Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Sammy31
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I know, odd comparison huh?! I have the chance to purchase one of these. I've played RBION and enjoyed it and know it's a much deeper game than DH. Is DH fun, does it have decent depth in terms of game play and modes? I'd appreciate thoughts here. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

RBION is the better game, but a lot of this is down to preference.

#3 8 years ago

Both are fun games. And as you know, RBION is much deeper than DH. DH is sort of 90s straightforward fun, and RBION is more complex fun.

Personally I enjoy the shots of DH just a bit more. So I'd go with that if it was my pick.

#4 8 years ago

RBION. Way more to do and a lot more fun.

#5 8 years ago

I could own either of them and be equally happy. fun themes, great dots, great callouts, similar pf layouts.

#6 8 years ago

I have both.

You want a real challenge and invent curse words and have a mental breakdown...Ripleys.

You want to have fun and just play...Dirty Harry. ; )

I have yet to 'beat' Ripleys.(Get to Atlantis or Frog Frenzy) Verrrrrry challenging.

Dirty Harry is a lot more fun and less to think about, but the modes are still interesting enough to keep you coming back.I like the vid modes and call outs to. Much easier if you have company over to understand and explain. My 2 cents.

#7 8 years ago

P.S. Ya' got a Midnight Madness mode to boot on DH!

#8 8 years ago

There is a deep ruleset with a lot to do on RBION, however it has an awful theme and obnoxious music/callouts. Can't stand it.

DH is straightforward and fun, but stories of the gun being a nightmare to maintain have kept me away from looking into purchasing one. Enjoyed playing it at shows.

#9 8 years ago

DH is currently the only game I have in my apartment. Its a lot of fun and has held my attention for awhile. But, I couldn't take it if it was the only game I could play (there's a location with 24 games 7 minutes from my apartment). So what I'm saying is that if you have a collection with multiple games, I would go Dirty Harry. But if you have a small collection I think the deepness of RBION would be my choice.

#10 8 years ago

I've owned both.... sold DH but still have RBION. Ripleys is a better game, however DH is a good game as well (partially because I am a Clint fan)

#11 8 years ago

Ripley's is better...but I would like a DH someday too.

#12 8 years ago

DH is better IMHO

#13 8 years ago

Hmmm...tuffy. Owning both, for me it's RBION... If you like a challenge and that means fun to you.

DH is a very fun game, and has the gun if that interests you. The modes are basically a wash, standard shoot lit shot, but you don;t have to finish them in DH like RBION. Both have a few MBs, RBION has Stern add-a-ball which is cool. RBION is a better game, but DH is probably more fun for an average player/guests.

#14 8 years ago

I actually own both. RBION is the better way to go. It's a much deeper game, and there is always something new to shoot for. I love the humor. People who come over to play, always gravitate to Ripley's.

That said, personally....I love DH. It will never leave my collection. The ramps are harder to hit, and I enjoy the subtle humor.

RBION for the win though

#15 8 years ago

RBION if you enjoy a long and challenging game.

DH if you like difficult shots and a less demanding ruleset.

The obvious answer... is GET BOTH!

#16 8 years ago

All great opinions. I appreciate everyone's thoughts! So far, very helpful.

#17 8 years ago

I have had both, still have Ripley's. Both great games. I miss my DH.

B

#18 8 years ago

I really enjoyed Ripleys, but sold it to make room. Pretty challenging game. My only negative comment is that it felt 'clunky' if that makes sense. Its a baby TZ.

#20 8 years ago

I own ripleys and love it.ripleys has alot going dots are fun lots of wierd Facts while you play try to read them lol ball lost.I have played dh and it's just kinda blah for me cool theme but just fell short on play. Ripleys could use a 44 on the front imo!!!

#21 8 years ago

RBION without a doubt. DH is fun too though, but I've met them both and DH is no RBION.
Terry.

#22 8 years ago
#24 8 years ago

RBION is deep!

DH, Pure Fun!

#25 8 years ago

ripley's by a mile.
DH is a turd IMHO.

#26 8 years ago

Dirty Harry was a snoozer in my opinion. Not much of a challenge. RBION is spectacular. Reaching Atlantis is amazing and brutally hard but worth the challenge. It's not even close for a comparison.

#27 8 years ago

RBION but I do like Dirty Harry also. Both solid titles IMO.

#28 8 years ago

I don't know what people see in Rbion. Once I got it, I was surprised how not uber deep it was. It has ok depth, but it's not the deep game everyone makes it out to be.

The grid is deceiving, and basically lights what it wants to give you - it's not random at all. So many of the modes/MBs are ramps ramps, then hit this. I was underwhelmed, and that doesn't happen much. Mine was a HUO that was in perfect shape, and after getting to Atlantis, I felt there was little else to care about. The Jamaican was about the most annoying thing in pinball. No, I didn't get to froggy MB as I didn't know about it at the time, but all in all, I would not buy it again.

I've never even put my hands on a DH so I can't comment on that game.

#29 8 years ago

I don't have enough time on RBION to make a call other than I enjoyed it.

But I do own Dirty Harry so I'm probably prejudice. It took me a while to warm up to DH but now its one of my go to games. The light show is one of the best and the sounds really make it for me. Clint Eastwood went to Chicago and recorded the voice calls so its really him. I love him for that.

It has a lot of challenging but satisfying shots and the ramps are wicked fun. The left ramp is only available via the upper right flipper and you have to do the DH version of The Picard Maneuver. It is so sweet to nail that shot. - Also the Letter Bomb mode is one of my favorites in all of pinball and rarely can I ever defeat it.

Its one of only 5 or 6 games that have Midnight Madness. (I set my clock wrong so it can go off early) Even the match sequence is fun.

I stayed away from this machine at first because I kept hearing the gun was problematic. Then I read what a stupidly simple fix it was. And I never once had a problem with the gun to begin with.

To each his own guys.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

There is a deep ruleset with a lot to do on RBION, however it has an awful theme and obnoxious music/callouts. Can't stand it.
DH is straightforward and fun, but stories of the gun being a nightmare to maintain have kept me away from looking into purchasing one. Enjoyed playing it at shows.

I've had a DH for a while and the gun's not too bad to maintain. pretty easy, really!

#31 8 years ago

IF you like flow and a fast game DH
IF you like strategy modes, and a lot to do RBION

Owned Both

I enjoyed them both, they both brought different moods to the table based on what I was feeling that day

yeah.. I didn't help sorry

1 week later
#32 8 years ago

Dirty Harry! ... Although I haven't given RBION much playtime

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-more-fundirty-harry-or-rbion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.