(Topic ID: 126404)

Whats on the assembly line right now at JJP?

By Pins4me

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

big-bass-wheel-pro-jackpot-ticket-redemption-game-baytek-games.jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Is WOZ still the main machine being assembled to this day (May 3, 2015 in case your reading this thread down the road)?
    If so are these pre-ordered machines? I mean, I love WOZ, but the workers must be sick of seeing these for 3 years now.
    Saw the Hobbit this weekend, and man, that baby is beautiful. Having said that, I hope they wont still be cranking that out in 3 years. I am sure a lot of us are anxious to see what Pat Lawlor has been working on.

#2 8 years ago

I don't have any inside information so I can't speak with certainty, but my guess would be WOZ Ruby Reds. Hobbit will certainly be soon but it doesn't seem like JJP is quite ready to begin manufactering and shipping. I'd also guess that eventually they'll be alternating between producing the Hobbit and Pat's game until they end the Hobbit run.

#3 8 years ago

I'm not being a smart ass when asking this, because I truly have no idea, but why can Stern crank out 2-3 titles a year and JJP is still making WOZ?
    Is there enough demand left to sell those remaining machines?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from whocanitbenow:

I'm not being a smart ass when asking this, because I truly have no idea, but why can Stern crank out 2-3 titles a year and JJP is still making WOZ?

JJP from the beginning has set out not to make just another pinball game but the best they can which takes extra time. I imagine yes they are still making WOZ's. Otherwise they'd have to lay off their assembly staff and then rehire/retrain for Hobbit. It would have been relatively simple to re-badge a WOZ and make it a Wrestling or Mustang but I'm glad they didn't do that - Hobbit is shaping up to be a really great unique game. It's quality over quantity...well most of the time.

#5 8 years ago

Ruby red still selling still producing... Not just sales in the USA but sales over seas still happening.

#6 8 years ago

I actually like that they don't make multiple games per year. Make one per 1.5 years and do it right. What worries me is it is taking longer than that.

#7 8 years ago

I believe I've read that Jack's goal is 2 new titles per year, but that doesn't happen over night.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

JJP from the beginning has set out not to make just another pinball game but the best they can which takes extra time. I imagine yes they are still making WOZ's. Otherwise they'd have to lay off their assembly staff and then rehire/retrain for Hobbit. It would have been relatively simple to re-badge a WOZ and make it a Wrestling or Mustang but I'm glad they didn't do that - Hobbit is shaping up to be a really great unique game. It's quality over quantity...well most of the time.

I definitely get the quality control thing, and I think JJP has produced 2 fantastic machines so far (prototype of Hobbit being #2) but once the parts are manufactured, isn't it really just down to assembly? so, is JJP doing anything different than Stern?
    Does JJP have a smaller staff/building/assembly line? I have been there, but not to Stern.

I would have loved to seen JJP make a widebody Star Wars machine, but they wouldn't be able to produce them fast enough. Unless of course, Disney is holding the pinball license private until 7, 8 and 9 are in the theater. I am not familiar with Hobbit enough to know, but does JJP's Hobbit machine have all 3 movies on it?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am not familiar with Hobbit enough to know, but does JJP's Hobbit machine have all 3 movies on it?

Supposedly that's why the production has been held up due to the playfield redesign... It now includes all three of the films. But I don't know for sure, that's just what I have heard.

#10 8 years ago

I wonder when the final cut off point of WOZ will be? I am sure it will be a bitter sweet day for them.

#11 8 years ago

It looks like Hobbit has integrated the video well into the game, taking the screen animations to a new level over WOZ (which ain't too shabby). I'd like to see other manufacturers use the screen as well. As much as I liked AC/DC (it really is a good game) I imagined it with video clips and a kick ass stereo system and 'would have liked it even better.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pins4me:

I wonder when the final cut off point of WOZ will be? I am sure it will be a bitter sweet day for them.

Pretty sure there is no cutoff point. There is no license to expire, the factory appears to be set up to be able to run multiple titles at one time, and there is no need to draw a line in the sand.

At some point we will probably be told that WOZ is done with production but no real reason they can't do more runs if/when demand is there.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure there is no cutoff point. There is no license to expire, the factory appears to be set up to be able to run multiple titles at one time, and there is no need to draw a line in the sand.
    At some point we will probably be told that WOZ is done with production but no real reason they can't do more runs if/when demand is there.

There is a license that expires... But it was renewed a while back... Should be good for a while still even when hobbit starts

#14 8 years ago

Last I heard there were 150 Woz games still left to ship, most of those should be almost done, as they called for last orders.

They were gearing the line up for Hobbit

#15 8 years ago

I heard it's a top secret zombie wrestling themed pin!!

#17 8 years ago

As a Stern representative and distributor that is poor form.

Esp when they are obviously making and selling WOZ actively right now.

#18 8 years ago

Wow. Actually I just heard from a JJP distributor the other night that there is still demand for WOZ and that he can't get anymore games in at the moment to sell.

#19 8 years ago

Tell him to contact me I have them Available

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

As a Stern representative and distributor that is poor form.
    Esp when they are obviously making and selling WOZ actively right now.

No...that's just sour grapes when the only thing really coming off the line at Stern is Whoa Nellie and Wrestlemania. Wait...are ANY actually coming off the line? He could also be upset that this is one overpriced machine that he can't sell.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No...that's just sour grapes when the only thing really coming off the line at Stern is Whoa Nellie and Wrestlemania. Wait...are ANY actually coming off the line?

actually a very good point.

#22 8 years ago

Kinda weird..
    There were a bunch of NIB WoZs at Pinfest lined up for sale. Wonder why the distributor couldn't get any

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow. Actually I just heard from a JJP distributor the other night that there is still demand for WOZ and that he can't get anymore games in at the moment to sell.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Kinda weird..
    There were a bunch of NIB WoZs at Pinfest lined up for sale. Wonder why the distributor couldn't get any

I'm sure some distributors are sold out at this point. It doesn't like JJP has that many WOZ's left to build.

#24 8 years ago

Gary has Trudeau working overtime trying to figure out how to convert the wrestling ring into Thunderdome. What a lovely day!

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from whocanitbenow:

I talked to Jack this past weekend...he told me that they want to get to the point that they announce a title and begin to ship within weeks.

Takes time to get to that point.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

He could also be upset that this is one overpriced machine that he can't sell.

Rofl. It would be at least 12k

And don't forget he has the future of TH and Lawlors game to live through.

#27 8 years ago

Pinball machines.

#28 8 years ago

As long as they don't stop making WoZ before I buy my new house and get to order one.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Supposedly that's why the production has been held up due to the playfield redesign... It now includes all three of the films. But I don't know for sure, that's just what I have heard.

The original playfield already included all 3 films in the form of the 5 armies under the mountain graphic, which has now been replaced by a giant picture of Smaug setting Laketown on fire. The playfield was redesigned because people complained about the original one, not because it didn't include all 3 films.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Gary has Trudeau working overtime trying to figure out how to convert the wrestling ring into Thunderdome. What a lovely day!

Lol! Actually a Mad Max pin could of been kick ass!

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

As long as they don't stop making WoZ before I buy my new house and get to order one.

He should have the license long into the hobbit production.. U will be able to order

#32 8 years ago

If Jack (a distributor of Jacks games) had said that about Stern, all of The Pinside would be a lake of fire as 100 Smaugs Trolls roamed the sky.

#33 8 years ago

Jack has just posted a pic of himself on facebook to reassure everyone.

#34 8 years ago

I was just told from someone who handles major day to day operations inside the factory that there's going to be an open house in August to tour the place and see games being made. I have no doubt that Jack will deliver The Hobbit. It may be late, but I'd prefer waiting because the quality and craftsmanship of his games is worth it and it's nice he cares enough to deliver a solid product rather than rush a half finished game off the lines.

#35 8 years ago

I'm just afraid the ship has sailed because the movies are already just about forgotten at this point. That can't be good for sales.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm just afraid the ship has sailed because the movies are already just about forgotten at this point. That can't be good for sales.

Damn good point you make there...

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No...that's just sour grapes when the only thing really coming off the line at Stern is Whoa Nellie and Wrestlemania. Wait...are ANY actually coming off the line? He could also be upset that this is one overpriced machine that he can't sell.

You say that as though WoZ is a better theme than either of those two.

Funny that.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

There is something to that. But WoZ was out of theatres for a while before WOZ came out. But of course slightly different as that is a recognised timeless theme by now.

I've only ever watched the movies on planes. Never really needed to put the two together. Hope most buyers feel the same.

Edit--jeez they really are crap movies. The pinball machine might be the best thing wearing the franchise.

#39 8 years ago

Played Whoa Nellie and WoZ at Allentown. No comparison - WoZ was significantly better in every way, hands down, including theme in my opinion. I'd be bored with Whoa Nellie very quickly. WoZ, not so much...

Didn't play WrestleMania - and don't intend to... theme has no value to me.

#40 8 years ago

I'm sure there will be a box set dvd release in the next year lol

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

It may be late, but I'd prefer waiting because the quality and craftsmanship of his games is worth it and it's nice he cares enough to deliver a solid product rather than rush a half finished game off the lines.

Or worse, deliver a game that's LATE AND has a MAJOR design and Q/C flaw.... for example, having to refit hundreds of games with new light boards or aftermarket GI lighting, or....

People in glass houses......

/snark

I think Jack already got bit squarely on the ass for all his dumping on Stern for QC and releasing games that needed 6+ months to get complete code out.

JJP *CAN* hang their hat on developing a new platform, bringing pinball into the new century with a phenomenal LCD and building some uniquely beautiful games.

They DONT (and in honesty shouldn't) have to crap on Stern to make their point. Their games stand on their own (without shitting on the rest of the market).

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm sure there will be a box set dvd release in the next year lol

Likely an extended director's cut.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Funny that.

That's one of the top 10 movies of all time, and it's iconic. There's a difference.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure there is no cutoff point. There is no license to expire

What?! LOL....The Wizard of Oz is licensed from Warner Bros. Jack announced that they renewed the license for 3 more years. It will expire, and there will be a cutoff point (unless there's enough demand to warrant paying for the license again).

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Funny that.

I would take WOZ over WrestleMania or Whoa Nellie

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The Wizard of Oz is licensed from Warner Bros.

And "The Munchkins" are a separate licensed entity. I remember that Jack said dealing with that license was quite difficult at times.

#47 8 years ago

You'd probably over price the "dust" too.

#48 8 years ago

It's JJP's dust. He can't sell it.

#49 8 years ago

I like the dust on my WOZ. No time to clean... too busy playing.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Unfortunately the movies were pretty much forgettable the moment you walked out of the theater.

Luckily movie quality doesn't mean much about game quality, The Shadow is one of my favorite games, and that film was pretty terrible. And even if no one really cares about the movies the theme is still pretty timeless and recognizable.

I'd guess that JJP was hoping they'd have the next LOTR trilogy to work with, and instead they ended up with a big, bloated, and yet somehow empty set of films.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-on-the-assembly-line-right-now-at-jjp/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.