play a good EM. You can't keep hitting the same shot over and over again!

So, while you might prefer to play a more modern game, EMs don't suck - if they did, you wouldn't have modern games to play today!

#316 4 years ago

Agreed.

#317 4 years ago

Frame of reference

55-45 years old:Likes/remembers Ems has been playing longer, has lived longer ,therefore is wiser and not overly impressed with something just because its new.This age group caught the "biggest wave" because pinball was more popular and more readily available to them.

45-35 years old:If the individual loves pinball then he probably likes Ems and SS.Most in this age group are B/W snobs with some earning enough to take a chance on NIB(Stern,JJP) stuff.This age group experienced the "Renaissance" of pinball in the 90s.

35-25 year olds:Waiting on code

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

That's a shame. Sincerely.

Since you are a pinball fan, I hope for your sake, that you become more enlightened someday regarding EMs as they really do have a lot to offer on many levels.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

You have a nice DMD collection going. Ever have that relative or friend come over and they look at your machines. They are completely uninterested and unimpressed. It's hard to imagine they couldn't appreciate them to some degree. These machines were designed with fun in mind after all, but they just aren't intrigued. In our gamerooms you're that guy.

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

You have a nice DMD collection going. Ever have that relative or friend come over and they look at your machines. They are completely uninterested and unimpressed. It's hard to imagine they couldn't appreciate them to some degree. These machines were designed with fun in mind after all, but they just aren't intrigued. In our gamerooms you're that guy.

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I didn't say not playing well. One in better shape is going to play better. But if you are looking for a title and every one is pristine it probably sucked to play so they never got beat on. If all the examples are beat to death is probably a well designed game that got played to death. Find the best one you can then clean it up to get it back to what it used to be.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

In our gamerooms you're that guy.

In our gameroom, he's the guy we send to get the beer.

#323 4 years ago

th-4.jpeg

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I didn't say not playing well. One in better shape is going to play better. But if you are looking for a title and every one is pristine it probably sucked to play so they never got beat on. If all the examples are beat to death is probably a well designed game that got played to death. Find the best one you can then clean it up to get it back to what it used to be.

Or they were restored?

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

That's a shame. Sincerely.
Since you are a pinball fan, I hope for your sake, that you become more enlightened someday regarding EMs as they really do have a lot to offer on many levels.

Why do I have to like em games? Some like em games way more than dmd. Are they required to like dmd games more? Not at all. I don't like em games. I have my reasons. Fully valid to me just as I'm sure yours are super valid reasons for you like them

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Every family member who comes overlays skeeball and avoids pinball or leaves a 4 player game lol. Its humorous to watch

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Why do I have to like em games? Some like em games way more than dmd. Are they required to like dmd games more? Not at all. I don't like em games. I have my reasons. Fully valid to me just as I'm sure yours are super valid reasons for you like them

You certainly don't. Your comment sounded like you haven't really given them a chance though, and my point is simply that you'd be glad if you did. Your choice of course.

#328 4 years ago

Em pinball is good because of the following. That sound of the bells ringing and the stepper units and other mechanical parts going to town while watching the score reels fly. The warm glow of the 44,47 light bulbs and twinkle of the 455 flash lamps. Trying to nail the spinner or roto target with the 2 inch flipper. The colorful artwork somebody actually spent more then 5 minutes creating it as to the photo shop slop jobs you get on many machines today. I have to say the best part is once it works you get all the features it's done. You don't have to hope a good programmer or the factory maybe someday updates the code to get it at it's best.

#329 4 years ago

Here are some pics from Santiago Ciuffo's PINBALL book, which has plenty of pics of EM games:
Photo by Santiago Ciuffo, published in his book PINBALL

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Comparing them is apples and oranges.

I've heard more people say this about EM games versus SS/DMD games and actually I don't get it. To me pinball is pinball. I agree the gameplay is different, but all types of games should have the same fun factor. Actually the fun factor on EM games may actually be higher as they are merciless and have more random ball movement, which I love.

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

...have more random ball movement

handpuppet.jpg

#332 4 years ago

OK. I'm going to give this one last shot for those that don't understand.

Wunderbar!.jpg

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

OK. I'm going to give this one last shot for those that don't understand.

I bet there's no "toy" to smash on that game after you hit it to the pop bumper area and up a ramp....so it sucks I guess.

