New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 115926)

What's the attraction with EMs?

By Blackbeard

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 372 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 74 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

014.jpg
013.jpg
012.jpg
005.jpg
2014-10-12 11.46.03.jpg
DSCN3370.JPG
image-756.jpg
image-825.jpg
DSCN3369.JPG
image-149.jpg
ritf.jpeg
IMG_5430_sm.jpg
1977 - Schell pinball family.jpg
Wunderbar!.jpg
handpuppet.jpg
Pinball - santiago ciuffo postcard page.jpg

There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 5 years ago

Just sayin'....

image-716.jpg
#52 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

oooo.... i want that "tradewinds"... that is downright purty...

I've never played one before, but I'm always on the lookout for games that promise "long" ball times.

#53 5 years ago

Sometimes you just want to play some pinball, and not worry about modes.

#54 5 years ago

Deep is not always better I would not want a collection of only EM game but I will always have a EM or early SS game that is relaxing fun game.

#55 5 years ago

I think you have to appreciate each era and what it has to offer. Obviously from my collection you can see it is mostly EM's but I am not old enough to ever played one in the wild. As many others stated the skills used to score high on many an EM have to do with artful nudging and sheer accuracy. It is also fun to curse the scoring errors on EM's due to an over abundance of switches hit in a short period of time that most solid state machines would catch.

Late 70's pins added the solid state scoring and more complex sounds and then we have the speech and start of multilevel play fields and ramps in the 80's. All fun but it started the build up of complexity. The 90's took the show to a higher level (some argue the highest state of perfection in the Bally/Williams era) and added great ramps and stacking modes. Again a great time but a vastly different set of skill is required including memorization of modes and how to "get somewhere". I recall the first time I walked up to Attack from Mars and besides the bash toy didn't quite follow the modes at first.

I think Stern is addressing this in some ways and if you look at The King's interview on Star Trek it is almost like a multi purpose game with straightforward shoot the light shots for beginners and a ton of depth for the more experienced players. A great step in the right direction of giving many different folks both an approachable but also deep game.

Appreciate EM's for the simplicity and downright fun. It is kind of like buying an Xbox or PS4 vs. a Wii U. Sure the first 2 have vastly superior graphics and more depth in gameplay but when you want to play a few games with friends sometimes the Wii U is superior as it is simple, fun and straightforward while occasionally being brutally hard.

Enjoy them all, but if it's not your thing that is okay, more EM's for the rest of us.

Cheers!

#56 5 years ago

Why listen to Black Sabbath when Dream Theater's around?

#57 5 years ago

I love them not only for the art and gameplay but also for the art of the engineering that went into every one it's not just an age thing my wife is 32 and preferes em's.

#58 5 years ago

I really like the 70s EMs. They are beautiful and fun. That is all that counts. Something about these games in this era were just awesome to play and to look at.

Also, EMs rule for competition. I HATE playing a DMD game with multiplayers. The ball times and extra balls just make it painful as hell. Think I will go get a sandwich and take a dump while Spencer plays this endless multiball and the two extra balls he has stacked. An EM is great for 2, 3 or 4 player games. The ball times are short and the randomness of the game play levels the play field. We have some amazing 4-player games on my College Queens and Jack in the Box. One game after the other for hours. Star Trek, IJ, ACDC, WOZ, etc just sit and wait for single player games.

Don't get me wrong, I love DMD games too. They are just different. Both are awesome in their own ways.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm 37, didn't grow up with them,

37! After meeting you this weekend I would have sworn up and down you were under 30!

#60 5 years ago

EM's keep you young!

#61 5 years ago

I'm 50 so I did play EM's growing up. But I somewhat lost interest with the age of electronics and solid state wonders, and DMD magic. BUT, I fell back in love with them again after my first trip to PAPA in 2009. They have so many EM's that I would have never got to play! Yes, some EM's are boring. But the majority are just awesome in the way they make you work for every point, nudging every nuance out of them and feeling like every single shot counts! They are probably the biggest single limiting factor to players at Pinburgh because they just take so damn much skill to play well!

I don't own any EM's now, but my first pin ever was a 1963 Williams, Big Daddy.

Backglass.jpg image-4.jpg
#62 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Also, EMs rule for competition. I HATE playing a DMD game with multiplayers. The ball times and extra balls just make it painful as hell. Think I will go get a sandwich and take a dump while Spencer plays this endless multiball and the two extra balls he has stacked. An EM is great for 2, 3 or 4 player games. The ball times are short and the randomness of the game play levels the play field. We have some amazing 4-player games on my College Queens and Jack in the Box. One game after the other for hours.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. Absolutely true.

It has been virtually impossible for me to get any of my non pinhead friends into playing multiplayer games on my DMD's. They will literally leave the room, go talk to others, etc, while one of the other players is playing. There is no excitement for them, and they seem distracted. This has gone on for years.

Enter my first EMs several months ago. At first I thought my non pinhead friends would laugh at them. I told them "you've got to see my old school pinball machines I got". Much to my surprise...they loved them! It quickly became obvious that they enjoyed them way more than my DMD pins. After I explained the goals, which were easy to understand, they were addicted to achieving those goals.

Then we started in on the multiplayer games. Playing 3 players on my Bow and Arrow was addicting as hell! Nobody was walking away while someone else was playing, that's for sure. Some super close games, tons of yelling and screaming, ridiculous amounts of fun. The fact that the EMs level the playing field helped a lot too, because they felt that they had a chance of beating me, which wasn't the case on the DMD's.

EM's are by far the best multiplayer pins. Not even close.

#63 5 years ago

EMs come in all shapes, sizes and colors.
315713-i.jpg

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

oooo.... i want that "tradewinds"... that is downright purty...

This looks like a simple case of PINBALL envy. Isn't that a commandment, thou shalt not covet thy neighbours pin.

#65 5 years ago

the art, the sounds, the clean lines (art and cabs)...what's not to love!?

Quoted from Darkslide632:

No idea. The only EM I've ever played that I liked was Joker Poker... arguably the best EM ever.

you must have meant fireball. I forgive you.

#66 5 years ago

Joker Poker vs. Fireball. Hmmm...somebody should start a thread.
108341-i.jpg

222178-i.jpg

#67 5 years ago

I find EMs beautiful in a museum sort of way. I love to look at them and admire what passed for high tech back in the day. Then I hit the little silver button (after quickly realizing the start button "isn't where it's supposed to be") and I start a game. As soon as I have to manually push the lever to eject the ball into the shooter lane, the warm fuzzy feeling wears off. Then I plunge the ball, go make myself a cup of coffee, and come back, still waiting for the ball to reach the flippers...and realize I can never actually own one of those beauties myself.

#68 5 years ago

And you probably shouldn't.

#69 5 years ago

I sorta get EMs. I love the retro vibe with the great artwork, chimes, mechanicals, and simplicity. I would love to have a few just to look at. I have yet to find one that is fun to play, though. Even a bad modern pin is more fun to play for me.

#70 5 years ago

My guests have loved the couple of EMs I have had, I am super eager to get another in my house. IMO if you can have a collection of four games, one should be an EM. Have a collection of ten? then two.

And some actually have deeper "rules" than you would think. Once end of ball bonus, and double bonus on last ball come into play, its a whole new level.

I think each person just has to find the right kind of EM for them.

#71 5 years ago

I am adding more.

I was just telling someone over the weekend how I only saw the light this past year. When I first started the hobby anything that didn't have a DMD was worthless! I need dumb little video for my pinball!

Then I got over that and alpha numeric was ok, as long as I could still read things it was cool.

Then I realized its ok for it to just be numbers, I can get a little board for high scores, who needs letters of any kind AS LONG AS IT STILL HAD MULTIBALL!

Then I borrowed my friends EBD and realized a simple ruleset thats bonus based is actually super challenging and a ton of fun.

Then I realized EMs when set up right and with the right elements for my taste were totally awesome, as long as they have full sized flippers, this is me current day.

I fully expect next year to embrace 2" flippers, year after that woodrails with no score reels, and in two years it will be flipperless bingo games.

Hit me up in five years when I am exclusively into bagatelle games.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

IMO if you can have a collection of four games, one should be an EM. Have a collection of ten? then two.

Now that's not being very practical Steve.
335371-i.jpg

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And you probably shouldn't.

Hey, man...I don't even want to hear from you. I predicted 365 avatars for you this year and you are WAY behind schedule.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now that's not being very practical Steve.

Ha! I meant minimum, you want maximum, then you go balls out maximum!

#75 5 years ago

EM's are great for competition, I play in two leagues and there aren't enough of them (if any) at all the host sites of collectors. Pure simple fun, that requires skill at making shots. Kind of like an early Bally SS. You should give them a chance, broaden your horizons, get out of the fad of DMDs only

#76 5 years ago

Mars Trek is the most enjoyable EM I've encountered yet. Minimalist and elegant, it manages to stack on the pressure like crazy even during a short ball. Nudging is absolutely required. Unlike many machines of the era, the spinners are just a death trap. A lucrative death trap, if you can handle it. It's even got an upper right flipper.

#77 5 years ago

You know what, I thought better of all this. EMs are dumb everyone. Don't buy them, keep the prices low for the rest of us (although not low enough in the bay area).

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

What do people who collect EMs find so cool about them

Here are a few cool things about EM pins. The art work, the possibility of rolling the scoring of the game, and the nostalgia. It is also extremely rare to have a ball get stuck during a challenging game.

#79 5 years ago

I just like the noise they make.

#80 5 years ago

I grew up with EMS, but have both in my collection. Recently got WOZ and I am trying to understand it, but after playing it for an hour or so I have to stop and go play Kings and Queens or Bank A Ball just to slow down and unwind and relax for awhile, as I just get to keyed up and frustrated with the deep rule set and just need the down time on a EM that is easy to understand and I don't have to think real hard as to what I have to do next. Both have their place and are fun. Sometimes you just don't want to have to think so hard and just enjoy trying to keep the ball in play.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from bearsfan27:

I don't have to think real hard. Sometimes you just don't want to have to think so hard.

We have a winner!
th.jpeg

#82 5 years ago

ding ding ....ding ding....di..di ...ding

#83 5 years ago

The pinside status quo of an all DMD collection makes me sad.

#84 5 years ago

I think we all tend to get into pinball and gravitate towards what we were playing at a significant time in our lives. Pinball is rich with nostalgia.

As I get deeper into pinball the more I appreciate different eras of pinball. I enjoyed playing many of the em's at Clay's open house last year at VFW. Some of them had advanced features that I never knew em's had. I can see myself getting an em at some point down the road. Experiencing them only at shows hasn't given me enough time to really appreciate them.

Pinball of all eras to me is like pizza or sex. It's all pretty good.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Pinball of all eras to me is like pizza or sex. It's all pretty good.

I want my DMDs like pizza. Fully loaded with all the goodies. But for sex, strip it down and make me feel it! Oh, is this a pinaball forum...... oops....

#86 5 years ago

I have 8 EMs and 5 relatively new Sterns. I like both types of games equally the same but for very different reason. Newer SS for the speed, lights, sounds and interesting game play. EMs are good for the nostalgia. Also the the feeling you get of having a part of American have history. I also like the fact the you can take apart a playfield in about 20 minutes instead of 6 hours. But my favorite aspect of EMs is the feeling you get while and laying the game. The feel of hit lying the ball with the flipper is very different. You can actually feel the ball hit the flipper. Nudging is a big part of the game. All of this adds to the feeling that you are not just playing the game but you are actually really art of the game.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I want my DMDs like pizza. Fully loaded with all the goodies. But for sex, strip it down and make me feel it! Oh, is this a pinaball forum...... oops....

I like my pizza like I like my women: hot and and a little greasy!

#88 5 years ago

EMs are like classic cars,
who does not love a
57 BelAire or 65 Mustang or 73 Challanger

#89 5 years ago

the sound of the chimes is awesome, only have one em, probably will stay that way. still fun to play, need to have at least one em in the lineup. maybe its that smell they have?

#90 5 years ago

nothing beats the sound of an EM on start up
relays resetting, drop targets popping up
the score reels going back to zero
and then the ball being launched, up the chute then down and into the shooterlane

music

#91 5 years ago

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers in the center on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner. Need another game? Change the artwork a little and call it a totally *different* game. I imagine EM's might work well to gut out for a virtual pinball cabinet. Or maybe you could lay some padding on them and use them for a bed. Who knows.

Of course you get people that claim that they require the ultimate skill etc. I guess people need to convince themselves that there is some reason to like them. EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

#92 5 years ago

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner. Need another game? Change the artwork a little and call it a totally *different* game. I imagine EM's might work well to gut out for a virtual pinball cabinet. Or maybe you could lay some padding on them and use them for a bed. Who knows.

Late night drinking?

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Every EM is the same stupid game. Put 3 pop bumpers in the center on the flattest possible surface with a bunch of misc targets and some crappy targets and add some chime sounds and you have a winner. Need another game? Change the artwork a little and call it a totally *different* game. I imagine EM's might work well to gut out for a virtual pinball cabinet. Or maybe you could lay some padding on them and use them for a bed. Who knows.
Of course you get people that claim that they require the ultimate skill etc. I guess people need to convince themselves that there is some reason to like them. EM's only existed because technology didnt exist to do better.

You need to play fireball

#95 5 years ago

mr-grumpy-mug.jpg

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You need to play fireball

Wait, thats the one with 3 pop bumpers smack in the center? Oh I might have gotten that confused with {insert any other EM here}

#97 5 years ago

The three pop bumpers on almost any modern game are pretty much generic and almost all do the same thing. Compared to the creative use of them on many EMs. I don't need to go into details, I will just go play them.

#98 5 years ago

@markmon maybe you can try to set the playfield steeper if you feel like the ball takes forever going down.

good EMs are fun to play, and as posted numerous times require a different skillset.
28 here, so i never saw them on location
i dig the art ( think canadadry, abracadabra, etc )
parallel with cars is spot on i think. you get the "classic" feel

try playing a 60s against someone who knows what he is at, you 'll feel the pain of seeing your ball going down the drain making 10 pts whereas his just racks up as he nudges and hit the thing.

disclaimer ** if you want to enjoy Ems don't play them after playing a DMD.**

should try 70s it's not so different from what you can be used to on DMDs
60s is somethin else
to each their own...but i like all of 'em

I mean , it's written on the freaking thing : "a game of SKILL" "It's more fun to compete"
that says it all

if anyone wants to give me his fireball please do i'll probably find some space left in the house ^^

#99 5 years ago

One advantage of EMs that I don't think anyone's mentioned here is that the playfields are usually much more open than on newer machines. Modern games often have so many ramps, bash toys, scoops, mini playfields etc that the area you have to hit the ball around is actually quite small (some games, like Taxi or Playboy, feel downright claustrophobic). You end up spending most of your time negotiating obstacles, and your shots feel like they've been dictated by the game designer. Whereas the open playfields on EMs just seem to allow the player more freedom to use their own approach to the game, largely due to having more potential angles for hitting to the upper playfield.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Just like you have many games that are basicly the same fan layout....MM, MB, Met, ST, Spider Man. AC/DC. I like your collection, but your statement could go both ways with your love of DMDs in your collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester , PA
$ 63.29
Cabinet - Other
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 9.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Middleton, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gloucester, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside