By rogerdodger

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi Guys:

As we all know, the next CGC remake is rumored to be Monster Bash.

I am in the market for a NIB game and was hoping someone could explain why this game is rated so highly?

I love the art and theme but remember that, when MB was first released, I played a few games and walked away. Having said that, I was only knocking the balls around and didn't know the rules or what to shoot for.

I do like the older B/W games and some input here would be appreciated.

I currently own Stern PoTC, The Flintstones, ToM and Houdini.

Thanks.

Roger

#2 5 years ago

Really just fun for just about everyone with exception of serious players. For them it’s too easy. Great and funny callouts, really sharp looking game if in great condition, theme is eternal, music clips are fun/ spooky, the monster toys are all well done and meaningful to the rule set and gameplay. For us it’s a keeper. I actually sold off 5/6 of my collection including MB and my girls , 7 and 9, begged that we get one back. Only one in my list of owned in the past they wanted back.

#3 5 years ago

Try it out in the Pinball Arcade app, if you don't like it there you probably won't like owning one.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Really just fun for just about everyone with exception of serious players. For them it’s too easy. Great and funny callouts, really sharp looking game if in great condition, theme is eternal, music clips are fun/ spooky, the monster toys are all well done and meaningful to the rule set and gameplay. For us it’s a keeper. I actually sold off 5/6 of my collection including MB and my girls , 7 and 9, begged that we get one back. Only one in my list of owned in the past they wanted back.

Well, that's good because I am not a serious player. Often, I like to just shoot the ball around and have fun!

#5 5 years ago

Absolutely nothing.
That’s why it’s never in tournaments: shooting the creature all day frickin’ sucks!!!!!!! ...it’s worse than Medieval Madness.
#WheresTheCode

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Really just fun for just about everyone with exception of serious players.

Quoted from AaronJames:

That’s why it’s never in tournaments: shooting the creature all day frickin’ sucks!!!!!!! ...it’s worse than Medieval Madness.
#WheresTheCode

Ha! I love it when one post demo straights a point made by an earlier post.

Yep, MB is great. Could use some more code. My guess is CGC is going to have more code in the release, you’ll be able to pick from playing original code or new more advanced code that will make even the tourney players happy. Just my prediction.

#7 5 years ago

I really hope that there is new code on the game. That would be amazing! I’m optimistic for this.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ha! I love it when one post demo straights a point made by an earlier post.
Yep, MB is great. Could use some more code. My guess is CGC is going to have more code in the release, you’ll be able to pick from playing original code or new more advanced code that will make even the tourney players happy. Just my prediction.

#8 5 years ago

New code? I just might buy it.

#9 5 years ago

Classic theme and just plain fun. Collecting all the monsters and getting them to rock out just makes you smile. Not all games need to be super serious tourney games.

#10 5 years ago

Never liked the game thought monsters and rock and roll was a stupid theme. I hate the big CD in the middle of the playfield. And it’s very expensive for how easy it is .

Ready for all my down votes

#11 5 years ago

The big thing is that it was one of the last WPC machines released. IIRC only Cactus Canyon came afterwards, and many people feel CC wasn't 'Finished'.
So MB got the mystique of being the LAST of the finished WPC machines on the market.

Add in how, at the time of release, pinball was on a big downswing. So MB's sat longer at distributors, spent less time on route, and generally hit the collectors market in markedly better condition. Yet production numbers weren't very high. Compared to games like T2, Funhouse, TAF, TZ and such we're looking at a BIG drop in available machines.

#12 5 years ago

Hopefully CGC does do an update to code.
Everyone in my family loves the theme and play.
Yes it’s an easy pin, but the call outs, music and play is just put fun. Along with it being a great looking pin.
It’s great to see CGC making these remakes. It gives so many more people the opportunity to buy at a fair price.

#13 5 years ago

Nothing really great after owning one for a while.... especially for the stupid prices they are. Has good theme and animations and the frank bash toy is neat but that's about it imo. If it was 4-6k maybe it be ok in a medium to large collection .

#14 5 years ago

You can beat the game in one night

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People that own MB don't own it to beat it. They own it to play it!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Increase the incline, remove the Outlane guides altogether, let’s see how you do then...

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

This.

Plus the campy voices and “meh” attempts at humor just don’t do it for me.

I assume there’s a lot of people that grew up watching movies with these Universal Monsters so that draws them in. Nothing wrong with that.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Increase the incline, remove the Outlane guides altogether, let’s see how you do then...

Had mine set up about as difficult as possible and it still was fairly easy .

#19 5 years ago

I recommend always playing a game as much as you can before buying one, even a remake. MB is fun but agree with most of the criticism. It's not a super deep, challenging game but fun for what it is. I find it a bit repetitive but still fun to play a few games when I come across one. I can't see how you can be down on a cast of classic monster characters jamming in a band while blurting out cheesy callouts. That's the kind of thing that made 90's B/W games so desirable. Adding in an alternative game with deeper code would be awesome. Bet it would really help boost sales. However, it doesn't sound like CGC has the talent to do so and would require a whole new set of licensed resources. They just emulate the original roms as far as I understand.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Well, that's good because I am not a serious player. Often, I like to just shoot the ball around and have fun!

Well... that’s kind of exactly what’s so special about Monster Bash

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hi Guys:
As we all know, the next CGC remake is rumored to be Monster Bash.
I am in the market for a NIB game and was hoping someone could explain why this game is rated so highly?
I love the art and theme but remember that, when MB was first released, I played a few games and walked away. Having said that, I was only knocking the balls around and didn't know the rules or what to shoot for.
I do like the older B/W games and some input here would be appreciated.
I currently own Stern PoTC, The Flintstones, ToM and Houdini.
Thanks.
Roger

Drac Attack is awesome. All other shots and call outs get old very quick.
Great looking pin though! I couldn't justify keeping it just for the eye candy...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from AaronJames:

Absolutely nothing.
#WheresTheCode

Monster Bash was just in the Allentown Pinfest tournament in May.

#23 5 years ago

It's a fun game.

#24 5 years ago

It’s only at #5 in the ratings.....there’s a reason for that

#25 5 years ago

I remember cutting high school and sneaking into our shop to unpackage Monster Bash. I played it at expo at the factory and couldn't wait to get it. We also had one in our break room for years that now lives at my house.

What so special about it? To me it's about the straight forward rules and the depth that can come with the knowing the rules well. Obviously the humor is awesome for casual players and the art package is exceptional. I don't think you can go wrong with this game but I suppose the newer titles offer much more in the way of complicated nuances that could never be match in Monster Bash unless there is some revision or updated version from Chicago Gaming.

Guess there is a reason they may remake this unit. It sold for a fraction new of what it is valued at now.

#26 5 years ago

There has been kind of a backlash against it of late, which I think is partly because so many new games are SO packed with features, and partly because those who have heard about this legendary game get it, and are a bit disappointed because it’s not the most complicated game in the world.

I LOVE it, partly because of the theme, and partly because I like to have a nice quick game every once in a while. It’s not LOTR or TH where you are on it for an hour - but it’s fast, and it’s fun, it looks great, and it sucks new players right in.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from AaronJames:

#WheresTheCode

Never is a really long time!

2 months later
#28 5 years ago

I've only played 2 games on this ever. I'd like to put more games on it as my buddy who's a very good player said the rules are simple for even a new person to understand. He said you don't always need a game that's super deep that you can't get to the wizard mode, which makes it fun

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I've only played 2 games on this ever. I'd like to put more games on it as my buddy who's a very good player said the rules are simple for even a new person to understand. He said you don't always need a game that's super deep that you can't get to the wizard mode, which makes it fun

That’s how I feel, it’s fun! Yes its easy but not every game has to be WOZ. Shoots easily as fun as DI

#30 5 years ago

Woz is fun and i'm just starting to understand it. Hobbit on the other hand, haven't installed new code yet. Wish I would have bought DI....oh well!

Definitely getting a MB

#31 5 years ago

Why do I like MB? 1. Nostalgic 90s theme 2. Theme music second to none 3. artwork is awesome 4. simple rule set (since I am not an expert player by any means) easy to play 5. Awesome call outs 6. Really nice original examples (like mine) and restored examples hold their value. (not stupid value of yesteryear)

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from AaronJames:

Absolutely nothing.
#WheresTheCode

No way it's worse then MM. That game is the bottom of the barrel and totally way over priced.

John

#33 5 years ago

3 ramps, great humor, and rock n roll with monsters.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My guess is CGC is going to have more code in the release,

Do the other remakes MMr and AFMr have different code than the originals? If yes, I somehow missed that memo.

Wouldn’t that kind of deligitimize the remakes ?

If you change the code, you could also rationalize changing stuff on the playfield I would think.

#35 5 years ago

It's one of the few pins I regretted selling and wanted back, and I've had quite a few over the years. And no one mentioned it but Lymans Lament is pretty cool.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

If you change the code, you could also rationalize changing stuff on the playfield I would think.

Yep, Then it's truly remastered. Changing the code on those games is very difficult and has been discussed at length in other threads. Some of the W/B 90s themes need code to make them worth remaking. (CCr) MB is on the cusp. If they feel enough people will buy the machine with the code as is, they won't change it. If they do change the code, I will bet the price will reflect those code changes.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Wouldn’t that kind of deligitimize the remakes ?

Nah, they would have the original code be a selectable option, so you would have both: original code and updated/upgraded code.

I hope they do this, it would be great.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

You can beat your meat in one night. Did you sell your dangus or play it again?

#39 5 years ago

Found it boring, maybe the remake will add something worthy of the money.

#40 5 years ago

To me MB is like Champion Pub. Beautiful machine. Lot of neat ideas, but it gets boring very fast. Neither of those games are worth half of what they go for in my opinion which is why I don't have one. Maybe the remake will get new code.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

To me MB is like Champion Pub. Beautiful machine. Lot of neat ideas, but it gets boring very fast. Neither of those games are worth half of what they go for in my opinion which is why I don't have one. Maybe the remake will get new code.

You might say the same thing about Alvin G games.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You might say the same thing about Alvin G games.

Except Alvin G games do not go for anything near monster bash so its a bit of a crap comparison. Mystery pulls half of what MB does and I'd argue that in some ways its got more replay value over MB. That said I wouldn't have paid 6k for mine even if it had been mint. At its price point I think it is a worthy option, but if you doubled the price I'd argue against it. The others pull a quarter give or take so instead of having 1 overpriced B/W title I can pay for 3.5 alvin g's.

Heck, I committed to buying a dinosaur eggs project for peanuts last night. I doubt it has a ton of replay value but when the buy in is less than 2 percent of a monster bash it suddenly seems like a steal.

#43 5 years ago

It’s a pinball machine

#44 5 years ago

Great theme - folks - these top titles are top for a reason - wide appeal and have withstood the test of time - doesn’t mean every pinhead will love them. But there is something special about MB.

#45 5 years ago

Killer game a classic

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

when MB was first released, I played a few games and walked away.

Nothing has changed there for me. It's not that fun or difficult to play.

What is special about it is it is one of the last Williams regular cabinet games and comes with a cool theme and lots of little monster figures. But even with that, I find the overall package looks too busy with colors a bit too loud, and is kind of an eyesore to have to look at on a daily basis.

#47 5 years ago

Don’t forget the Phantom Flip! Very cool feature and comes in handy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 75.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-so-special-about-monster-bash?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.