#334 4 years ago

I have both, and they all can be a challenge. If you don't see the challenge you are doing it wrong.

But I suppose those that only like DMD game could also just have a short attention span and they need all the lights and such to keep them interested. lol :p

#335 4 years ago

Good thread going here.

I'm 43, a classic arcade kid, and had three EM's in my house when I was 6...

1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg

(that's me on the left in 1977)

At the time I was way more into video games (Fairchild Channel-F/Atari 2600). Then came Intellivision, Nintendo, 16-bit, 32-bit, virtual reality, CDROM, internet, faster faster faster.

All was great until...

...the arcades disappeared, pop music became super shitty, and pinball machines were replaced with ticket dispensing games. Sure, I churned a few hundred thousand tickets and pulled an iPad or two out of Dave & Buster's. Some of those games were pretty fun. But where did the pinball machines go? I needed my fix.

In mid-2013, I asked my dad if he still had those three EM's in storage. He did. I decided to teach myself how to fix them. All were in pretty bad shape. I started in August. First was Playball, then Doozie, then Flipper Fair. I got them all running by March 2014 and staged them at the Texas Pinball Festival in the same order with my family present...

IMG_5430_sm.jpg

I guess this is where I really got hooked on EM's. The art, the sounds, the physical nature of the machinery, the "pureness" of the game. No repetitive callouts, no super-mega-up-your-butt-bonuses, no waiting for animations to play. After TPF 2013 I nearly lost all interest in DMD games. Now it's all about collecting the "essentials"... only the games which have the best balance of all elements.

In my opinion most of the winners are pre-1990 though to be fair some of the modern machines have "it" too... like Stern's latest Star Trek game. Great balance of art/rules/rewards.

If you don't like EM's, be sure your opinion is based upon a good working example. Too many of the ones I find play sloppy and slow and have flaky bulbs and sad mechs. No thank you. EM's should SPARKLE and have SNAP and be ALIVE and kick your ass all over the place. Once you get there, you'll be hooked.

#336 4 years ago

Best pin-story I have heard in a LOOOOOONG time.

ritf.jpeg
#337 4 years ago

Great story.....you should have posted it on your machines at TPF

#338 4 years ago

Agreed. That would have been ideal but it was a bit of a mad rush to get everything ready in time as-is. No matter... many new stories ahead. Since that last photo I have established an arcade/pinball-focused committee (VECTOR) at the Dallas Makerspace to support other people in the hobby & bring in some new folks. Very cool things afoot. Come by and say hello if you'll be at TPF this year!

#339 4 years ago

Glad no one likes these old things, otherwise someone else may have scooped this boring old thing up I got for a song off of Craigslist.

image-149.jpg
#340 4 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Glad no one likes these old things, otherwise someone else may have scooped this boring old thing up I got for a song off of Craigslist.

That's a nice one...care to share how much? Pretty desirable multi-player.

#341 4 years ago

$150, deal of the goddamn century.

#342 4 years ago

Oh, you weren't kidding! More photos plz...

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Saying EMs are all the same is about as smart as saying all people of other races look the same.

Post edited by Collin: really poorly worded

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Do all black people look the same to you, too?

Dude...W. T. F. ?.

#345 4 years ago

I honestly don't care what other people say they don't like. I line em all up! I kind of figure some don't have a clue how to fix them. It's not that hard once you get the knack. I'll fix those backbox lights tomorrow. When I have a minute or two.

DSCN3369.JPG

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

$150, deal of the goddamn century.

I paid more than double that for a project Surf Champ.

After $25 worth of rubber, and another $25 worth of beer during clean-up, I'll have about as much fun as $400 can buy.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Oh, you weren't kidding! More photos plz...

I will as soon as I get it unloaded. Have to get up at four so only the head made it into the house.

#348 4 years ago

So far it's cleaning up good

image-825.jpg image-756.jpg
#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Dude...W. T. F. ?.

sorry if I've offended you, but anti-EM arguments seem about as intelligent as racist arguments. Generally based on ignorance, coming from people with no idea what they're talking about.

#350 4 years ago

Another reason I like EM's : most have a fairly simple hardware set. Not 17 sizes of each screw, nut and washer, 16 ball guides, 127 nylon washers. Makes em (hehe) easy to take apart, and easy to put back together.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
2,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
€ 8.40
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North East, PA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 21.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 19.95
There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside