• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B3CED748-D0D2-4A9B-B646-98314209A494 (resized).jpeg
8E32670A-972A-4E5C-BBAD-D6D5E613B73B (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

So the upper display on my BoP is doing something that’s not intolerable but odd. Don’t know if it’s a sign it’s on the way out or if there are any fixes or what is causing it. Seems like equal brightness on top and bottom but the top display seems to have a bleeding issue is what I would call it where something that isn’t supposed to be lit up is partially it up. I already checked the ribbon cable so that isn’t it. Is this what is being referred to when it’s “gassed out”? And is the only solution replacement?

8E32670A-972A-4E5C-BBAD-D6D5E613B73B (resized).jpeg8E32670A-972A-4E5C-BBAD-D6D5E613B73B (resized).jpegB3CED748-D0D2-4A9B-B646-98314209A494 (resized).jpegB3CED748-D0D2-4A9B-B646-98314209A494 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Could be a sign of outgassing...at least with the “R” photo...

Second photo is puzzling...I can’t tell if the secondary letters are just a reflection of itself or if that’s actually within the display segments.

#3 4 years ago

The second one does have reflections in it. In the first one the “R” wasn’t any dimmer than anything else it was about to start moving. I was mainly trying to show how on the top display, some of the segments would come on slightly even when they wearnt needed as if they were bleeding over from the other ones

#4 4 years ago

Yeah, I had a very similar thing happen to mine a few days ago...others thought it was the outgassing issue which is what happens to those plasma Displays over time...things start to break down and the gas could pass into other segments. At least that’s how I understand it.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

but the top display seems to have a bleeding issue is what I would call it where something that isn’t supposed to be lit up is partially it up.

This is not out gassing, this a UND chip on the display driver board that is going bad. This chip is leaking voltage partially lighting the segment. These chips are no longer available, so the board can only be repaired with a used chip. The other issue is that these early WPC games with alpha numeric displays are not very common. But there is a led display replacement when you want to replace it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This chip is leaking voltage partially lighting the segment.

But the segment that’s partially lit shouldn’t be lit at all...

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

But the segment that’s partially lit shouldn’t be lit at all...

UND chips convert 5 volt signals from the CPU to 100 volt signal to the display glass. If there is some leakage of the 100 volt side of the chip, there will be partially lit segments were there shouldn't be.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

UND chips convert 5 volt signals from the CPU to 100 volt signal to the display glass. If there is some leakage of the 100 volt side of the chip, there will be partially lit segments were there shouldn't be.

Ah, that makes sense!

#9 4 years ago

Might be a UDN chip going bad, but I have also seen this happen because of the black dust - basically soot/carbon - accumulating on the high voltage carrying foils and parts on display board. The dust is conductive and causes leaks. So clean the display glass connector and boards, use smooth brush or compressed air.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-it-called-when-this-happens?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.